grandmab125
Obama: "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."
October 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Quote  Like Reply to Post

President Obama, speaking in Virginia, said, "We don't believe anybody is entitled to success in this country."

"This country doesn't just succeed when just a few are doing well at the top. It succeeds when the middle class gets bigger. Our economy doesn't grow from the top down -- it grows from the middle out. We don't believe that anybody is entitled to success in this country," said Obama. "But we do believe in opportunity. We believe in a country where hard work pays off and responsibility is rewarded, and everybody is getting a fair shot and everybody is doing their fair share and everybody is playing by the same rules."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-we-dont-believe-anybody-entitled-success-country_653749.html

Replies

• motherslove82
    October 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM
    I don't know where I would have said "no one's entitled to anything", so I think you either have me confused with someone else, or you are just making stuff up, or you are assuming you know what I believe.

As for the rest of it, you see it the way you want to. There are different ways to look at it.

As for your example, success is not the same as money, or a business. They felt entitled to wealth they had not earned, but success is not something someone else can give you and it means something different to everyone. That is why this is such an odd statement for him to make. You can't really have success unless you've earned it. No one can hand you success. It just doesn't make sense.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Nice job at deflection in your first paragraph. To answer your question, I haven't heard anyone say that. However, I have seen the attitude portrayed in people that I don't know. There are people that think they deserve any and everything no matter what.

For example, I was watching a 48 Hours episode where a man was killed because he had a successful business. His child, who had contributed nothing to the business, wanted the father to hand the business over to them when their father retired. Well, daddy said no. They erroneously thought that his death would mean that they'd get the business. Anyhow, they thought that they were entitled to success even though they hasn't earned it.

I've seen you post that no one is entitled to anything. They were your words, not mine.

All Obama is saying is that you have to work if you want to be successful. The word "entitled" means that one wants something regardless of if they deserve it or not.

Quoting motherslove82:

Let me ask you this. Who have you heard say "give me success" " I demand success"? People may think they are entitled to school, food, water, health care...but I have never heard any one say they are entitled to success. So what would be his motive for saying this?

I also have zero problem with people receiving government assistance when they need it, so I have no idea how I parade around here saying no one is entitled to anything.

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

That must mean that you don't know what you're talking about either. I've seen you parade around CM saying that no one is entitled to anything. But, when Obama says it, it's all bad. He's wrong and he doesn't know what he's talking about. In your eyes, Obama is wrong even when he's right.

I smell hypocrisy.

Quoting motherslove82:

Proof that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • afwifey4510
    October 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM
    Researching statistics for COLLEGE classes going back to Bush Sr. all the way to Bush Jr.(he was in office at the time).

It's a well known fact that most people on PA are poorly educated, hence why they are on it to begin with (not including ssi or disability).

Not only that the state's with the highest PA rates are mainly red states.
  • grandmab125
    October 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting grandmab125:

You have brains? Not just one but multiple ones you don't use, cool. Oh and please, do not forget you have shown your gutter side more than once, let's not act like the lizard and pretend your innocent (she learned quick on that one).

Once again, you're just a riot.  Crawl back into that hole you came out of....oh wait, it was a gutter.

• grandmab125
    October 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Quoting Stephanie329:

What the fuck? The only ones believing that trickle down economics work - are conservatives.

This is really odd. Romney says something that a liberal would say -you agree. Obama says something a conservative would say - you disagree. It's just so obviously ironic that you have to be disingenuous.
    Quoting grandmab125:

He is changing his wording to "fair shot" from "fair share", because he finally figured out that tactic was costing him support.  And as Gov. Romney so eloquently said in the debate, "Gov't trickle down economics doesn't work."  And for those of you who weren't paying attention, when the mod asked Obama what he thought of gov't trickle down economics, Obama mumbled something, asked the mod to change the topic, and went off on the Obamacare rant.

If you don't have the successful employers creating jobs, the middle class have no jobs.  The success of one can affect the success of the one under him.

Life isn't fair, suck it up.  It's about time someone told Obama that.   

Trickle down economics worked when Reagan became president.

• grandmab125
    October 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Quoting afwifey4510:

Researching statistics for COLLEGE classes going back to Bush Sr. all the way to Bush Jr.(he was in office at the time).

It's a well known fact that most people on PA are poorly educated, hence why they are on it to begin with (not including ssi or disability).

What is this in reply to?

• Iconoclast
    October 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM
    Quoting grandmab125:

Those brains just not working tonight, are they? Poor grandma all upset and butt hurt without a comeback to hang onto.
  • grandmab125
    October 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Quoting motherslove82:

I don't know where I would have said "no one's entitled to anything", so I think you either have me confused with someone else, or you are just making stuff up, or you are assuming you know what I believe.

As for the rest of it, you see it the way you want to. There are different ways to look at it.

As for your example, success is not the same as money, or a business. They felt entitled to wealth they had not earned, but success is not something someone else can give you and it means something different to everyone. That is why this is such an odd statement for him to make. You can't really have success unless you've earned it. No one can hand you success. It just doesn't make sense.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Nice job at deflection in your first paragraph. To answer your question, I haven't heard anyone say that. However, I have seen the attitude portrayed in people that I don't know. There are people that think they deserve any and everything no matter what.

For example, I was watching a 48 Hours episode where a man was killed because he had a successful business. His child, who had contributed nothing to the business, wanted the father to hand the business over to them when their father retired. Well, daddy said no. They erroneously thought that his death would mean that they'd get the business. Anyhow, they thought that they were entitled to success even though they hasn't earned it.

I've seen you post that no one is entitled to anything. They were your words, not mine.

All Obama is saying is that you have to work if you want to be successful. The word "entitled" means that one wants something regardless of if they deserve it or not.

Quoting motherslove82:

Let me ask you this. Who have you heard say "give me success" " I demand success"? People may think they are entitled to school, food, water, health care...but I have never heard any one say they are entitled to success. So what would be his motive for saying this?

I also have zero problem with people receiving government assistance when they need it, so I have no idea how I parade around here saying no one is entitled to anything.

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

That must mean that you don't know what you're talking about either. I've seen you parade around CM saying that no one is entitled to anything. But, when Obama says it, it's all bad. He's wrong and he doesn't know what he's talking about. In your eyes, Obama is wrong even when he's right.

I smell hypocrisy.

Quoting motherslove82:

Proof that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Quit now while you still have your sanity.  Adellesmom will keep coming back at you all night and all day tomorrow too.  That's her usual MO.  You can't reason with her.

• grandmab125
    October 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting grandmab125:

Those brains just not working tonight, are they? Poor grandma all upset and butt hurt without a comeback to hang onto.

Shove it.  And have a lousy night.

• afwifey4510
    October 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM
    Alzheimer's hitting ya already? To your how do I know pa users mainly don't vote comment.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting afwifey4510:

What is this in reply to?

• Goodwoman614
    October 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM
    Where are the grown ups - this sandbox's getting fluffy tonight, lol.