March 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Saw this on Facebook.

• MrsDex
    by MrsDex
    March 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

wow.... just wow.

• brittonJ
    March 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Min wage here is 7.25 w/ insurance, 8.25 w/o.

At 40 hours a week, that's 1160. By the time taxes are taken out that's JUST enough to pay for a good apartment and NOTHING else.

• TruthSeeker.
    March 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    If you make minimum wage wouldn't you qualify for low income housing?
  • Not_A_Native
    March 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Minimum wage was never meant to support a family.  It was for those starting out, with unskilled jobs.

So - a 2 bedroom apartment?  Um - yeah.  Maybe don't be working a minimum wage job when you start a family.

• hollinicole
    March 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    .its 7.25 here for a ton of jobs even ones that would normal have middle pay somewhere else. I make 9 am hour and that is pushing it. I know people who went to college for 4 year or more that make only 50 cent more then me. Its crazy
  • ms.sophsmom
    March 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    Wow.. in CO I've yet to see a min wage spot with benes of any kind. Nor do many offer ulfull time hours :( its rough out there.

Quoting brittonJ:

At 40 hours a week, that's 1160. By the time taxes are taken out that's JUST enough to pay for a good apartment and NOTHING else.

• kailu1835
    March 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Minimum wage jobs were not meant to be lived on.  They are meant to be entry level positions.  Unfortunately our economy means a lot fewer jobs outside of the minimum wage arena :(

• brittonJ
    March 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM

It is worth noting I live in an area where everything costs a lot (not like NY though!!). $900 gets you a 1 bed/bath but it's in a nice area. KWIM?

Quoting ms.sophsmom:

Wow.. in CO I've yet to see a min wage spot with benes of any kind. Nor do many offer ulfull time hours :( its rough out there.

Quoting brittonJ:

• ms.sophsmom
    March 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    God... so Thts really bad.

Quoting brittonJ:

It is worth noting I live in an area where everything costs a lot (not like NY though!!). $900 gets you a 1 bed/bath but it's in a nice area. KWIM?

Quoting ms.sophsmom:

Quoting brittonJ:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN