Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Moniker
What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?
by Moniker
October 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

Replies

• tami_n_joe
    October 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I think that tv shows now of days are just a bit worse then when i was a kid. My son watches spongebob and i have watched a few episodes and thought wow that  not appropreate for kids but when you are a kid you dont think like that. same with shows i watched as a kid in the 90's. ren and stimpy is so nasty and rocos modern life is also nasty throwing in stuff that kids wouldnt think of as being naughty but adults will get a giggle about. i think its all about not only entertaining the kids but also the parents. I still dont agree with the stuff then throw in them.

• bungas
    by bungas
    October 11, 2012 at 3:21 AM

i really agree with you.

• TSNDDY
    by TSNDDY
    October 11, 2012 at 3:41 AM
    If tv is so much worse now, why does the old sesame street have a warning label that it's intended for adult audiences?
  • TigressLily
    October 11, 2012 at 3:44 AM

And straying to cartoon network but I watched some of these shows growing up as well... Angry Beavers, Cow & Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff girls... thinking back about those shows there's really not much difference, they were just a bit cuter back then.

Quoting Mipsy:

Have you guys watched the shows that were on when we were kids though? They were just as bad, like aah real monsters and rugrats and even the original looney toons.

• sneffy014
    October 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Quoting shannonnigans:

I think if what I grew up watching, and I'm hardly concerned about the Disney Channel. By the way, while I'm perfectly fine with it, both shows you cited (Family Ties and Cosby) portrayed working moms, whose career was as important as their kids. In the case of the Cosby show, lots of double entendre between the parents, and both shows featured male teens who pursued and got plenty of action. Both featured teen girls who were kind of slutty with Denise secretly marrying and Mallory being portrayed as easy and moronic. Of course, they were just comedies. More importantly, they were just TV shows. TV shows have one job only - pull in advertising revenue.

Why not just buy DVDs of the shows you think are acceptable - that would seem to be the obvious solution and it's not even that expensive.

I agree. I am wondering the ages of most of the moms on here who object to the programming. I am in my 40s and grew up watching all different types of shows like Roller Derby, Batman, Bugs Bunny, Family Ties, Cosby Show, All in the Family, Wrestling, etc. I also listened to plenty of music that had lyrics with double entendres. I grew up fine and don't censor my daughter too much. I was taught that television (and music) is entertainment and not real life. My daughter knows this as well and is very well adjusted and an honor student.. All of the kids that I knew growing up that were restricted from certain TV shows, music, movies and other activities sought those things out when their parents weren't looking. The allure of Forbidden Fruit is very tempting to kids and teens.

• wickedfiress
    October 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    The image in my head of you shifted to this after reading this reply. Lol

Quoting toomanypoodles:

My kids are nearly grown now, but we never allowed those channels---or cartoon network or anything.  We watched Veggie Tales tapes and quality children's shows if we watched anything at all.

I think television is a tool of Satan.  Too much indoctrination towards a worldly viewpoint. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts