Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Claire-Huxtable
People working on Thanksgiving
November 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Not really a shot at people, although it could be if people have to be offended.   But scanning pies isn't as hard and both signed up for the job they are doing.

Replies

• UpSheRises
    November 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Something to keep in mind for sure.

• LindaClement
    November 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

• UpSheRises
    November 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

MIL is a dispatcher for 9-1-1 and guess what she'll be doing at work Thursday night?

Fielding calls from people complaining that someone cut in front of them in a black Friday line. At least 50 people are going to call 9-1-1 because some one cut i front of them.

• katy_kay08
    November 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

okay, completely random question.  Do you guys have "black friday" up in Canada?  

Quoting LindaClement:

And, contrary to the usual union view of the world: no one is required to STAY in an entry level job.

Feel free to apply for a job that comes with more responsibility and more money...

• smalltowngal
    November 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I can see why they're upset. Most people who work holidays know they'll have to when they are hired for the job. You have Wal-mart managers working for the company for 10+ years and now this is being thrown on them. I had a father who worked on holidays and it wasn't fun. It's one thing if it's a critical job but I don't see why it's necessary for Wal-mart. 

• gludwig2000
    November 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I can understand that someone wishes that they can be home with their families on Thanksgiving, but I was also willing to work my part time job that day as well. Thankfully, I don't have to but I would have, actually thought I would be scheduled, and in my case, the money to pay my bills means more to me. I do have to admit that it does make it easier that my kids are all grown though.

• Kmary
    by Kmary
    November 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Yes....because defending our country and getting an awesome deal on a tv set are of equal importance...

I get it.  They signed up for it.  Blah blah blah.  But is it really soooo awful for people to want to be with their families on a holiday?  If it were feasible to give soldiers the day off for Thanksgiving, we'd sure as hell want to do that too!

• canadianmom1974
    November 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    This wasn't aimed at me, but no, we don't. I'd say our Boxing Day is the closest we come (it's Dec 26). Lots of sales, people line up all night, but I've never heard of the craziness like you do with Black Friday.

Our Thanksgiving is also in Oct, so this Friday is just another Friday. And Thanksgiving is on a Monday, at least the official holiday is, many people do the whole meal on Sunday.

Quoting katy_kay08:

okay, completely random question.  Do you guys have "black friday" up in Canada?  

Quoting LindaClement:

• piratepixie

i was happy to work on the holidays because they would pay me $1 more an hour. i got paid so little the rest of the time that the holiday pay was like finding a pot of gold! i know its sad that i was willing to miss time out with my family for that extra $8 but i had a family to take care of on my own and when your hardly making enough to keep a roof over your head that $8 can really be the thing that decides if you can afford to buy your kid shoes or not....

• Claire-Huxtable

It's not awful.   But they havea job that may require it.

They aren't worse off that soldiers getting shot at on Thanksgiving.

\People want to shop.  If it was possible not to open a store to make sure you made profits to pay your workers, these stores wouldn't.

Quoting Kmary:

Yes....because defending our country and getting an awesome deal on a tv set are of equal importance...

I get it.  They signed up for it.  Blah blah blah.  But is it really soooo awful for people to want to be with their families on a holiday?  If it were feasible to give soldiers the day off for Thanksgiving, we'd sure as hell want to do that too!

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts