Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
_Kissy_
Wisconsin Lawmaker Claims ‘Some Girls Rape Easy’
by _Kissy_
October 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM
A Wisconsin state lawmaker endorsed by Paul Ryan has come under criticism for suggesting that “some girls rape easy.” While discussing a case in which “a 17-year-old high school senior was charged with sexual assault for having sex with an underage girl in the school’s band room,” State Rep. Roger Rivard (R) told the Chetek Alert newspaper in December that his father taught him that some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant. He is now claiming that those remarks were taken out of context and has issued a statement condemning sexual violence:

On Wednesday, Rivard told the Journal Sentinel the article did not provide full context of his comments and that his father’s exact words had been slightly different from how they appeared in the Chetek Alert.

He told the Journal Sentinel that his father had advised him not to have premarital sex, and he took that seriously.

“He also told me one thing, ‘If you do (have premarital sex), just remember, consensual sex can turn into rape in an awful hurry,’ ” Rivard said. “Because all of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she’s not going to say, ‘Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.’ All that she has to say or the parents have to say is it was rape because she’s underage. And he just said, ‘Remember, Roger, if you go down that road, some girls,’ he said, ‘they rape so easy.’

“What the whole genesis of it was, it was advice to me, telling me, ‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’ So the way he said it was, ‘Just remember, Roger, some girls, they rape so easy. It may be rape the next morning.’

“So it’s been kind of taken out of context.”

Ryan endorsed Rivard on August 9, just two days before he was selected to be Mitt Romney’s running mate. “Roger needs to be reaffirmed to get this job done and fix the State of Wisconsin,” Ryan said.

http://m.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/state-legislator-criticized-for-comments-on-rape-hj76f4k-173587961.html

Replies

• UpSheRises
    October 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

It wasn't taken out of context.

Sorry dude, it was a stupid thing for your dad to way.

• JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    October 11, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    "some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant"

"‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’"

Sad to say, but I've encountered these types of scenarios many times during the course of my police work. Girls who have alleged rape only to be found out that it wasn't. Even women who have cheated on their husbands or boyfriends have used similar lines.

So yes, I can see how the quote was taken out of context. We shouldn't be surprised however, because this is what the media does.
  • GLWerth
    by GLWerth
    October 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM

So, do you begin with the assumption that the woman is lying?

I ask because that seems to be the direction we're headed as a society. Women are always lying about rape....or so we're told, poor, poor men NEVER rape, they are just misunderstood, it was totally consensual, she likes it rough, etc..

What this man said was wrong and shows his attitude toward women in general.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

"‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’"

Sad to say, but I've encountered these types of scenarios many times during the course of my police work. Girls who have alleged rape only to be found out that it wasn't. Even women who have cheated on their husbands or boyfriends have used similar lines.

So yes, I can see how the quote was taken out of context. We shouldn't be surprised however, because this is what the media does.

• AMBG825
    by AMBG825
    October 11, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    Or the young girls who break curfew because they were with their boyfriend. Or the parents don't like the boyfriend.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

• SLTmom
    by SLTmom
    October 11, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    I'm sorry, I was under the impression that if the girl was underage, then it IS rape, as a minor cannot consent.

But, hey, you know, context.

/sigh

• mikiemom
    October 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I swear to god all of these ignorant fucks need to be taken out back and shot straight through groin and then head. sickening.

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    October 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM

This is exactly why most women don't even bother to report they've been raped. Why bother, when you are going to be criminalized and made to feel like you're lying?

Quoting GLWerth:

I ask because that seems to be the direction we're headed as a society. Women are always lying about rape....or so we're told, poor, poor men NEVER rape, they are just misunderstood, it was totally consensual, she likes it rough, etc..

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

• JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    October 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    No. Never begin with the assumption that the girl or woman is lying. However, in my Dep't., rape victims are all interviewed by the Special Victims Unit. Usually that is where the deception is revealed or the complaint is substantiated. Once they are done with their interviews - we move forward or don't with the complaint.
    Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

• JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    October 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    Now YOU are taking what I said out of context. Did I EVER say that's the way they are treated?

We start with the concept that all victims are telling the truth. That doesn't mean that during the course of an interview and further investigation the story unfolds into something else or the complaint is indeed founded.

Police Officers, detectives etcetera cannot afford to take a person's word "at face value". We would not be doing our jobs correctly, or thoroughly - regardless of crime.

Rape victims and children are always referred to The Special Victims Unit. They specialize in conducting interviews in these types of cases. What they determine us where the investigation leads.

Don't put words in my mouth.
    Quoting cjsbmom:

This is exactly why most women don't even bother to report they've been raped. Why bother, when you are going to be criminalized and made to feel like you're lying?

Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

• JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    October 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    It depends on what consent is in that State and the gap between the ages of the "complainant" and "perpetrator".

Quoting SLTmom:

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that if the girl was underage, then it IS rape, as a minor cannot consent.

But, hey, you know, context.

/sigh

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts