Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
futureshock
Should Grandparents Have Rights To Their Grandchildren?
April 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

If so, what rights?  If not, why not?

Replies

• futureshock
    April 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
  • T-Rentsmommy06
    April 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    I think if the children are in danger with their parents, whether it be neglect or abuse. However, my sons have three sets of grandparents, how would you decide who has "more" rights over them? Also, would that include unborn grandchildren? Could that grandparent force a parent to keep a child they didn't want? I just think if you give too many people rights over one child you take away the parents rights.
    But I did not read the other post, so I do not know where the idea stems off of fully, I guess.
  • MrsSamMerlotte
    April 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    I think it is for the parents to decide, not the courts
  • momtoscott
    April 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

No. Not unless they have been awarded legal custody, in which case there is a lot more in play.   

• illinoismommy83
    April 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

In-laws have the right to remain silent, everything they say can and will be used against them.

• owl0210
    by owl0210
    April 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    No I don't because they are not the biological parent and that would create a slippery slope for other extended family wanting rights. Nobody has a say over my child except his father and I.
  • Carpy
    by Carpy
    April 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Not when their name is Ray and Kay Berryhill founders of Grandparents Rights in New Strenght (GRINS)

Google them and see what wonderful people they are, then I will tell you what they really are.  MONSTERS.

http://www.medhelp.org/amshc/ASHC745.HTM

G.R.I.N.S. (Grandparent Rights In New Strength)
    National. 33 affiliated groups. Founded 1992. To reunite family bonding and heritage, allowing the ancestry of children, grandparents and relatives to continue after divorce and extraction from parents by the Family Social Services. Works with religious, local, state and federal officials to adopt uniform laws allowing visitation. Court &mediation support, phone help. Assistance in starting new groups. Write: G.R.I.N.S., 0689 CR5, Corunna, IN 46730. Call Ray and Kay Berryhill (219)281-2384.
    < divorce separation grandparent family parenting >

I grew up with their extremely abused kids.  When the kids grew up and refused to let the monsters see their own kids he went on the roll with this org.  They sit as directors on a few grandparents rights counsels and even appeared on Oprah once. 

• Paigesmommy78
    April 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

if something happens to one of the parents as in the grandparents child and the other parent is trying to keep the child away from the grandparents then yes they should have a say even more so if that parent is a nut job

• _Bama_
    by _Bama_
    April 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yes I think they have a right to see their grandchildren if.... they are stable people....not loons...   My neighbors got awarded their grandchildren for a time because their son and his wife are hoarders... and the children were suffering because of it... When they got the situation under control the courts let the children go back to their parents but the grandparents were awarded visitation rights... Every other weekend and several weeks in the summer. 

• Firenygirl180
    April 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    only if something happened to both parents. or if their child dies and they stil want their grandchild to be a part of their life.
    i don't think they should beinvoled in any decision making while both parents are alive.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN