Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
pampire
If you hate food stamps...
by pampire
November 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Do you donate to your area food bank/pantry?  If not, what do you think people that are down on their luck should do to feed themselves?  

Replies

• Dzyre1115
    November 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I don't hate food stamps, but I know they are overused and abused and yes I donate regularly to my local food bank, it is attached to the school my children attend!

• smalltowngal
    November 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM

What would you like to do with people who have a lower IQ and will never be able to get a job other than a minimum wage job? 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

Quoting ReginaStar:

For those eligible ABSOUTELY. Most of those people are hardworking individuals that have gotten America to become the richest in the world. No way we should become a 3rd world country b/c the capitalist take, take, take. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So the government should feed you for life?

• Claire-Huxtable
    November 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM

It is not obvious that have issues with the poor. I have issues with people who expect the government to provide everything for them.

If you are going to pretend to educate me on things like farm subsidies and international trade at least bother to use proper grammar and spelling.

Who exactly am I bullying? I haven't insulted the poor. I do a lot to help. Simply because I don't think food stamps should be for life does not make one a bully.

*edited for a typo.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Do you know that Americans pay alot more (I think around twice as much) for sugar than the rest of the world does? Do you know WHY? It's obvious you have serious issues with the poor while completely ignore the real issues of those in power. Your like that 5th grade bully who's scared of the other big kids but will bully the hell out of the second graders b/c their powerless to the big guys. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I am not ignoring anything. I simply disagree that adults should be on food stamps for life because they earn 10 dollars an hour.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Yeah it's easy for you to ignore the big picture. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

The one percent has nothing to do with your belief the government should feed you for life. I simply do not understand that.

• Claire-Huxtable
    November 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Family
    Community

Quoting smalltowngal:

What would you like to do with people who have a lower IQ and will never be able to get a job other than a minimum wage job? 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

Quoting ReginaStar:

For those eligible ABSOUTELY. Most of those people are hardworking individuals that have gotten America to become the richest in the world. No way we should become a 3rd world country b/c the capitalist take, take, take. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

• smalltowngal
    November 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM

And if family and community don't step up? I did a post on here yesterday how many food banks are at record lows. I know I've tripled my donations but not everyone can or will. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Family
    Community

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

• ReginaStar
    November 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I was responding to your post that says you think these people need to use that time to get off PA. I'm just saying they will always be on PA. Maybe not TANIF but foodstamps, medicaid, childcare assistance b/c these jobs they are given makes them dependents for life. Now I had a friend who was on TANIF back when they still helped with college. Her and her sister actually. Now my friend who use to watch my kids for me actually abused the system b/c she didn't report her boyfriend who paid the bills (back before they required ppl to prove how their bills were paid) her sister didn't abuse it b/c she didn't have a boyfriend and actually lived in public housing. Anyhow both ladies went to college and made something of their selves. I'm not sure about the one lady (her housing and PA) but the one who is now married is def not longer on PA, has a good job, a nice house, nice cars, etc.... She made it completely off PA where most ppl do not especially those who will have to work low paying jobs for their entire life. 

Quoting jhslove:

They pay you a salary (albeit a small one, but it's supplemented by a check), and pay for childcare and provide you with transportation, and find jobs that you're qualified for and send you on interviews, yet you say they do "nothing" to actually get you out of poverty? That's a whole lot more help that most people get. How is it that they give you all this help, career services, pay you AND provide you with free childcare and transportation, yet that's not enough? What would be enough for you?

Quoting ReginaStar:

You work for DFCS from 8-5 for less than minimum wage while receiving a TANIF check. They also pay for childcare and will pick you up. When they find jobs your eligible for they send you on interviews. They do nothing to actually get you out of poverty.

• ReginaStar
    November 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM

But I asked you this question already. I asked you from the start. Do you think that foodstamps should be a temp program and those making 7-12 hr for their life should have to starve after a certain time if they were unable to increase their wage to where they could be completely dependent on themselves and you said no. So which is?

Quoting jhslove:

I firmly disagree with this line of thinking. No one is "owed" anything. No one has a right to just sit back and expect the government to feed them for life without giving anything in return. That's a sense of entitlement I just don't understand.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

• Claire-Huxtable
    November 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Then maybe family should be forced to.  If they are so low IQ that they cannot take care of themselves, the family needs to be legally responsible for the person.

And now, since you are going to the what if they have no family, then maybe for those with that low an IQ they can receive the assistance for that long.

But a person simply working 40 hours a week at 10-12 dollars an hour should not be on food stamps for life.   If that cannot support you, then move to a cheaper place, get a second job, get a roommate, move in with family, anything to get off the welfare.

Quoting smalltowngal:

And if family and community don't step up? I did a post on here yesterday how many food banks are at record lows. I know I've tripled my donations but not everyone can or will. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Family
    Community

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

• ReginaStar
    November 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

LOL so you have issues with anyone who chooses to get help. If you are signing up for help obviosuly your expecting them to help you. 

If you can't handle a dicussion with someone who doesn't use proper grammer you can see your way out. 

You most certainly are. You think these poor people who are working their butts off struggling to simply survive. Scared about loosing their homes, starving,etc throughout their lives should go without if they can't figure out a way to make more money than what they are currently eligible to make. You obviously think you are superior to them. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It is not obvious that have issues with the poor. I have issues with people who expect the government to provide everything for them.

If you are going to pretend to educate me on things like farm subsidies and international trade at least bother to use proper grammar and spelling.

Who exactly am I bullying? I haven't insulted the poor. I do a lot to help. Simply because I don't think food stamps should be for life does not make one a bully.

*edited for a typo.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Do you know that Americans pay alot more (I think around twice as much) for sugar than the rest of the world does? Do you know WHY? It's obvious you have serious issues with the poor while completely ignore the real issues of those in power. Your like that 5th grade bully who's scared of the other big kids but will bully the hell out of the second graders b/c their powerless to the big guys. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I am not ignoring anything. I simply disagree that adults should be on food stamps for life because they earn 10 dollars an hour.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Yeah it's easy for you to ignore the big picture. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

The one percent has nothing to do with your belief the government should feed you for life. I simply do not understand that.

• ReginaStar
    November 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Then maybe family should be forced to.  If they are so low IQ that they cannot take care of themselves, the family needs to be legally responsible for the person.

And now, since you are going to the what if they have no family, then maybe for those with that low an IQ they can receive the assistance for that long.

But a person simply working 40 hours a week at 10-12 dollars an hour should not be on food stamps for life.   If that cannot support you, then move to a cheaper place, get a second job, get a roommate, move in with family, anything to get off the welfare.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Family
    Community

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

That right there shows your superior attitude. I guess your to ignorant to realize that some ppl on foodstamps actually don't have a low IQ. Some of them are even college educated. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts