Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Moms Behind Bars: "After prison, I was reunited with my baby."
November 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Angelina was in prison for drug use and raising her baby in the prison nursery. After an accident in the nursery separated her from her son for several months, she was thrilled to be reunited with him through a charity that helps women transition after leaving the criminal justice system.

Do you think all moms should have this kind of support after they're released from prison?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• Retrokitty
    November 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    Would you rather people keep committing crimes? She's turning her life around, people make mistakes. The justice system is totally flawed. people who enter rehabilitation (a different type of jail setting) are leas likley to recommit crimes. people who goto jail will most likley recommit in 11 months. you also have to take into factor how these people grew up. sometimes stealing is how you live, some people are never taught it is wrong. Also if she was infor drug use that is completely different. Drugs completely take over a person to the point where they no longer have control and will do anything to get the next hit. It's not black and white there are sooooo many factors.

Quoting kelliewhitney:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand how a mother can commit felonies. Hard times? Don't get me started. My DH is disabled and I work for just above minimum wage (I have a degree, by the way, but the economy here sucks).I think that these programs make fiscal sense, but COME ON! Lay off the sympathy for people who commit crimes. I have never commited a crime in my life.

• MissElissa21
    November 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I think all people should have support like this when released from prison.

• kajira
    by kajira
    November 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM

The sad reality is most drug offenders (even moms) will reoffend.

• crissysworld
    November 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I think the Hour program is a neat program but I don't think these kids should be raised in a prison. They are in prison for comitting a crime and should not get to raise a child in prison.

• meliscool72
    November 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I understand about the mother, every child deserves to have their mother, but what about the fathers? I see so many support groups and programs for mothers and none or slim to none for the fathers, this to me seems like everyone doesn't care abou the fathers...do we really not care much that the children don't have their fathers?

The reason why I am venting about this, is when I was a teenage parent there was a luncheon that this Baptist Church had us go to once a week, they would have all the parents come and then after about a month or two they said the fathers are no longer allowed like they didn't think fathers should be a part of their children's lives. Well....I can say this church is a very broad church and I will not ever go to that church ever again, even though no matter what city I am in the US, I will not go there ever again, they don't care about the fathers

• Phillymama123
    November 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Quoting kelliewhitney:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand how a mother can commit felonies. Hard times? Don't get me started. My DH is disabled and I work for just above minimum wage (I have a degree, by the way, but the economy here sucks).I think that these programs make fiscal sense, but COME ON! Lay off the sympathy for people who commit crimes. I have never commited a crime in my life.

I've never been a doctor. But I am not shocked when other people are. Just because YOU never committed a crime doesn't mean others don't have different situations that lead to different lifestyles with negative impacts. And just because YOU never committed a crime doesn't mean others don't deserve the opportunity to turn their lives around.
  • thedathree
    November 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Quoting Retrokitty:

I'm surprised they let him do that. That you could be changed in main visiting area or he could actually take you anywhere in the facility besides a table. not saying it didn't happen but it wouldn't here. They are super strict and not family friendly. It's red granite correctional facility in redgranite Wisconsin. He's trying to see if he can get to Oshkosh which is supposed to be better for visiting but doesn't see prc again for a while. He needs to finish a program at this prison before he can transfer and is on a wait list.
  • UpSheRises
    November 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM

No, i think families should have that kind of support while a parent or primary caregiver is in prison.

• Sweet_Britt
    November 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    It's good they're with their moms, but I feel sad the baby has to spend the first years of its life living in a jails nursery.

How does it work? How much time does mom get with the baby? How long/old until the baby phases out? Are you only allowed to have 1 year sentences or are there 2-5 year olds there as well?

What kind of life is one in prison, for a child who did nothing. They should be with relatives, enjoying parks, zoos, family time, snugly nap times!

I wasn't able to watch the video as I'm mobile with my toddler on my chest, so they may cover it!
  • thedathree
    November 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Quoting meliscool72:

I understand about the mother, every child deserves to have their mother, but what about the fathers? I see so many support groups and programs for mothers and none or slim to none for the fathers, this to me seems like everyone doesn't care abou the fathers...do we really not care much that the children don't have their fathers?

The reason why I am venting about this, is when I was a teenage parent there was a luncheon that this Baptist Church had us go to once a week, they would have all the parents come and then after about a month or two they said the fathers are no longer allowed like they didn't think fathers should be a part of their children's lives. Well....I can say this church is a very broad church and I will not ever go to that church ever again, even though no matter what city I am in the US, I will not go there ever again, they don't care about the fathers

they probably had a problem with unwed couples :( I'm 36 weeks pregnant and my babys father went back to prison when I was about 7 weeks. I don't know how this will work bc that's all on me to foster that relationship (financially) . He will be gone for 6 years.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN