futureshock
People who value honesty should not be voting for Mitt Romney. The fact that people will still vote for him speaks volumes about them.
October 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

When did we, as a culture, become so accepting of lies?

Quote:

Paul Krugman Blasts Media Over Presidential Debate: Press Can't 'Handle Flat-Out Untruths' (VIDEO)

Paul Krugman hammered the media over its handling of the first presidential debate, specifically what he said was its failure to fact-check Mitt Romney.

President Obama's performance on Wednesday dominated the roundtable discussion on ABC News' "This Week" Sunday. Instead of piling criticism on Obama like other pundits, however, Krugman took aim at factual inaccuracies made by Romney during the debate. Watch his remarks at the 6:39 mark in the clip above.

"I don’t know whether to blame Lehrer or the president but it was kind of amazing cause Romney was not only saying things that are not true, he was saying things that his own campaign had previously said weren’t true," he said.

The Nobel Prize-winning economist alleged that Romney displayed "contempt" for the press and assumed that "the news media will not cover me on this. As long as I say it forcefully, they'll say I won."

"Oh, so you’re saying the press is against Obama now?” panelist Mary Matalin asked in disbelief.

“The press just doesn’t know how to handle flat-out untruths," he said.

Other members of the roundtable objected. James Carville said that Obama could have confronted Romney "on any number of issues" during the debate, while Peggy Noonan insisted that it was "the president's job" to correct Romney's inaccuracies. Jonathan Karl claimed that Obama was also "loose with the facts."

"No, those were minor compared with Romney’s," Krugman said, when Karl gave specific examples.

to see the accompanying video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/07/paul-krugman-media-debate-reaction_n_1946360.html

Replies

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    October 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Obama lies too.  They are politicians.  I'd be shocked to find one that hasn't.

• grandmab125
    October 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Paul Krugman is an ass, and having a temper tantrum.  He's too used to the media fawning all over Obama, and when they actually found fault with his less than stellar performance, he comes up with this.  Did he miss all of the so called fact checkers out there?

• FromAtoZ
    October 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Quoting LoriKeet:

The fact that people will vote again for Obama shows they haven't learned a damn thing in the last four years or they are among the 47% who don't pay income tax!

I love when people believe their opinions of others are 'fact'.

• futureshock
    October 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Quoting butlerro1013:

The GOP has already declared that facts are of no use to them in this election...

lol

I recall them saying something like they aren't going to let fact checkers interfere with their campaign, or something to that effect.

• futureshock
    October 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Quoting lga1965:

That is the part that is so frustrating. Its always "Liberal bias" ....everything can be discounted by blaming Liberals. Such a lame and dishonest way to think.

Quoting Cymbeline:

A majority of them do not believe that the things he said are untrue. Even with presented with evidence, they call it "Liberal bias".

It is what happens when you let the red or the blue cloud your judgment.

Unfortunately for them, "liberal bias" = reality.

• futureshock
    October 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Quoting TB78:

I believe that the lying has been going on for decades! That's why it's called "Mudslinging"

I always thought of mudslinging as candidates slinging insults at each other.  Those insults are usually lies so your point is still correct.

• futureshock
    October 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

This post is a joke, right?

To call Mr. Obama a liar would be kind.....

He is a scummy person.

Period.

I am pretty sure you know nothing about him.  You only know what lies you have been fed, in my humble opinion.

• futureshock
    October 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting TB78:

I believe that the lying has been going on for decades! That's why it's called "Mudslinging"

Mudslinging is not the same as out right lying.

Mudslinging is calling someone who is Pro-Choice pro-abortion. Sure it is still a lie but it's the message they are trying to convey through that lie when they say it-An exaggeration. (At least I hope) They understand no one is actually pro-abortion.

However, an out right lie is completely different. If Romney says that half of the Green Companies that got stimulus money failed when in fact only 3 of nearly 3 dozen have failed it is an out right lie. Not an exaggeration as the one above but a complete lie.

Lying is not the same as mudslinging.

Good point.

• nb34
    by nb34
    October 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Romney has one amazing ability, he can lie with a straight face over and over and over again.

• futureshock
    October 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quoting nb34:

Romney has one amazing ability, he can lie with a straight face over and over and over again.

lol

yup