JCB911
Feeding the neighor kids (PIOG)
by JCB911
December 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Do you feed the neighbor kids? 

We have new neighbors, our kids ( age 5 and 2.5) are friends with their kids (ages 4,6, and 10).

They typically play in the yards, and sometimes our house.  When they are in our house they always ask for food.  even when they are just in our yard - they'll open the screen door and ask for food. They ask for the fruit we have on the counter.

When they are in our house I'll typically feed them, outside, eh.  It aggrevates my DH to no end b/c "we didn't do that as kids"  I agree with him, but I don't care that much though. I don't give snacks to my kids unless I'd give to the friends too,  but it's not my kids asking, it's the friends.

I don't think they are poor as they just bought a house, a trampoline, drive a nice car, etc. . . .  But the kids always say they don't have fruit at their house. 

Do you feed your kids'friends?  or tell them to go home and eat (they live right next door BTW).

Today they've been outside, a rare 60 degrees in Dec in WI.  From the 3 kids we've been asked 5 times.

Replies

• krysstizzle
    December 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Sure, we share food. It's not a big deal to me.
  • Claire-Huxtable
    December 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    I just don't care. At least when they are at my house, they are getting healthy snacks. Seriously, a few extra apples or oranges or yogurt containers for the cost of my house being the one they come to is totally worth the cost of me being involved in their life.
  • Sisteract
    December 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Yep-

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I usually do feed them.  It often bugs me, but I typically give in.  Who knows what my kids are doing at their houses.  They could be doing the same thing.

• gardengirl23
    December 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I dont' feed the neighbors.  I asked the same question too when first faced with it.  Personally, I don't want my kids begging other people for food and maybe their parents don't want them to either.  Say "you have to ask your mom" (so at least the mom knows they are begging) or "if you are hungry you need to go home and then come back" 

• krysstizzle
    December 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I also find it weird that moms consider playing, running children and their "begging" for food to be a burden and pain. Struggling to make ends meet and not having enough food for your family is one thing. But generally, when did giving kids a snack become such an inconvenience and horrible thing? 

I just don't get it. 

• JakeandEmmasMom
    December 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    I think it depends on the number of kids and the frequency with which they are asking. During the summer I have anywhere from 2-7 kids at my house (that aren't one of my 3) every single day, all day. Seriously, I've had UPS guys, mail carriers, neighbors, and pizza guys ask if I run an in-home daycare. More than once I've had them clean out the kids' snack drawer the day after I went to the store and it had been stocked for the whole week! As much as I feed some of these kids, their parents should be paying me child support...or at least paying me for babysitting. It's crazy!

Quoting krysstizzle:

I also find it weird that moms consider playing, running children and their "begging" for food to be a burden and pain. Struggling to make ends meet and not having enough food for your family is one thing. But generally, when did giving kids a snack become such an inconvenience and horrible thing? 

I just don't get it. 

• nuclear_sugar
    December 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    I feel your pain...DS1 has a new neighbor friend who is eating me out of house and home!! I don't mind feeding him and will offer snacks if I'm feeding one of the boys while he's over...I ask him to get permission before coming over at dinner. But this kid is a PIG! He will openly complain about portion sizes, saying he's a "growing boy" and that he needs more than everyone else. Now, he is older than my boys (he's 8 and my oldest is 6), but he is also overweight, and I don't really feel comfortable with his attempts to overindulge at my house. He also refuses to put veggies on his plate because he "doesn't eat that junk" at his home. I am just waiting for DS to try that one on me....even though he secretly loves vegetables.