JCB911
Feeding the neighor kids (PIOG)
by JCB911
December 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Do you feed the neighbor kids? 

We have new neighbors, our kids ( age 5 and 2.5) are friends with their kids (ages 4,6, and 10).

They typically play in the yards, and sometimes our house.  When they are in our house they always ask for food.  even when they are just in our yard - they'll open the screen door and ask for food. They ask for the fruit we have on the counter.

When they are in our house I'll typically feed them, outside, eh.  It aggrevates my DH to no end b/c "we didn't do that as kids"  I agree with him, but I don't care that much though. I don't give snacks to my kids unless I'd give to the friends too,  but it's not my kids asking, it's the friends.

I don't think they are poor as they just bought a house, a trampoline, drive a nice car, etc. . . .  But the kids always say they don't have fruit at their house. 

Do you feed your kids'friends?  or tell them to go home and eat (they live right next door BTW).

Today they've been outside, a rare 60 degrees in Dec in WI.  From the 3 kids we've been asked 5 times.

Replies

• GLWerth
    by GLWerth
    December 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting GLWerth:

I'm constantly feeding extra kids. During the summer especially, when they're all around all day.

We go through an enormous amount of popcorn, as that is the current favorite snack of kids and their friends.

When there is no school, I feed lunch to whoever is there.

Sometimes it bugs me, but mostly, I am fine with it.

I was always the stay at home mom in the area, and most of my friends with kids worked.  I worked from home, but that was perceived as "home" lol.  Anyway, if someone needed to be picked up early from school, if it was a single vacation day that the parents were working, or if we had snow, my house was the "go to" house where kids would be dropped off so parents could work and I would take care of the kids.  I sometimes had as many as nine kids here on such days.  They all got fed and cared for.

I didn't really give how much I was feeding everyone a thought.  I was mostly glad everyone was happy and fed and safe.

That's about where I am. Actually, the noise (my three boys plus 4-6 extras make a lot of that) gets to me far more than giving them snacks or lunch.

I like being the house the kids come to, but I wish we had a finished basement for them to go to, since they mostly hang out in my kitchen when they are indoors!

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    December 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Do people really care about shit like this? Not only do I feed my kids friends, I have taken them out to dinner-for ice cream and things like that. It never even OCCURED to me to count the cost of doing so.

Wiat until you have teenaged BOYS coming over to visit-5 teenage boys can decimate the pantry in quick order. In fact I keep snack money where my older boy can get it-so if there is nothing that they fancy-they can ride their bikes (or drive now EKKKK) to the local store and pick up some snacks.  It's never mopre than $10-if they want more than that they can spend their own money-my son makes $75 a week in babysitting/chore money.

• dustinsmom1
    December 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

my neighbor often brings her kids over in the summer to play and rarely brings them snacks or drinks. I hate it because when my kid wants a snack or drink I feel obligated to feed them as well. it pisses me off because don't always have enough to share.

• SuperChicken
    December 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

It is extremely rude to ask for food in someone else's home.    They have clearly never been taught any manners.  At the same time, it would be rude of you to refuse once asked if you are able to provide the food.    And it is also rude to make someone else uncomfortable by pointing out their lack of manners.  So I would give it to them.   Pleasantly.  

I find that so many young people today have zero concept of manners or appropriate social behavior.  It's a shame.  

• sneffy014
    December 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

When my daughter was younger, I always used to give snacks/drinks to any of the kids playing. My neighbors usually did the same. When it was lunch time, I would tell her to come inside for lunch and tell the other kids she would be out soon. They all pretty much did the same. Now that my daughter is a teen, she goes over her friends or they come here and eat. I just pretty much expect it within reason. It's usually only 1 or two of her friends at a time so I am not really bothered by it.

• sneffy014
    December 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Do people really care about shit like this? Not only do I feed my kids friends, I have taken them out to dinner-for ice cream and things like that. It never even OCCURED to me to count the cost of doing so.

Wiat until you have teenaged BOYS coming over to visit-5 teenage boys can decimate the pantry in quick order. In fact I keep snack money where my older boy can get it-so if there is nothing that they fancy-they can ride their bikes (or drive now EKKKK) to the local store and pick up some snacks.  It's never mopre than $10-if they want more than that they can spend their own money-my son makes $75 a week in babysitting/chore money.

I have a teenaged girl and I thought it was bad until my teenaged nephews came to visit. They can chow (plow) through food like nobody's business! I was shocked. No wonder my Sister-in-laws grocery bill is so high!!!

• Mommy_of_Riley
    Jes
    December 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    I have a neighbor like this!

LOL!

I think at that age they are always "hungry" but my neighborhood kids know where my snack cabinet is in the kitchen so they run in and wait. Ha!

The only one that bothers me is a little girl who always asks what I making for dinner and then asks f she can stay because her "daddy can't cook"...
  • Mommy_of_Riley
    Jes
    December 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    Why is it rude for a 4 year old to say "I'm hungry".

That is so common at that age for them to want to snack all day long...

I don't see the big deal. It's not a teenager who knows he can wait to eat at home...

Quoting SuperChicken:

It is extremely rude to ask for food in someone else's home.    They have clearly never been taught any manners.  At the same time, it would be rude of you to refuse once asked if you are able to provide the food.    And it is also rude to make someone else uncomfortable by pointing out their lack of manners.  So I would give it to them.   Pleasantly.  

I find that so many young people today have zero concept of manners or appropriate social behavior.  It's a shame.  

• sweetmissy_05
    December 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM

No they don't come over.

• LynBoz
    by LynBoz
    December 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    My girls are friends with a little boy who lives a few houses down and he asks for fruit snacks every time he is here. He told me that his mommy doesn't buy the good ones like me, lol ( he is 4). His mom said it was fine, so I give him some when he asks.