Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
candlegal
15-Year-Old Afghan Girl Beheaded For Rejecting Marriage Proposal
November 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM

KUNDUZ, Afghanistan (CBSDC) — Afghan police arrest two men for allegedly beheading a 15-year-old girl after her father turned down a marriage proposal.

According to BBC News, the two men who proposed the arranged marriage and attacked her are relatives of the girl.

“Our investigation shows those who killed her were people who wanted to marry her,” a Kunduz province police official told the BBC.

The father did not want his daughter to get married because she was “too young to be engaged.”

CNN reports the girl was killed near her family’s home while bringing back water.

According to The Washington Post, dozens of Afghan women kill themselves each year in order to avoid arranged marriages.

source

Replies

• Angie_O
    by Angie_O
    November 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

very sad =(

• ashellbell
    November 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    That is just so sad and vile. I hope those men get punished for their crime.
  • MeAndTommyLee
    November 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Sad indeed.  The same people that condemn it on here will also be the ones that have no respect for this country or our armed forces.  Our freedoms guarantee this would NEVER happen in America because OUR government won't allow it. 

• tooptimistic
    November 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I am so thankful that I live here in the states, and I don't have to worry about that happening my me or my daughter.  I can't even imagine being a female over there!!

• muslimah
    November 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

What a shame.

• frogbender
    November 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

There are so many places where it is horrible to be female. I am very thankful to live in a country that treats women with respect and as valuable beings rather than property.

• OHgirlinCA
    November 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    That's really horrible...
  • SlingsAndThings
    November 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Awful. Just awful.
  • andiemomo3
    November 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    :-( that breaks my heart.
  • JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    November 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM