Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
stacymomof2
What, exactly is the claim that the September unemployment numbers are falsified about, anyway?
October 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

So it has been repeatedly stated in threads on this board that the report is somehow false, or misleading in some way.  What is behind this claim?  Do people really think that the numbers are false?  Do they think that the number is only down because of people who have dropped out of the workforce?   Are there really people who think Obama can influence the BLS to put out false numbers?

It seems to be the latest Republican talking point.  

ETA Here is the link to the Sept report.  You can also read past reports and look up stats, even for the "real" unemployment number.  They will explain what each number means and who it will include, it is an interesting site. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Replies

• toomanypoodles
    October 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Falsified numbers!?!?  GASP!  Say it isn't so!

• stacymomof2
    October 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I think everyone is perfectly aware of how bad the job market is.  So you consider yourself knowledgable...what was YOUR take on the Sept BLS report?

Quoting asfriend:

The problem is that people are not working.

Amazing the lack of any math, civics, or government knowledge the majority of you all have.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

From what I have read, people are saying that the numbers are skewed due to holiday hiring and that those who have stopped looking for work are skewing the numbers as well.

Forget that people are working, it is never enough for some.

• GotSomeKids
    October 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I don't think it really matters.  Both parties do this.  The Dems said this about Bush's numbers too.  As for the numbers, they are derived not statistics from unemployment offices, but household surveys.

Edit:  They change who they survey by 25% each time they conduct the survey.  So, if they continued to survey the "same" households, it would be a truer number.  So, in fact they could or could not be accurate.  I think though, the gist of the numbers are probably pretty close, but then this could be true regardless of who is in office.

• FromAtoZ

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The same exact things Dems pointed out is wrong when numbers were released during Bush years. The numbers donot reflect the millions unemoloyed but NOT on the unemployment rolls. So the problem is in not counting the millions who have run out of unemploment but who are still not working. Or so Dems insisted was the case 5 years ago.

I am not responding to this as a Dem, a Rep or otherwise.  

I want to ensure I am clear as to what you are saying. :)

Those who no longer are eligible to collect unemployment are no longer calculated in to the numbers of those unemployed, yet many feel they are added in to the 'working' numbers when it is not clear if those people actually are.

Am I following you?

This has happened time and time again, the argument going back and forth.

I am not arguing that these numbers are absolutely correct.  I can't do that.  Nor can I state they are absolutely false.  Skewed, well, lets face it, every one does this at one time or another, especially during an election year.

• stacymomof2

Tell me what numbers were "falsified."  This is what I am trying to figure out.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

• FromAtoZ
    October 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I don't think it really matters.  Both parties do this.  The Dems said this about Bush's numbers too.  As for the numbers, they are derived not statistics from unemployment offices, but household surveys.

Now that is interesting.

So, if these surveys are being completed by actual individuals instead of computer generated, they can't be quite as skewed as otherwise.  Well, then again, people are known to lie.  ;)

• FromAtoZ
    October 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Exactly how are the numbers falsified?  You do have an opinion on this, yes?  

• toomanypoodles
    October 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

Tell me what numbers were "falsified."  This is what I am trying to figure out.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

They are not counting the people that have just given up trying to find a job---not actively looking any longer. 

The unemployment record has not really improved enough to give Obama the swing he's wishing for. 

• piratepixie
    October 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

its election season so anything that favores the most wanted party to win people will do. even if they have to out right lie to do it........... frankly i dont want to hear anymore about romney or obama... no matter who we vote for we are fucked anyways.

• toomanypoodles
    October 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Exactly how are the numbers falsified?  You do have an opinion on this, yes?  

Nah...I'm waiting for FACTS.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts