Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
Overweight News Anchor Takes On Fat Shamer ((UPDATE)) Apology from Mr. Krause on page 26
October 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Overweight News Anchor Takes Fat-Shaming Bully to Task on Air

When Jennifer Livingston, the morning news anchor for WKBT-TV in La Crosse, Wisconsin, got the email last week, she was stunned.

"Now those of us in the media get a healthy dose of critiques from our viewers throughout the year, and we realize that it comes with having a job in the public eye," she said. "But this email was more than that."

Related: Sikh Woman Balpreet Kaur turns Cyber-Bullying Incident into Inspiration

It was from a local man who took issue with the fact that Livingston is overweight, trying to make her feel ashamed about how she looked. Her husband, the station's evening news anchor, Mike Thompson, was so upset by the email that he posted it on his official WKTB Facebook page.

"I've posted about negative emails the station has received in the past, but this one delivered specifically to my wife, morning anchor Jennifer Livingston, has just infuriated me," Thompson wrote. "Seriously, the fact that there are people out there like this (and I understand this person is a lawyer in town) makes me sick to my stomach."

The public fascination with celebrities' weight and body image is nothing new. Just last week, after speculation about a big weight gain, Lady Gaga admitted that she's "struggled with weight and eating issues my whole life" and launched a "Body Revolution" to encourage fans to embrace their flaws. Earlier this year, supermodel Kate Upton defended her curves after a "thinspiration" blogger called her "lardy" and "a squishy brick."

But for Livingston, the email made a public issue very personal. Instead of criticism, her husband's Facebook post garnered thousands of "likes" and hundreds of comments -- the vast majority of them positive.

"My compliments to Jennifer for taking the opportunity to address this issue on the air," wrote Jay Johnson on one WKBT-TV Facebook page. "That took a lot of guts. And my hat's off to WKBT as well, for allowing her to use air time for this purpose. Obviously your station has good people with integrity, who care for their community."

"What an AMAZING woman you are Jennifer!" viewer Felicia Nelson Koth chimed in. "I think you are excellent role model for everyone especially your girls."

News anchor Jennifer Livingston addresses her bully on air. (Photo: Screengrab from WKBT-TV)Livingston says that she was stunned by the outpouring of support. The Facebook discussions inspired her to address the issue on Tuesday morning, when she took a took a deep breath and, her voice trembling just a little, read the email out loud. On air.

"Hi, Jennifer," she read. "It's unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical conniption hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle."

She didn't identify the writer of the email, saying only that she received it on Friday from a La Crosse Man, and that the subject was "Community Responsibility."

"Yes, the truth is, I am overweight," Livingston responded as the cameras rolled. "You could call me fat and, yes, even obese on a doctor's chart. But to the person who wrote me that letter, do you think I don't know that?"

"You don't know me. You are not a friend of mine. You are not a part of my family, and you have admitted that you don't watch this show," she continued. "So you know nothing about me, but what you see on the outside. And I am much more than a number on a scale."

October is National Anti-Bullying month, she pointed out to her viewers. "It is a major issue in the lives of young people today, and as the mother of three young girls, it scares me to death," she said. While the cruel words "mean nothing to me," what angers her is the fact that kids are bullied, in person and via email and social media, every day.

"This behavior is learned. It is passed down from people like the man who wrote me that email," she pointed out. "If you are at home and you are talking about the 'Fat News Lady,' guess what? Your children are probably going to go to school and call someone fat."

"We need to teach our kind to be kind, not critical, and we need to do that by example," she added, thanking viewers and Facebook fans for taking a stand against a bully. "We are better than that email. We are better than the bullies which try to take us down."

She wrapped up her editorial with a word to kids who find themselves facing bullies of their own.

"To all of the children out there who feel lost, who are struggling with your weight, with the color your skin, your sexual preference, your disability, even the acne on your face. Listen to me right now: Do not let your self-worth be defined by bullies," she said. "Learn from my experience that the cruel words of one are nothing compared to the shouts of many."

As for her not being a responsible or suitable role model, her viewers beg to differ.

"I'm a 20-year-old college student, and a young lady. I believe that Jen is a great role model and definitely someone who makes getting ready for my 8 a.m. class at WSU a little better, especially on a Monday!" Mianna Nichole Sobotta wrote on Thompson's Facebook page. "Shame on whomever wrote that email, because clearly they don't understand what a positive role model is. In a society where girls focus on the Size 0 models, and struggle with self confidence, we need more women to show young girls that you need self confidence and to love yourself for who you are!"

update 10/04/12

'Bully' Viewer Stands by Critical Email to Overweight TV Anchor

video on page

He wrote an email so critical of his local TV anchorwoman's weight that it caused her to deliver an on-air response that made national headlines.

