Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
radioheid
"They Are A Bunch Of Hillbillies That Drive Pick-Up Trucks"
October 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I overheard someone saying this in reference to Republicans at a soccer game today. So, I'm curious... How many of you Republicans out there drive or have a husband who drives a pick-up truck? Let's see how accurate this stereotype is.

I am a registered Republican, and this is my daily driver:

LOL

As you all well know, I consider myself more of a Libertarian than a Republican, but when a Libertarian isn't available on the ballot, I vote Republican probably 80% of the time, with the other 20% going to conservative Democrats and Indies.

This is for fun, ladies. I'm just curious as to how accurate this stereotype is.

Replies

• teri4lance
    October 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    Oh and our toyota pick up has a holger dansk bumper sticker on it.. but we are also nra members lol
  • BuckeyezRule
    October 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    Can't figure out how to only quote the most recent response. Lol I'm from Akron. Lol

Quoting radioheid:

I live in NE Ohio. Hella hills, hella snow. lol

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

It's a stereotype that tends to have basis in fact. Rural areas tend to vote Republican and in rural areas, you live in BFE so you need the larger vehicles (ex. trucks, suvs) to make it through the snow (up north) or whatever is down south. More populated areas (such as big cities) tend to vote Democratic because of the issues that they deal with like large scale poverty. Oh and to answer your question: We are moderate Dems and my husband is going to get a truck the next time we get a new vehicle.

Quoting radioheid:

My twin sister is also a registered Repub. She also drives an SUV (Chevy Blazer). 

I didn't necessarily believe the stereotype, but I have heard similar comments before, so I was curious. My older sister, a Democrat, lived out in the sticks for a few years and bitched at length about all the rednecks with their Bush/Cheney bumper stickers on the back of their pick-up trucks. lol

Quoting Kylie819:

We are Republicans...we have an SUV and a minivan :)

• Bookwormy
    October 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    I'm registered, but in TX you don't pick a party unless you vote in a primary, which I haven't recently. I'm usually left of the Dems. I've voted for most parties except Green I think. Not sure about Republican. I drive a Honda Fit w/no political stickers. School & FAAN clings. Austin house concert & MADD magnets. Very liberal seeming car to me. Gets great mileage.

My illegal wife drives a Mazda CX7 but I don't think she likes it. Too many blind spots for her. I'm not sure if it seems liberal, consevative, soccer mom, or what. No stickers, clings, magnets, etc.
  • Bookwormy
    October 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    If I drove by, I'd assume you were raging liberals like us!

Quoting radioheid:

Cute cars.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Two registered Republicans, frequent third party voters.

• Sisteract
    October 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

No trucks here.

3 Suvs and 1 sedan

• grandmab125
    October 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

::::cueing the theme from "Deliverance":::::

I prefer a pick-up or larger vehicle and since we've had one for years (a larger vehicle of some sort), I feel incredibly vulnerable in a smaller vehicle and especially with Arizona drivers/car driving texters.

::::picking teeth with fork:::::

Thank you for posting this.  I had forgotten how amazing that was.  I also checked out the Steve Martin ones.  You provided me with some fun time spent with great music.

• OHgirlinCA
    October 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    My husband has a Silverado, but he hates politics and doesn't vote.
  • Tiana300
    October 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    I am an Independent and I have a Pontiac Montana. My dad is a Republican and drives a Dodge Ram.
  • NutHouseMomma
    October 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    I'm a registered republican and we don't own a truck...yet! Ha!
  • momof2ex1
    October 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    My husband is a registered democrat and he drives a chevy 4x4

I am a registered republican and I drive an Eco friendly car.

And yes... Getting our families together at thanksgiving is quite colorful. Lol

Oh and my husband the democrat has three hunting rifles lol

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN