annabl1970
Much-Anticipated Jobs Report Is Out (Who will be smiling (big) today)
October 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Unemployment Rate Drops To 7.8 Percent, Nearly 4-Year Low

unemployment stats jobs report

By Lucia Mutikani

WASHINGTON, Oct 5 (Reuters) - The U.S. unemployment rate dropped to a near four-year low of 7.8 percent in September, a potential boost to President Barack Obama's re-election bid.

The Labor Department said on Friday the unemployment rate, a key focus in the race for the White House, dropped by 0.3 percentage point to its lowest point since January 2009.

A survey of households from which the jobless rate is derived showed 873,000 job gains last month, the most since June 1983. The drop in unemployment came even as Americans come back into the labor force to resume the hunt for work. The workforce had shrank in the prior two months.

The household survey is volatile. A survey of business establishments showed employers added 114,000 jobs to their payrolls last month, a touch above economists' expectations for 113,000 jobs. Employment for July and August was revised to show 86,000 more jobs created than previous reported.

It was the second last report before the Nov. 6 election that pits Obama against Republican Mitt Romney.

A Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Thursday after Wednesday's first presidential debate showed Romney gained ground and is now viewed positively by 51 percent of voters. Obama's favorability rating remained unchanged at 56 percent.

Economists blame the so-called fiscal cliff for the slowdown in business hiring, which has left millions of Americans working either part-time or unemployed and too discouraged to look for jobs.

The Congressional Budget Office has warned that a failure by Congress to avoid the automatic tax hikes and government spending cuts that will suck about $600 billion out of the economy next year would knock the economy back into recession.

"Businesses are not hiring people, they want to wait and see how the election evolves and how the political landscape shapes up," said Sung Won Sohn, an economics professor at California State University Channel Islands in Camarillo, California.

Replies

• survivorinohio
    October 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Attacks on my gammar, how nice.

Quoting asfriend:

Maybe you could teach her the see spot run grammar, I loved it!

Quoting lga1965:

I agree. I have learned alot. And I have been inspired to search for more information on many different subjects. It is never too late to learn and read and study and open one's mind to new things. But it looks like the cake person has closed up shop and decided to not let any more information enter her brain. Too bad.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Ok you actually made me laugh out loud.

I recieved a lot of education at Akron U but I have still learned a lot from the ladies here, we have some very smart  and highly educated women in our midst.

You continue to show a closed mind.

No one wishes to have beliefs shoved down their throat I am sure.

Quoting Cakes24:

I'm so sorry that you chose to come here to learn....

When I said I don't want to be "educated" by the liberals in here, I meant that I don't want to have their beliefs shoved down my throat and I don't want them to try and change my mind with bs stats.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I am here primarily to learn and i believe wholeheartedly that even people who i fervently disagree with have something I can learn from them.  To declare you refuse to be educated implies that you do indeed have a closed mind.

Quoting Cakes24:

Why doesn't it surprise me that because I don't agree with you all that I'm "close-minded"?

Quoting survivorinohio:

Arent you just sunshine and flowers .

I just want to point our that beyond political affiliation there is humanity of which we are all a part which demands that we try to work together.  Closed minds are not the solution.

First, I'd like to point out your signature. It just shows so much about your character.

Second, that's not the real unemployment rate and anyone and everyone who thinks it is is just plain ignorant. I think a couple other repliers are absolutely right. If there was a change in the rate, it's only due to seasonal jobs and people who have stopped looking for work.

Third, I can't believe the lefty liberal pool I just jumped into. Wow...you people will say anything to defend our sorry excuse for a President.

Fourth, let it be known that I will not accept any attempt from you (liberals) to try to "educate" me with your crap statistics.

Quoting trippyhippy:

What's f@cked up is the conservatives actually want bad job numbers. How selfish and unamerican.

• asfriend
    October 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    I didn't mention intelligence at all.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting asfriend:

No chance!

Quoting Cakes24:

Wow, what a bunch of nit-pickers...so lame. Get REAL facts and post them.

Yet you are a constant within the group.

Please, feel free to find your common sense, your facts and such else where.

People who complain about the lack of those in this group, while remaining a member, and active themselves, seems rather off some how.  

Is it just for the entertainment value?  I would think those who feel they are amongst lower intelligence while being in this group would realize their trolling could be seen as a lack of their own worth and intelligence.

• Sisteract
    October 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Beliefs shoved down my throat- God I hate that line.

Here's a clue- log off and find another source of entertainment.

• asfriend
    October 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Actually that was not about you at all, sorry about that.

That is sort of an inside joke with Iga.

No offense to you in any way.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting lga1965:

I agree. I have learned alot. And I have been inspired to search for more information on many different subjects. It is never too late to learn and read and study and open one's mind to new things. But it looks like the cake person has closed up shop and decided to not let any more information enter her brain. Too bad.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I recieved a lot of education at Akron U but I have still learned a lot from the ladies here, we have some very smart  and highly educated women in our midst.

Quoting Cakes24:

When I said I don't want to be "educated" by the liberals in here, I meant that I don't want to have their beliefs shoved down my throat and I don't want them to try and change my mind with bs stats.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I am here primarily to learn and i believe wholeheartedly that even people who i fervently disagree with have something I can learn from them.  To declare you refuse to be educated implies that you do indeed have a closed mind.

Quoting Cakes24:

Why doesn't it surprise me that because I don't agree with you all that I'm "close-minded"?

Quoting survivorinohio:

I just want to point our that beyond political affiliation there is humanity of which we are all a part which demands that we try to work together.  Closed minds are not the solution.

First, I'd like to point out your signature. It just shows so much about your character.

Second, that's not the real unemployment rate and anyone and everyone who thinks it is is just plain ignorant. I think a couple other repliers are absolutely right. If there was a change in the rate, it's only due to seasonal jobs and people who have stopped looking for work.

Third, I can't believe the lefty liberal pool I just jumped into. Wow...you people will say anything to defend our sorry excuse for a President.

Fourth, let it be known that I will not accept any attempt from you (liberals) to try to "educate" me with your crap statistics.

Quoting trippyhippy:

What's f@cked up is the conservatives actually want bad job numbers. How selfish and unamerican.

• FromAtoZ
    October 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Quoting asfriend:

I didn't mention intelligence at all.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting asfriend:

No chance!

Quoting Cakes24:

Wow, what a bunch of nit-pickers...so lame. Get REAL facts and post them.

Yet you are a constant within the group.

Please, feel free to find your common sense, your facts and such else where.

People who complain about the lack of those in this group, while remaining a member, and active themselves, seems rather off some how.  

Is it just for the entertainment value?  I would think those who feel they are amongst lower intelligence while being in this group would realize their trolling could be seen as a lack of their own worth and intelligence.

You are good at deflection, I most certainly need to hand  you that one.

• FromAtoZ
    October 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

Beliefs shoved down my throat- God I hate that line.

Here's a clue- log off and find another source of entertainment.

I just now read that comment.

If some one feels being part of this group, participating, or even reading, is having beliefs shoved down their throat................they need to take a step back and find their way back to reality.

• survivorinohio
    October 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I apologize then.  My responses werent in perfect form today but at least i know that right? :)

Quoting asfriend:

Actually that was not about you at all, sorry about that.

That is sort of an inside joke with Iga.

No offense to you in any way.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Cakes24:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Cakes24:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting trippyhippy:

• 12hellokitty
    October 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM

This....

• NWP
    by NWP
    October 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM

This is a debate group. Most of us come here to share ideas and hear the thoughts of others, even those whose views are not like our own. Sometimes specifically to hear the views of others not like our own. I have learned a LOT from ladies across the fence and value their voices even when they are not the same as mine, possibly more because they are not the same as mine (Kailu and Poodles are you out there? Shouting out to you mamas..and many other of the conservative momma I have connected with, don't think I have forgotten:)

If you come into this group with such a closed mind and only want to bash folks who do not think like you, you will not be appreciated...by any of the intelligent ladies on this board from any side of the issue.

The only ones you will attract are the trolls...and you will also be treated like one from the rest of us.

Quoting Cakes24:

Oh OUCH! Did I offend you in some way? No need to get all butt hurt over it or anything. I may be new to this group, but I'm not new to the moronic comments and arguments that come out of the seriously uneducated liberals. I can clearly see that there doesn't need to be any more nut cases in this group so why don't you all go fudge some more numbers to publish and lie to the people even more?

Quoting trippyhippy:

First- screw you

Second- you sure are acting like a serious bitch for someone who is new to a group.

Third- F@ck off

Fourth- go climb back uder your rock.  We don't need more nut cases in this group.

Quoting Cakes24:

Quoting trippyhippy:

• stefvan
    by stefvan
    October 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

That doesn't mean more people are working.  It means less people are unemployment - most aren't eligible any longer.