Yet, Kenneth Krause, the Wisconsin man behind the infamous email to Jennifer Livingston, a morning anchor with WKBT-TV in La Crosse, Wis., is not backing down, even as his public profile continues to grow.

A photo of Krause's posing behind a mountain bike in a tank top, helmet and bulging biceps is making the rounds after appearing on the Facebook page of Brian Simpson, a local radio host and friend of Livingston's who invited Krause to appear on his show.

READ MORE: Overweight TV Anchor Responds to Viewer 'Bully'

"Once again, I'd like to invite Kenneth to come on our show, The Morning Sickness on 95.7 The Rock, and talk about his hatred for people who are a bit overweight. I sure hope his wife, Michele, doesn't pack on a few pounds … who knows what he'd do to her," Simpson wrote on his page.

Krause, who, according to local media, is a personal injury attorney, has reportedly declined that request. Attempts to reach him today by ABC News were not successful.

He did, however, offer Livingston, a mother of three who acknowledged being overweight - even obese - in her four-minute, on-air editorial address Tuesday morning in which she also called Krause a "bully," help in losing weight.

" … I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year," reads the statement submitted by Krause to WKBT after Livingston's editorial aired. "To that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept."

READ MORE: Livingston's Famous Brother Stands by Her Side

Krause's email to Livingston - in which he questioned her example as a role model for young girls because of her weight and asked her to "reconsider" her responsibility as a "local public personality" - went viral after her husband and fellow WKBT anchor, Mike Thompson, posted it to his Facebook page. Thompson's Facebook page and the story posted by WKTB on its website have each received thousands of comments. Videos of the on-air editorial posted to YouTube have been viewed million of times.

They appeared on "Good Morning America" earlier this week, questioning Krause's own character for criticizing Livingston without knowing the facts.

"He doesn't know that she has a condition, a thyroid condition, that makes it harder for her to lose weight. He doesn't know any of that," Thompson said. "He just decided to attack her for no reason."

Livingston, a tri-athlete and a runner, says she would like to lose weight, but not because of Krause.

"I would like to get healthier for my own reasons. It doesn't really have to do with him," Livingston told "GMA" in a new interview Thursday. "It's not about him anymore.

"There are a lot of people out there who are so supportive in ways that are not negative and I will reach out to those people," she said. "I don't know what, if any, help he [Krause] could provide me."

The outpouring of support that Livingston has received since she publicly defended herself against Krause's comments has turned her story into a tale seemingly destined for Hollywood, and one of the people supporting her could help make that happen.

Livingston's brother, Ron Livingston, is an actor famous for his roles in "Office Space" and "Sex and the City," among others.

"I got a text from him first thing this morning saying, 'Way to go sissy. I'm so proud of you,'" she told "GMA."

Replies

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    October 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    Quoting kailu1835:

I get the feeling in many, many posts that you are angered when others don't agree with you.

I often get frustrated myself when the points I want to make get lost in a discussion.
  • GotSomeKids
    October 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I am 5 feet tall.  I do (according to someones scale) come in as obese anytime I am over 130lbs (and I've been more).  I don't feel that way.  I'm just saying "technically I am".  I climb mountains, run 1/2 marathons, bike 15+ miles at a time, kickbox and circuit train.  It doesn't hinder me from much save the occasional back ache, but that is more from my time in the Army.

That said.  I find being obese (actually because of medications due to Graves Disease) is even a bigger reason to teach your kids how to eat healthy.  Just because you are obese doesn't mean you don't have the ability to teach.  I often tell my children to take care of their bodies now, so their bodies will take of them when they get older.  Imagine the reason for me not teachng them how to do that was because I'm obese.

Sorry if I took what you said to the extreme.  But, it sounded as if you were saying having her on TV was "glorifying" obesity. 

:)

Quoting kailu1835:

Yeah... that's totally what I was saying.  Sheesh....

If you are obese, the only job you SHOULDN'T be doing is telling kids how to eat healthy, because obviously you aren't capable of doing it yourself.  (that is a general you... how could you possibly be obese at 130 pounds?  Are you 4 feet tall?)

In the case of this news anchor, honestly I think she should have let it go, instead of making an issue of it.  NOW people are going to be talking about her weight.  I doubt many people thought twice about it before now.  I don't get the sense that this guy thinks that weight is the only thing that defines her.  But weight does define a person to an extent, like it or not. 

Quoting GotSomeKids:

So, are you saying she shouldn't have said anything?  Are you saying she shouldn't be on air, only doing off camera work, so she wouldn't be giving the impression that obesity is okay?  Should she quit her on air work? I mean if that is the case, there would be a lot of damned people out of work.  She didn't tell people it was okay to be obese.

I work with kids EVERY single day and I am overweight, obese even (at my height I'm obese at 130lbs).  But, because I'm obese, does that mean I shouldn't work with kids because I give them the impression that I'm not healthy? Or, am I not suppose to say anything when someone ridicules me for it? I don't tell a single person it's okay to be obese.  Not even my kids.

I think what she is saying is, it isn't what defines her, which is what this man seems to think.

Quoting kailu1835:

And the letter wasn't about her value as a woman, but about her health, and the message she is sending as a role model.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I don't think she was anywhere close to justifying her weight.  Her point was a womans value shouldn't be because of her looks and it sends a bad message to our youth (both male and female in my opinion). 

Besides, there are many very, very unhealthy skinny people around too.

Quoting jessilin0113:

I don't think she ever claimed to be happy with her obesity, just that she's perfectly aware of it and there's no need to call out or shame others over it. 

Quoting kailu1835:

I can tell you that anyone who is completely happy with their obesity is not a role model for my girls. I don't want my kids modeling themselves after magazine/tv models either. Neither are healthy lifestyle choices. I realize that SOME people cannot help but be skinny and lose weight no matter what they do, but obesity is completely controllable 90% of the time, and is a lifestyle choice that is not only unhealthy, but makes you unsuitable as a role model for anyone's kids. I cannot stand TV shows and movies that glorify obesity. It sickens me that we are to the point where we tell kids "it's okay to be so overweight you can't even sit on the bus with another student (and yes, there is a kid on my son's bus in the morning that takes up most of the seat), and don't let anyone tell you different."  There is a reason kids are so overweight these days, and telling them it's okay is one of those reasons.

• kailu1835
    October 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Eh, not really angry.  I can get frustrated if my words get twisted around to mean something other than intended, but I think we can agree most of us would.  (Not that I am saying that is happening here lol)

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting kailu1835:

I get the feeling in many, many posts that you are angered when others don't agree with you.

I often get frustrated myself when the points I want to make get lost in a discussion.

• kailu1835
    October 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Hmm... have you had a caliper test done?  From your description you don't SOUND obese.  And for the record, I have always had the disclaimer that I'm not talking about those people who are overweight due to medical conditions (including taking medication for those conditons).  I have a friend whose seizure medication made her balloon.  I literally watched her pack on 20 pounds in 2 months time :(

I did not mean that this woman being on TV was glorifying obesity, but looking back I can totally tell where you would think that.  When I mentioned TV shows glorifying obesity, I was talking about TV shows and Movies that glorify obesity.  I don't consider a fat person working a news show to be glorifying anything... except maybe stupid reporting lol

Also, what I'm talking about when I say that obese people should not be employed teaching children about heating healthy, is the same line of thinking when I say that I will not go to a doctor who smokes.  Or if I do drugs, who am I to lecture my children on the dangers of drugs.  Same with drinking, or any other lifestyle choice that is extremely unhealthy.  It is a question of qualification.  That being said, again, this is about people who choose to overeat, or only eat crap, don't exercise, etc.  I watched the Voice the other day with a man who weighed over 500 pounds.  He was talking about how he used to be 900 pounds, and that by dieting and exercising, he had already lost 400 pounds.  Now THAT is an obese person I would listen to, because he is actively trying to lose weight, and succeeding in an enormous way.  The obese person I would ignore is the one lecturing me on healthy eating during class time, and then reaching for the doritos at lunch time, KWIM?

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I am 5 feet tall.  I do (according to someones scale) come in as obese anytime I am over 130lbs (and I've been more).  I don't feel that way.  I'm just saying "technically I am".  I climb mountains, run 1/2 marathons, bike 15+ miles at a time, kickbox and circuit train.  It doesn't hinder me from much save the occasional back ache, but that is more from my time in the Army.

That said.  I find being obese (actually because of medications due to Graves Disease) is even a bigger reason to teach your kids how to eat healthy.  Just because you are obese doesn't mean you don't have the ability to teach.  I often tell my children to take care of their bodies now, so their bodies will take of them when they get older.  Imagine the reason for me not teachng them how to do that was because I'm obese.

Sorry if I took what you said to the extreme.  But, it sounded as if you were saying having her on TV was "glorifying" obesity. 

Quoting kailu1835:

If you are obese, the only job you SHOULDN'T be doing is telling kids how to eat healthy, because obviously you aren't capable of doing it yourself.  (that is a general you... how could you possibly be obese at 130 pounds?  Are you 4 feet tall?)

In the case of this news anchor, honestly I think she should have let it go, instead of making an issue of it.  NOW people are going to be talking about her weight.  I doubt many people thought twice about it before now.  I don't get the sense that this guy thinks that weight is the only thing that defines her.  But weight does define a person to an extent, like it or not. 

Quoting GotSomeKids:

So, are you saying she shouldn't have said anything?  Are you saying she shouldn't be on air, only doing off camera work, so she wouldn't be giving the impression that obesity is okay?  Should she quit her on air work? I mean if that is the case, there would be a lot of damned people out of work.  She didn't tell people it was okay to be obese.

I work with kids EVERY single day and I am overweight, obese even (at my height I'm obese at 130lbs).  But, because I'm obese, does that mean I shouldn't work with kids because I give them the impression that I'm not healthy? Or, am I not suppose to say anything when someone ridicules me for it? I don't tell a single person it's okay to be obese.  Not even my kids.

I think what she is saying is, it isn't what defines her, which is what this man seems to think.

Quoting kailu1835:

And the letter wasn't about her value as a woman, but about her health, and the message she is sending as a role model.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I don't think she was anywhere close to justifying her weight.  Her point was a womans value shouldn't be because of her looks and it sends a bad message to our youth (both male and female in my opinion). 

Quoting jessilin0113:

I don't think she ever claimed to be happy with her obesity, just that she's perfectly aware of it and there's no need to call out or shame others over it. 

Quoting kailu1835:

I can tell you that anyone who is completely happy with their obesity is not a role model for my girls. I don't want my kids modeling themselves after magazine/tv models either. Neither are healthy lifestyle choices. I realize that SOME people cannot help but be skinny and lose weight no matter what they do, but obesity is completely controllable 90% of the time, and is a lifestyle choice that is not only unhealthy, but makes you unsuitable as a role model for anyone's kids. I cannot stand TV shows and movies that glorify obesity. It sickens me that we are to the point where we tell kids "it's okay to be so overweight you can't even sit on the bus with another student (and yes, there is a kid on my son's bus in the morning that takes up most of the seat), and don't let anyone tell you different."  There is a reason kids are so overweight these days, and telling them it's okay is one of those reasons.

• MockingJay
    October 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Yes, much better to send kids the message that i they are not perfect, they need to hide away fro the public eye. If kids weight was determined by news casters appearance, the very overwhelming majority would not be overweight....

There is also a reason kids a judgemental little brats too....

Quoting kailu1835:

• MockingJay
    October 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM

That may be the message you got. The message I got is that you can follow your dreams and have an amazing career despite your personal challenges, and despite ugly, nasty people who will try to tear you down. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting kailu1835:

• MockingJay
    October 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Lets see, who should be get our information from? A smart fat investigative reporter, with 15 years of experience, or a skinny girl who is "like an investigative reporter"

Hmmmmm...hard one, said no one ever!

Quoting asfriend:

I am like an investigative reporter, I like to look at all angles of a story.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Um, did I miss part of the article?  How do you know she wasn't working there before the met, date or got married?  But, it is nice to see you got the gist of the story (note the sarcasm here).

Quoting asfriend:

isn't the real story here the nepotism involved, obviously she isn't going to be an anchor on TV if not for her husband.

• MockingJay
    October 2, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Really great point! Teachers are role models, you gonna pull your kid out of school because their teacher is overweight? What about any person that your family might come into contact with, who is overweight? You gonna shield your kids eyes, and drag them away, so there is no chance they look at that person as someone they want to weigh like? Sheesh people. 

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting kailu1835:

• MockingJay
    October 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I still do not get your point. It looks like you are saying that she cannot respond to bullying because she is fat due to her own personal habits, and that only people who are fat for medical reasons deserve to respond and be heard if they are bullied. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Hmm... have you had a caliper test done?  From your description you don't SOUND obese.  And for the record, I have always had the disclaimer that I'm not talking about those people who are overweight due to medical conditions (including taking medication for those conditons).  I have a friend whose seizure medication made her balloon.  I literally watched her pack on 20 pounds in 2 months time :(

I did not mean that this woman being on TV was glorifying obesity, but looking back I can totally tell where you would think that.  When I mentioned TV shows glorifying obesity, I was talking about TV shows and Movies that glorify obesity.  I don't consider a fat person working a news show to be glorifying anything... except maybe stupid reporting lol

Also, what I'm talking about when I say that obese people should not be employed teaching children about heating healthy, is the same line of thinking when I say that I will not go to a doctor who smokes.  Or if I do drugs, who am I to lecture my children on the dangers of drugs.  Same with drinking, or any other lifestyle choice that is extremely unhealthy.  It is a question of qualification.  That being said, again, this is about people who choose to overeat, or only eat crap, don't exercise, etc.  I watched the Voice the other day with a man who weighed over 500 pounds.  He was talking about how he used to be 900 pounds, and that by dieting and exercising, he had already lost 400 pounds.  Now THAT is an obese person I would listen to, because he is actively trying to lose weight, and succeeding in an enormous way.  The obese person I would ignore is the one lecturing me on healthy eating during class time, and then reaching for the doritos at lunch time, KWIM?

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting kailu1835:

• sbanks143
    October 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    She is wonderful!

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN