Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Moms Behind Bars: "After prison, I was reunited with my baby."
November 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Angelina was in prison for drug use and raising her baby in the prison nursery. After an accident in the nursery separated her from her son for several months, she was thrilled to be reunited with him through a charity that helps women transition after leaving the criminal justice system.

Do you think all moms should have this kind of support after they're released from prison?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• pamelax3
    November 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM

What a great program

• thedathree
    November 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    Yes I do. I wish they'd also have programs for men to be able to.interact more with their children. When my kids visit their dad in prison it's sitting across from him at a low coffee type table and crappy games if they even have one not in use. Only kids under 6 are allowed to sit on dads lap. It's a rough visit for children. I know they have no programs like this in Wisconsin. Great for mothers.
  • Euphoric
    November 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I think it's great.

• Firenygirl180
    November 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I did my senior thesis and there are only 9 or 10 states that have prison nurseries.  This was almost 2 years ago now so there could be more now.  A few states have Halfway houses where mothers can live with up to 2 children. girls under 14 and boys under 12, until they get back on their feet with a job and housing.

To get into the nurseries is really hard. You can't have any violent offenses or child abuse or neglect charges.  Even juvenile offenses count.  The programs can only support so many moms at once so lots of moms still have to give their babies up to family or for adoption sometimes within hours of birth.

• annabl1970
    November 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Do you think all moms should have this kind of support after they're released from prison?

YES YES YES

This program is MORE beneficial FOR KIDS, than for moms.

BUT, it has to be checked,  the moms, who is in this program, NOT a danger to their kids.

• Aislinn
    by Aislinn
    November 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I think they would re offend less often. Actually the program that allows the babies to stay in the facility with them has proven mothers reoffend like, 70% less than if their babies were taken at birth. It is highly dependant on the crime, but non violent drug cases and such? I am all for it. Clean them up, give them classes and keep them out of the system and in their kids lives!

• preemiemommy
    November 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Bump for later
  • ihave1
    by ihave1
    November 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting annabl1970:

YES YES YES

BUT, it has to be checked,  the moms, who is in this program, NOT a danger to their kids.   I was going to say this.  This is great as long as they are not a danger to their kids.

• annabl1970
    November 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting ihave1:

Quoting annabl1970:

YES YES YES

BUT, it has to be checked,  the moms, who is in this program, NOT a danger to their kids.   I was going to say this.  This is great as long as they are not a danger to their kids. Yes, otherwise it will be "Bear's favour" (the intentions were good but the plan backfired and the results ended up being counterproductive)

• ExquisiteMomof2
    November 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I think ALL people should have this type of support if they are true and legit, as well as honest about changing their life for the better. Not just moms. I wish more and more states and counties had help like this.

Here in my state and county we will never see such a program until the uglyness that is Sheriff Joe Arpaio is out of office. Sickening that people keep voting that yahoo into office. He treats offenders with such little regard and respect that of course they go out and re offend. We have a saying here, once you're in the system, you never get out, thanks to Joe. =/ If he only gave a little bit of respect and dignity, then we would see a true decrease in crime. I have studied this, this is what my first degree is in. That man, and all like him, need the boot.

The pendulum shows that we do better the other way, with programs such as this one.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts