Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
futureshock
People who value honesty should not be voting for Mitt Romney. The fact that people will still vote for him speaks volumes about them.
October 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

When did we, as a culture, become so accepting of lies?

Quote:

Paul Krugman Blasts Media Over Presidential Debate: Press Can't 'Handle Flat-Out Untruths' (VIDEO)

Paul Krugman hammered the media over its handling of the first presidential debate, specifically what he said was its failure to fact-check Mitt Romney.

President Obama's performance on Wednesday dominated the roundtable discussion on ABC News' "This Week" Sunday. Instead of piling criticism on Obama like other pundits, however, Krugman took aim at factual inaccuracies made by Romney during the debate. Watch his remarks at the 6:39 mark in the clip above.

"I don’t know whether to blame Lehrer or the president but it was kind of amazing cause Romney was not only saying things that are not true, he was saying things that his own campaign had previously said weren’t true," he said.

The Nobel Prize-winning economist alleged that Romney displayed "contempt" for the press and assumed that "the news media will not cover me on this. As long as I say it forcefully, they'll say I won."

"Oh, so you’re saying the press is against Obama now?” panelist Mary Matalin asked in disbelief.

“The press just doesn’t know how to handle flat-out untruths," he said.

Other members of the roundtable objected. James Carville said that Obama could have confronted Romney "on any number of issues" during the debate, while Peggy Noonan insisted that it was "the president's job" to correct Romney's inaccuracies. Jonathan Karl claimed that Obama was also "loose with the facts."

"No, those were minor compared with Romney’s," Krugman said, when Karl gave specific examples.

to see the accompanying video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/07/paul-krugman-media-debate-reaction_n_1946360.html

Replies

• batmansgirl
    October 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    A lie is a lie. Obama and Romney have both been inaccurate. Don't let your obvious support of Obama blind you to that fact.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting batmansgirl:

I like to get my information from WWW.factcheck.org.

But Obama supporters probably won't like it because he was inaccurate as well.

I like to use Politifact.com myself.

Does factcheck.org keep a tally?

Obama's statements by ruling

Click on the ruling to see all of Obama's statements for that ruling.

Romney's statements by ruling

Click on the ruling to see all of Romney's statements for that ruling.

That's Obama at 71%True statements.
    Romney at 57% True Statements.

Obama at a 2% Pants on Fire rating.
    Romney at a 9% Pants on Fire rating.

Obama at 28% False Statements
    Romney at 43% False Statements

And to point out the statistics of these numbers.

Total Fact Checks:
    For Obama 431. Out of those only 7 were out right lies.
    For Mitt Romney only 183. Out of those he already has 16 out right lies.

Sure you can say President Obama has had longer to have told the truth. But with Mitt's Romney tendency to lie left and right-I imagine if we gave him 4 more years of fact checking on his part the number of his lies would just grow as the pressure builds.

• tweety101149
    October 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Problem. Neither party knows how to play nice with the other. (though dems are usually more than likely to show consideration to republicans),   Known fact, nothing can get done when the majority is opposition and blocks a good bills just because they can, because of sour grapes in the hopes to prove the president is a do nothing loser. Fact 1, Affordable healthcare still passed (modeled after Romneycare in Mass.), despite opposition, Fact 2 Obama still got Bin-Laden ..something Bush could not do.  Now other than that more repubs. and dems. don't exactly tell the public the truth.   They don't exactly lie, but they leave out major details..... I would trust either as far as I could toss a 2 ton slab of brick.   And both parties leave the bulk of Americans hangin in the middle, They destort and malign the other other guy.  At this rate I would rather vote Goofy or Daffy Duck into office.l  They certainly could not do worse. 

• LoriKeet
    October 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I would provide you with one of my snarky retorts, but since you posted this BEFORE Biden's obnoxious FAILURE at last night's debate, so I wouldn't want to kick you when you're down!! LMAO!!

Quoting lga1965:

He tried......but......

Quoting LoriKeet:

...of the 47% who don't pay income tax, low income families and children make up 30% of the pie!  That is FAR too many!

Perhaps had Obama actually focused on the ECONOMY and stimuluating job growth, not lining the pockets of, adn appointing those who got him elected, the economy WOULD have corrected itself, and Obama would be sitting pretty!  But noooooooooooo....his ego got the best of him and it is 54% of Americans who will pay the hefty price tag.

Courtesy of NPR

Who Does and Doesn't Pay Income Tax?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LoriKeet:

The fact that people will vote again for Obama shows they haven't learned a damn thing in the last four years or they are among the 47% who don't pay income tax!

I love when people believe their opinions of others are 'fact'.

• brookiecookie87
    October 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Talk about being Blind. I don't know if you read the Post that you just quoted. But I admited that Obama has been inaccurate before.

But all you have to do is look at the numbers. Whether you are looking at the 767 referenced lies Mitt Romney has made or the %/number based numbers of Fact Checking sites Mitt Romney has lies a LOT more than Obama.

They have been following President Obama for nearly 4 years now. They have been following Mitt Romney for almost a year and Mitt Romney has already got twice the amount of out right lies. And a larger portion percent wise of False or Mostly False.

Quoting batmansgirl:

A lie is a lie. Obama and Romney have both been inaccurate. Don't let your obvious support of Obama blind you to that fact.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting batmansgirl:

I like to get my information from WWW.factcheck.org.

But Obama supporters probably won't like it because he was inaccurate as well.

I like to use Politifact.com myself.

Does factcheck.org keep a tally?

Obama's statements by ruling

Click on the ruling to see all of Obama's statements for that ruling.

Romney's statements by ruling

Click on the ruling to see all of Romney's statements for that ruling.

That's Obama at 71%True statements.
    Romney at 57% True Statements.

Obama at a 2% Pants on Fire rating.
    Romney at a 9% Pants on Fire rating.

Obama at 28% False Statements
    Romney at 43% False Statements

And to point out the statistics of these numbers.

Total Fact Checks:
    For Obama 431. Out of those only 7 were out right lies.
    For Mitt Romney only 183. Out of those he already has 16 out right lies.

Sure you can say President Obama has had longer to have told the truth. But with Mitt's Romney tendency to lie left and right-I imagine if we gave him 4 more years of fact checking on his part the number of his lies would just grow as the pressure builds.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN