Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
blues_pagan
Abortion debate...yep I said it...Abortion Debate
November 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM

The idea that there is a war on "unborn children" is completely and utterly ridiculous.  Want to know why?

Here

http://www.sinauer.com/pdf/BioethicsCh02.pdf

or let me just summarize it for you.

Our basic idea in the US about when life begins is largely based on our own theological view of the world.  Being a predominately Christian nation that means that for many, they believe life starts at conception.  But, here is the thing, not everyone believes that way.  In some cultures still going today they believe that a fetus/baby is not a person until they utter their first cry, take their first breath, are named, can speak the language or until a year of age.  Now, this does not by any means imply that I support post birth abortion but it does add some interesting perspective on beliefs and how they affect our view of the world.

Science, which is a much more tangible and reliable arguement than the theological view point, is not even in agreeance with when life beings.  There are 4 different definitions of when life begins.  

Fertilization:  this is the idea that life begins at conception

Embryologic: around day 14 when the fetus has it's own set DNA

Neurological:  when the acquisition of brain wave patterns or EEG.  This is also used to determine when someone dies and is the one that I agree with the most.  This is usually between 24-27 weeks which coincides with many laws on when abortion is no longer acceptable.

At or near birth:  The basic idea that you become human when you can survive on your own. 

So even science disagrees when it comes to this arguement.

With all of that said, why is it that when it comes to this discussion so many want to impose your beliefs on others regardless if that person shares that belief or not.  Until science can agree with when life begins I think that it is safe to say that what one woman does in her life and with her body has no direct impact on your life and should therefore be left for her to handle.  

Replies

• mikiemom
    November 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Right because each woman has that choice and the consequences of that choice are hers alone. My personal belief is that life does not begin until a Fetus can survive on it's own outside the uterus. Maybe modern medicine will get to the point where we can safely remove the zygote from the mother and implant it into one of the anti-choice people. If they feel the zygote should be brought to term they can be responsible for it as well.

On the use of anti-choice versus pro-life. I don't use pro-life because these people stop caring about the the so called life once it leaves the uterus.

• romalove
    November 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    There is also the competing interests argument for those who believe life starts at the earlier time frames. The mother is a person with rights and should be able to determine what is in her best interest when it comes to childbearing.
  • macbudsmom
    November 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I believe that abortion is wrong in all circumstances unless carrying the pregnancy to term could result in death.

What I dont understand is how do the pro-choicers not consider the growing child a life when by the 4th week from conception it already has a beating heart?  I believe life starts at conception, but for those who don't why don't you at least accept the heart beat as proof of life?

• mikiemom
    November 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

why don't you accept that every woman has the human right to decide how often and when she has children?" why don't you accept that at 4 weeks the embryo is not able to survive on it's own and therefore is not a viable human being, there is no brain function at that point.

Quoting macbudsmom:

I believe that abortion is wrong in all circumstances unless carrying the pregnancy to term could result in death.

What I dont understand is how do the pro-choicers not consider the growing child a life when by the 4th week from conception it already has a beating heart?  I believe life starts at conception, but for those who don't why don't you at least accept the heart beat as proof of life?

• macbudsmom
    November 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I do accept that.  I believe in birth control, family planning, etc... Birth control, when used correctly, is generally more than 95% effective.

Quoting mikiemom:

why don't you accept that every woman has the human right to decide how often and when she has children?"

Quoting macbudsmom:

• EireLass
    November 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Do you know that Pro-Choice does not mean pro-abortion?

Quoting macbudsmom:

• EireLass
    November 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I believe that life begins at conception. I am also pro-abortion.

• romalove
    November 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Quoting macbudsmom:

I do accept that.  I believe in birth control, family planning, etc... Birth control, when used correctly, is generally more than 95% effective.

Quoting mikiemom:

why don't you accept that every woman has the human right to decide how often and when she has children?"

Quoting macbudsmom:

I differentiate between sentient and non-sentient life.

• GoddessNDaRuff
    November 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You missed that whole your theological, moral stance and opinions should only effect you and not other people who may or may not agree with them and that you should make the choice you feel is best for you while others do the same for them part, didn't you?

Quoting macbudsmom:

• blues_pagan
    November 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Because a person who is brain dead can still have a heat beat when placed on a machine to help that persons body do what it needs to do.  That is what the umbilical cord does.  It simply keeps the fetus alive and functioning even though there is no discernable EEG.  The fetus cannot live and has no viable life without the cord or the mother to which the cord is attached.

Quoting macbudsmom:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts