survivorinohio
Conservatives who disagree with social programs should not work in community action.
October 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Do you think?

Replies

• survivorinohio
    October 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Things that make you go Hmmm.

Quoting Sisteract:

I disagree.

Many disagree with government sponsored social programs, but not in helping on an individual level. Most will state that they believe in focusing on churches- and they personally donate time, talent and treasure via this avenue.

Although, that poverty map that has been circulating in the last month seems to indicate something different. It shows that the south is riddled with poverty and has the highest rates of government assistance. Church involvement and attendance is also quite high in this same region. Something is not adding up. Obviously, church donations {time, talent, treasure} are not meeting needs. I wonder if people do not donate as much as they profess?

• Collier3
    October 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Why is that ppl find it hard to believe that conservatives can be giving. We do not agree with open ended government social programs, but we do not want the complete end to them. hey should provide assistance to an individual during a tough time in their lives to get them back on track. Not to be the only way to get by for years on end.  There is a big difference to wanting to limit the amount of help and getting ride of it completely.

Most conservatives I know are active in programs, wether it be food banks, donating to homeless shelters, etc... They want to help, but they want to help on their terms, not what the government tells them they have to do.

• thecoffeefairy
    October 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    I think we would be better off with more programs that gave people a hand up. I consider myself liberal but have some libertarian views.

Quoting radioheid:

Why not?

There's a difference between open-ended welfare programs and programs that require responsibility.

I've long said that if a miracle happens and I come into a couple hundred-million, I'd love to open a program that offers job training, transportation and on-site housing to young people between 21 and 40 who are interested in a permanent solution to poverty. However, those people would be thoroughly screened to determine who would be a good investment, and who is likely to fail. Those who have been severely disadvantaged but show potential would receive the opportunity to obtain a high school diploma and driver's license (if necessary), certification training or an associate's degree from an accredited institution, very low-cost housing, daycare services and preventative medical care while they are in the program, and transportation to and from school and appointments in exchange for janitorial, maintenance/groundskeeping or secretarial work for the foundation while they are enrolled in the program.

Of course, I'm not considered a "true" conservative because I'm a Libertarian.

• pamelax3
    October 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I disagree with a lot of the social programs the government offers. I feel that the best hand out you can get is a hand up. I volunteer a lot in my community and do so because the people who come to the food bank, the clothing outlet and the soup kitchen are truly in need and are not expecting anyone to take care of them. Most return to help when they get back on their feet to show how appreciative they are to have had these programs.

• survivorinohio
    October 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Collier3:

Why is that ppl find it hard to believe that conservatives can be giving. We do not agree with open ended government social programs, but we do not want the complete end to them. hey should provide assistance to an individual during a tough time in their lives to get them back on track. Not to be the only way to get by for years on end.  There is a big difference to wanting to limit the amount of help and getting ride of it completely.

Most conservatives I know are active in programs, wether it be food banks, donating to homeless shelters, etc... They want to help, but they want to help on their terms, not what the government tells them they have to do.

Community Action is a government agency that deals with food shelter and utility assistance with government programs here.  Just for clarification.

• LadyBugMom09
    October 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    Conservatives are NOT against social programs. They are against being on social programs for life and not having any incentives to get people OFF of them. The only people who should be on them for life are the elderly and disabled. Every able bodied person who falls on hard times should take the necessary steps to get off of it some day in the near future.

ETA: I am conservative and I run the food bank in my church. :) And conservatives typically donate MORE of their own money to charity than liberals do.
  • Chellie13
    October 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I don't like labels like "conservative" or "liberal"  since I can be grouped by both and anywhere in between.  I think it's important for all people to have opportunity to work in any sector.  This would result in a more diverse outlook and ideas to help move things in a forward direction.

• KenneMaw
    October 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Why not?   I think most conservatives truly want to help people - they desire to use their efforts, means, etc...to help those they choose to help. They do not believe in being taxed and the money going to folks who view assistance as a lifestyle instead of a temporary situation.   The original statement would remove most religious organizations from assisting with social programs.

• etsmom
    by etsmom
    October 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I think I want to disagree with this. A person can have compassion to want to help on their own and still not feel that tax funded services should be for everyone. If a person is a member of a church and charity in something they truly believe in, they shouldn't be excluded for being helpful because they are conservative in their political views. There are so many who abuse programs that are tax funded that it goes from charity to the blatent ripping-off tax payers.

• furbabymum
    October 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

The usual standard for church giving is 10%. 10% of poverty level wages isn't going to make that much of a difference. This might explain why church attendance hasn't suddenly brought everyone out of poverty.

Quoting Sisteract:

I disagree.

Many disagree with government sponsored social programs, but not in helping on an individual level. Most will state that they believe in focusing on churches- and they personally donate time, talent and treasure via this avenue.

Although, that poverty map that has been circulating in the last month seems to indicate something different. It shows that the south is riddled with poverty and has the highest rates of government assistance. Church involvement and attendance is also quite high in this same region. Something is not adding up. Obviously, church donations {time, talent, treasure} are not meeting needs. I wonder if people do not donate as much as they profess?