muslimah
A Father's Anguish
November 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Jihad Misharawi, a BBC Arabic correspondent who lives in Gaza, tragically became part of the story he's been covering on Wednesday, when an Israeli airstrike killed his 11-month-old son.

A chilling photo showing Misharawi carrying his son's body through al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City was published by the Associated Press and printed on the front page of Thursday's Washington Post.

According to Paul Danahar, the BBC's Middle East bureau chief, Misharawi's sister-in-law was also killed in the the airstrike that hit his home in Gaza. Misharawi's brother was also seriously wounded, Danahar said.

"This is a particularly difficult moment for the whole bureau in Gaza," BBC World editor Jon Williams wrote in a memo to colleagues. "We're fortunate to have such a committed and courageous team there. It's a sobering reminder of the challenges facing many of our colleagues."

At least 10 Palestinians, including Hamas military chief Ahmed al-Jabari, were killed during the Israeli airstrikes on Wednesday, Palestinians officials said.

Israel launched the operation in response to successive days of rocket fire coming out of Gaza. Hamas, meanwhile, warned Jabari's assassination "had opened the gates of hell."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gaza-baby-killed-photo-163958315.html

Replies

• desertlvn
    November 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

That photo is excruciating!

• ashellbell
    November 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    This hurts my heart.
  • nb34
    by nb34
    November 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

So sad. My heart breaks for him and his family. Senseless violence. When are Israelis going to be happy with however much land they have taken forcefully and leave the rest of Palestinians alone? When? I guess the answer is never, since they have the backing of the US and Europe for their continued atrocities they commit against Palestinians.

• muslimah
    November 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quoting nb34:

So sad. My heart breaks for him and his family. Senseless violence. When are Israelis going to be happy with however much land they have taken forcefully and leave the rest of Palestinians alone? When? I guess the answer is never, since they have the backing of the US and Europe for their continued atrocities they commit against Palestinians.

Well about the best we can hope for is that Egypt will shed it's Zionist colors and fuck israel up now that the Brotherhood is in power.

• pamelax3
    November 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM

WOW! That makes my heart break

• jlo1313
    by jlo1313
    November 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I just sunk a little, how horrible and heartbreaking.

• pansyprincess
    November 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

How sad ... I'm sure you could find similiar pics from Israel though, no?

• survivorinohio
    November 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Quoting desertlvn:

That photo is excruciating!

• muslimah
    November 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quoting pansyprincess:

How sad ... I'm sure you could find similiar pics from Israel though, no?

They shouldn't be there occupying and then they wouldn't have to  worry about it.

• stacymomof2
    November 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

That pic is crushing.

That poor man.