Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Moniker
What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?
by Moniker
October 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

Replies

• NinaJean
    October 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Honestly, I think most of the content is absurd. Using fake or vulgar words and not teaching kids anything of value for the most part. I can't even stand looney tunes anymore, because instead of just being ridiculous as it was when I was growing up, the content is much more adult, or dark and vulgar. 

It's just sad that shows think they have to resort to that crap to keep an audience.  

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    October 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM
    What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.
  • Moniker
    by Moniker
    October 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I agree. Why does it have to be so dark to hold children's interest these days? It's like a vicious cycle, this is what children know as entertainment so this is what they want but they want it because it's what they are used to, so it self perpetuates. 

Quoting NinaJean:

Honestly, I think most of the content is absurd. Using fake or vulgar words and not teaching kids anything of value for the most part. I can't even stand looney tunes anymore, because instead of just being ridiculous as it was when I was growing up, the content is much more adult, or dark and vulgar. 

It's just sad that shows think they have to resort to that crap to keep an audience.  

• Moniker
    by Moniker
    October 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Quoting Mipsy:

What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.

Disney Jr and Nick JR aren't that bad. The shows I'm referring to are, iCarly, Victorious, Zeke and Luther, Drake and Josh, etc. 

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    October 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM
    Have you guys watched the shows that were on when we were kids though? They were just as bad, like aah real monsters and rugrats and even the original looney toons.
  • motha2daDuchess
    October 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM
    I abhor regular shows on nick or disney. phineas and ferb is good..but it is just disney jr or nick jr here
  • kailu1835
    October 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Agree.  There's a lot on most shows that just seem overly violent or overly mature for the target audience.  A friend's kid was owatching iCarly the other day, and Gibby's pants fall down while on the Jimmy Kimmel show, and so half the show is spent discussing how his privates were seen on live TV.  The other half I wouldn't know, because I put my kids in the car and left (I was leaving anyway, I wasn't leaving over a silly tv show). 

It's gotten to where I don't even allow shows that are seemingly harmless, like Sponge Bob.  There is this constant fighting and bickering going on, someone is always getting hurt, etc etc.  Enough is enough.  My kids watch Qubo

• kameka
    by kameka
    October 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

I abhor regular shows on nick or disney. phineas and ferb is good..but it is just disney jr or nick jr here
  • SEEKEROFSHELLS
    October 10, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Where have you been? On the original " Little Mermaid" film the animators had a " Hay Day" and stuck in sexually suggestive backgrounds. Penis' come to mind. An outcry occured and it was pulled, and they had to do another Release, minus the suggestive backgrounds. Got to love those animators! I suspect a few were fired. Watch the movie " MULAN," Great story of China going to war and conscripting I member from each family across China. Mulan's family wants her to be meek and mild and get married, and shut her mouth. She is too outspoken. Her dad is sick, she cuts off her hair and sneaks into the Chinese army ( under penalty of death because she is a woman) to defend her family's honor. Nice story right? The ancestors that are floating around and sending a guardian to protect her also agrue amonst them. Nice story so far right? The ancestors argue and one ghost ancestor accuses another ghost ancestor of having an uncle that is a CROSS DRESSER! Now what the hell is cross dressing doing in a kids cartoon? Let alone Disney. I don't like Nick, not allowed to watch Nick at night, and Disney to my mind is suspect too WTH is right. Know what your kids watch!

• Moniker
    by Moniker
    October 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I only wish I had done it sooner. What is Qubo? 

Quoting kailu1835:

Agree.  There's a lot on most shows that just seem overly violent or overly mature for the target audience.  A friend's kid was owatching iCarly the other day, and Gibby's pants fall down while on the Jimmy Kimmel show, and so half the show is spent discussing how his privates were seen on live TV.  The other half I wouldn't know, because I put my kids in the car and left (I was leaving anyway, I wasn't leaving over a silly tv show). 

It's gotten to where I don't even allow shows that are seemingly harmless, like Sponge Bob.  There is this constant fighting and bickering going on, someone is always getting hurt, etc etc.  Enough is enough.  My kids watch Qubo

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts