Cafe Amanda
Moms Behind Bars: "After prison, I was reunited with my baby."
November 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Angelina was in prison for drug use and raising her baby in the prison nursery. After an accident in the nursery separated her from her son for several months, she was thrilled to be reunited with him through a charity that helps women transition after leaving the criminal justice system.

Do you think all moms should have this kind of support after they're released from prison?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• Sammi20
    by Sammi20
    November 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM

That is awesome I am glad she had So much help it really seems to have turned her life around I do think women should have that kind of support after prison! Thats amazing.

• kelliewhitney
    November 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I'm sorry, but I do not understand how a mother can commit felonies. Hard times? Don't get me started. My DH is disabled and I work for just above minimum wage (I have a degree, by the way, but the economy here sucks).I think that these programs make fiscal sense, but COME ON! Lay off the sympathy for people who commit crimes. I have never commited a crime in my life.

• rfhsure
    by rfhsure
    November 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

yeah I think it's a great idea. they don't offer that kind of support for fathers and they really should. I'm sure the women, seeing as they were in prison to begin with are monitored closely and probably don't have much room for slip ups, so I don't see it as endangering the child in any way. If they truly want to regain their ground as mothers and make an effort to do well at it, they should be offered that chance.

• mommapops
    November 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Absolutely! Love how she's turned her life around. And is now counciling othes with substance abuse. She's got a real edge because shrs actually lived thru it. What an amazing program. It totally makes sence! Here you have a sober woman who is able to support her family...get her two other children back in her custody and help other woman to do the same. Had she just been locked up and serve her time chances are most drug addicts will continue the same path if not participating in a program of sime sort whrre they make a true commitment to clean living. This is suvh a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing!!
  • Debmomto2girls
    November 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Yes but with a lot of supervision for a very long time.  There has to be someone keeping track of the women and safety of the children.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    November 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    I agree. I wonder if a drug user who does jail time should be allowed to keep her baby? I'd rather see that baby adopted by a law abiding crime free couple who can love and care for the child.

Quoting kelliewhitney:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand how a mother can commit felonies. Hard times? Don't get me started. My DH is disabled and I work for just above minimum wage (I have a degree, by the way, but the economy here sucks).I think that these programs make fiscal sense, but COME ON! Lay off the sympathy for people who commit crimes. I have never commited a crime in my life.

• Retrokitty
    November 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    I have a memory of visiting my dad in jail at 2 and him changing my diaper. Weird memory I know but it's a bit more interaction then that.

Quoting thedathree:

Yes I do. I wish they'd also have programs for men to be able to.interact more with their children. When my kids visit their dad in prison it's sitting across from him at a low coffee type table and crappy games if they even have one not in use. Only kids under 6 are allowed to sit on dads lap. It's a rough visit for children. I know they have no programs like this in Wisconsin. Great for mothers.

• Retrokitty
    November 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    Many many drug users ;who are not in jail) are allowed to keep their children. CPScan know about the drug use And they still won't do much if the child isn't deemed in danger.

Quoting lga1965:

I agree. I wonder if a drug user who does jail time should be allowed to keep her baby? I'd rather see that baby adopted by a law abiding crime free couple who can love and care for the child.

Quoting kelliewhitney:

• nikkik526
    November 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    Yes
  • lga1965
    by lga1965
    November 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    That's sad for the kids. This is part of the reason for kids doing poorly in school and ending up doing drugs. They have poor role.models.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Many many drug users ;who are not in jail) are allowed to keep their children. CPScan know about the drug use And they still won't do much if the child isn't deemed in danger.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting kelliewhitney: