JoshRachelsMAMA
What's Next on the School Force Food Agenda? School District Bans Ice Cream
JRM
October 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

School District Bans PTA Ice Cream Sales

School District Bans PTA Ice Cream Sales

Oct 5, 2012

By Todd Starnes

A New Jersey school district has ordered the PTA to stop selling ice cream to students on campus because the longtime fundraising violates state and federal law.

For years the PTA in Parsippany, New Jersey sold ice cream once a week on campuses across the district. The money was used to fund cultural arts programs and field trips for the students.

But earlier this week, the district superintendent sent a letter to the group informing the parents that those tiny cups of ice cream could no longer be sold on campus.

“We don’t know the full extent of the issue, but the PTA cannot sell ice cream during our lunch time hour,” PTA president Liz Kadian told Fox News. “It’s disturbing to many parents.”

Supt. LeRoy Seitz told Fox News that the district has no choice in the matter.

“While we fully understand that our students enjoyed the PTA ice cream fundraisers in the past and that the ice cream sale fundraiser was very successful for our PTAs, we cannot approve activities, including PTA ice cream sales that are in violation of state regulations,” he said in a statement.

The law forbids any food sale fundraising efforts during the “hours when our school nutritional program is in operation.”

“It is unfortunate that we cannot permit the PTA ice cream sales during the hours that lunch is being served and again, we have asked our principales to work with his or her PTA to find other opportunities to fundraise that are in compliance with state regulations,” he said.

“I think it’s ridiculous and a majority of the parents feel the same way,” Kadian told Fox News. “It’s a once-a-week treat.”

Dozens of parents are voicing their extreme displeasure about the new ice cream ban on the Parsippany Patch website.

“I can only imagine what will be next,” one parent wrote. “Will the school board start checking lunch boxes making sure that parents did not pack too many Twinkies or yodels?”

“Whether it is federal, state or local government-mandated, another piece of childhood innocence is being taken away,” another parent wrote. “How sad that an elementary school child can’t look forward to buying something as simple as an ice cream bar once a week.”

Last week more than 1,000 students at Parsippany Hills High School staged a strike against the cafeteria to protest federal guidelines governing portion size. As a result, a number of parents are now packing lunches for their children.

Kadian said she understands the USDA’s concerns over healthy lunches – but she noted that the ice cream they sold met state guidelines. The ice cream cups contained about four bites of – and the ice pops were sugar-free.

Teachers also used the weekly ice cream sale as an incentive – offering students the chance to earn certificates for a free treat.

But Kadian said the bigger issue is fundraising. Without the ice cream sales, many student activities could be jeopardized.

She said the PTA will be meeting soon to discuss their options.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-district-bans-ice-cream.html

Replies

• LindaClement
    October 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I know why they do it: whatever they're charging for cookies (etc.) is a vastly overinflated price compared to the costs.

Someone needs to hold them accountable: why are those foods even available?!?

Quoting Lurion:

Not only serving...I noticed my 6 y/o daughter's account balance going down too quickly and dug into why. Turns out they were "selling" her an extra 2 cookies a day with her lunch--without my knowledge. I called and put a block on extras, but I've seen this with all my kids' schools--they can just charge extra fries, chips, desserts unless we specifically call and block it!

Quoting LindaClement:

Not sure why schools were ever serving dessert in the first place...

• Sisteract
    October 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

At home? Nope. I used to like Gelato, but eliminated this as well.

If served at special occasion/holiday or at someone's home, perhaps a bite.

It's just a different way of life-

Quoting Paperfishies:

So you never enjoy a piece of homemade cake or pie?

Quoting Sisteract:

I enjoy healthy, whole foods and I love to cook.

I do not use as a reward and am not an emotional eater.

Quoting Paperfishies:

So you don't eat food you thoroughly enjoy? Food is just fuel to you and nothing else?

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree.

The sooner people learn that food is for fuel and not a reward, event, punishment, activity and highlight of the day, the better.

KIDS should be encouraged to develop a healthy relationship with food from the get go.

MOST Americans are deficient in this area.

It affects health and hc costs-

I would think that fiscal conservies would get it- it's $$$$$.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I really hope this is a private schoo that receives no public funding for meals! That is disgusting!

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Our ASB just sold boxes of krispy Kremes at lunch last week.  The kids loved it.  Next week the sophmores are selling candy.  All of it is for fundtraising.

And in the elementary the kids can choose ice cream as a side item.

I love my school!

• turtle68
    October 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I wish I had your strength when it came to food.  Cheesecake is waaaay too beautiful to ever give up :-)

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

So you don't eat food you thoroughly enjoy? Food is just fuel to you and nothing else?

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree.

The sooner people learn that food is for fuel and not a reward, event, punishment, activity and highlight of the day, the better.

KIDS should be encouraged to develop a healthy relationship with food from the get go.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I really hope this is a private schoo that receives no public funding for meals! That is disgusting!

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Our ASB just sold boxes of krispy Kremes at lunch last week.  The kids loved it.  Next week the sophmores are selling candy.  All of it is for fundtraising.

I love my school!

• Paperfishies
    October 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    Your way of life, which if it works for you I think that's great. However that isn't how everyone wants to live.

I agree to some extent that we have taken pleasure eating to an extreme that has had horrid consequences, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying food and looking forward to food, we just need to practice and stress moderation.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I love my school!

• Sisteract
    October 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Unfortunately many chemicals, additives and the food products themselves elicit responses from the body- a pleasurable feeling if you will, and some can become addicting...many are truly unable to moderate their intake of these substances as they crave those pleasurable sensations-

Quoting Paperfishies:

Your way of life, which if it works for you I think that's great. However that isn't how everyone wants to live.

I agree to some extent that we have taken pleasure eating to an extreme that has had horrid consequences, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying food and looking forward to food, we just need to practice and stress moderation.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I love my school!

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    October 8, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Your comments are disgusting.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Yeah, and your point? Laura, take a Valium and chill.. Either that or get laid. You're way too uptight.

Quoting LauraKW:

You cared enough to quote me and respond. Was it you in some heated debate recently who said "Fuck his dead mother" about someone you didn't like (Al Sharpton maybe?) right after his mother passed? Damn, can't remember the details.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Bleh. And you don't get out much. That's a line from a tv show.... President says it to his wife when she tries to force him on national tv to go to war..

"Scandal - White Hats Off"..

And, for some reason - you seem to think that I care what you think - I don't care if you think it's sexist or not. Get over yourself.

Quoting LauraKW:

That is the most sexist remark I have ever seen you make.  Disgusting.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:
    Quoting GotSomeKids:

clapping

How about properly funding a lunch program so CAN give them correct portions of good food and properly fund education so we don't have to have ice cream fundraisers.

Oh wait, that is asking way too much.

Quoting tooptimistic:

You know if the schools/ first lady really cared about school lunches, processed crap food would be off menu, and the lunch ladies would actually be making real food for lunch.

Not smaller portions of crappy processed food, but real homecooked food.  Its not rocket science, its common sense. 

Michelle Obama is barking up the wrong tree.

Michele is ornamental, not functional. She needs to play her position.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    October 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM

This is good. Some people live to eat. Others, healthy people, eat to live. We rarely have dessert either--just special occasions like Birthdays and holiday celebrations.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I love my school!

• JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    October 8, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    Don't like 'em? Stay out of my posts.
    Quoting lga1965:

Your comments are disgusting.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Yeah, and your point? Laura, take a Valium and chill.. Either that or get laid. You're way too uptight.

Quoting LauraKW:

You cared enough to quote me and respond. Was it you in some heated debate recently who said "Fuck his dead mother" about someone you didn't like (Al Sharpton maybe?) right after his mother passed? Damn, can't remember the details.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Bleh. And you don't get out much. That's a line from a tv show.... President says it to his wife when she tries to force him on national tv to go to war..

"Scandal - White Hats Off"..

And, for some reason - you seem to think that I care what you think - I don't care if you think it's sexist or not. Get over yourself.

Quoting LauraKW:

That is the most sexist remark I have ever seen you make.  Disgusting.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

clapping

How about properly funding a lunch program so CAN give them correct portions of good food and properly fund education so we don't have to have ice cream fundraisers.

Oh wait, that is asking way too much.

Quoting tooptimistic:

You know if the schools/ first lady really cared about school lunches, processed crap food would be off menu, and the lunch ladies would actually be making real food for lunch.

Not smaller portions of crappy processed food, but real homecooked food.  Its not rocket science, its common sense. 

Michelle Obama is barking up the wrong tree.

Michele is ornamental, not functional. She needs to play her position.

• NutHouseMomma
    October 8, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    So then you agree that food stamp recipients should be monitored on their purchases as well? I would hope so!

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I love my school!

• NutHouseMomma
    October 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    I guess I don't really understand the double standard here...we should be allowed to do whatever we want with our bodies, because its our body and our choice right...but what's the difference with this scenario? Or is this all about the rising health care costs? We should be able to dictate what goes in an individuals mouth but not in their vagina....now I get it!