Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
maciymommieof3
7-year-old girl one of Oregon's youngest medical marijuana patients
November 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM

7-year-old girl one of Oregon's youngest medical marijuana patients

• Prescription Pot.JPG

A 7-year-old girl suffering from leukemia is one of Oregon's youngest medical marijuana patients.

Her mother says she gives her daughter marijuana pills to combat the effects of chemotherapy, but her father, who lives in North Dakota, worries about the effects of the drug on her brain development.

Mykayla Comstock was diagnosed with leukemia last spring. Her mother treats her with a gram of cannabis oil daily, The Oregonian reported.

Mykayla's mother credits the drug for the leukemia's remission. "As a mother, I am going to try anything before she can potentially fall on the other side," said Erin Purchase, 25, who with her boyfriend administers Mykayla's cannabis.

The girl says the drug helps her eat and sleep but also makes her feel "funny."

"It helps me eat and sleep," Mykayla said. "The chemotherapy makes you feel like you want to stay up all night long."

Mykayla's father, who is divorced from the girl's mother, was so disturbed by his daughter's marijuana use that he contacted child welfare officials, police and her oncologist. The father, Jesse Comstock, said his concerns were prompted by a visit with Mykayla in August.

"She was stoned out of her mind," said Comstock, 26. "All she wanted to do was lay on the bed and play video games."

Comstock, who works in a North Dakota oil field, pays child support to Purchase and covers Mykayla's health insurance. He said he observed strange behavior during an August visit and took Mykayla to a private lab, where technicians detected THC levels of an adult daily marijuana user.

Gladstone police contacted the girl's mother, examined Mykayla's medical marijuana paperwork, then told Comstock there was little they could do.

Comstock, who used pot in the past, said he doesn't object to people over 16 using medical marijuana.

But he worries about his daughter's well-being and the potential for addiction.

"She's not terminally ill," Comstock said. "She is going to get over this, and with all this pot, they are going to hinder her brain growth.

"It's going to limit her options in life because of the decisions her mother has made for her," he added.

Oregon law requires no monitoring of a child's medical marijuana use by a pediatrician.

The law instead invests authority in parents to decide the dosage, frequency and manner of a child's marijuana consumption.

Many doctors worry about introducing a child to marijuana when they say other drugs can treat pain and nausea more effectively. Purchase believes marijuana heals, and credits the drug for curing her stepfather's skin cancer.

She herself is an Oregon medical marijuana patient, and her boyfriend is Mykayla's grower. She is so convinced of the drug's safety that she consumed it during the pregnancy and while breastfeeding her second child.

When her symptoms are especially bad, Mykayla's mother and her mother's boyfriend will feed her cannabis-infused food. She's had up to 1.2 grams of cannabis oil in 24 hours, the rough equivalent of smoking 10 joints.

Purchase said Mykayla's first oncologist called the marijuana use "inappropriate."

With marijuana, Purchase said her daughter has been able to fight past the chemotherapy and return to a sense of normalcy.

"She's like she was before," her mother said. "She's a normal kid."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/26/7-year-old-girl-one-oregon-youngest-medical-marijuana-patients/#ixzz2Di5wfDTp

Replies

• circle_of_life
    November 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM

If it helps her, which I believe it is a VERY helpful treatment, then more power to them! It's a hell of a lot safer than most of the drugs they would be giving her to combat the symptoms of the chemo.

• Citygirlk
    November 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    If it stops her pain then I say give it to her, and worry about the othee stuff after she gets better.
  • lga1965
    by lga1965
    November 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Medical marijauna should be legal everywhere for anyone with cancer related pain and chemo side effects. Its good this little girl can be helped.

• Woodbabe
    November 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Dad needs to pull the stick out of his ass. Maybe if he had her in his care when she was really sick, he'd be more understanding!

• smalltowngal
    November 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I wonder what her chances of beating it are. He mother talks about her falling to the other side where her father talks about her getting over it. I wonder if doctors only gave her 6 months and her mother is just trying to make her as comfortable as possible before she passes. It does sound like she's getting awfully high doses some days though. 

• Claire-Huxtable
    November 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

A child wants to lay around and play video games?

Shocking use of MJ!

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    November 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Shocking use of MJ!

People don't LAY around. They lie around. You LAY tile.

I think in ths case, the girl with leukemia deserves to LIE around and use MJ in whatever form they have to give her.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    November 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Lay Versus Lie

First, we'll do the easy part, which is the present tense...

If you exclude the meaning "to tell an untruth" and just focus on the setting/reclining meaning of lay and lie, then the important distinction is that lay requires a direct object and lie does not. So you lie down on the sofa (no direct object), but you lay the book down on the table (the book is the direct object).

This is in the present tense, where you are talking about doing something now: you lie down on the sofa, and you lay down a book.

• Claire-Huxtable
    November 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I was referring to what the father said.   That is all.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Shocking use of MJ!

People don't LAY around. They lie around. You LAY tile.

I think in ths case, the girl with leukemia deserves to LIE around and use MJ in whatever form they have to give her.

• queenanne
    November 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I have no problem with the use of medical marijuana. I've considered it myself.

However, I'm a little concerned with the amount this girl is given. I feel like there are a number of variables that could make that amount appropriate or inappropriate for her needs.

I just hope the mother is being prudent with the usage for her daughter.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN