March 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Replies

• xo.MommyW.xo
    March 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    To afford my rent only youd have to work like 120 hrs
  • MommyVC
    by MommyVC
    March 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Where I live, you can get a decent (but small: 700-900 square feet, 2-3 bedrooms) apartment, not in the bad areas of town, for $500-$600.

• heidimoose134
    March 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    I think most of us can agree that minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage. I think the heart of the issue is that many people who have lost well paying jobs haven't been able to find work that pays better than minimum wage.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Minimum wage is not meant to be a LIVING wage.  It was meant to be the bottom tier of the pay system...high school/college jobs...some entry level jobs...low skill jobs.  People wonder where the middle class went..it got slurped up by the increasing minimum wage.

I would love to be able to pay my counter girl & delivery driver the fed min wage..and give the extra dollar and change to my skilled workers instead...state of Oregon says I can't....so my counter girl and delivery driver got a fifty cent raise to $8.80 while my skilled workers..those in the middle class got nothing..the gap between closes some more.. 

Oh and before I become evil, mean, uncaring or greedy.  I will happily pay them all $20 an hour if you will happily pay $30 to have a shirt cleaned.

• momtoscott
    March 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM

People who work in low skilled jobs don't deserve to be able to afford housing?  This study makes me sad.  It's not talking about buying a house, but just affording a rented apartment.  People working a cash register at WalMart or cleaning up vomit in elementary schools for 40+ hours a week are working hard, too, and whatever more fortunate people may think of their job choices, the jobs are there and need to be done by somebody.  Back when I made minimum wage, which was a long time ago, it gave me enough to afford a one-bedroom apartment in a safe area of town; it sucks that this isn't the case any more.      

• KCisPaulsMom
    March 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Heidi... I agree... Plus... I highly doubt anyone who needs to support a family wants to stay in a minimum wage job. We all want to make more than we do. It's not always easy to get to that next level. And like someone said in another reply.. we need people to work those minimum wage jobs. And people who work those minimum wage jobs deserve a place to live. What do those people do when low income housing fills up and there's a long waiting list? Are they supposed to live on the street? That's not fair.

Quoting heidimoose134:

I think most of us can agree that minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage. I think the heart of the issue is that many people who have lost well paying jobs haven't been able to find work that pays better than minimum wage.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Minimum wage is not meant to be a LIVING wage.  It was meant to be the bottom tier of the pay system...high school/college jobs...some entry level jobs...low skill jobs.  People wonder where the middle class went..it got slurped up by the increasing minimum wage.

I would love to be able to pay my counter girl & delivery driver the fed min wage..and give the extra dollar and change to my skilled workers instead...state of Oregon says I can't....so my counter girl and delivery driver got a fifty cent raise to $8.80 while my skilled workers..those in the middle class got nothing..the gap between closes some more.. 

Oh and before I become evil, mean, uncaring or greedy.  I will happily pay them all $20 an hour if you will happily pay $30 to have a shirt cleaned.

• mom23heathens
    March 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Minimum wage was never meant to support a family.  It was for those starting out, with unskilled jobs.

So - a 2 bedroom apartment?  Um - yeah.  Maybe don't be working a minimum wage job when you start a family.

I was a sahm, and suddenly found myself a divorced mom that had to go to work. I got married my 2nd yr of college, and i left school to start our family. I always thought i would go back to school later but at that time i didn't think it was necessary.  When i did this i loved him and never thought he would sleep with a 15yr old and get her pg. All i could find was part time jobs at barely over min wage. I had 2 of those and an infant and toddler. I didn't start my family on  min.  wage. Things just happen to ppl, not necessarily planned that way. Back then i couldn't afford a 1 bdrm apt.

• yourspecialkid
    March 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I agree with you 100%.  Since they can't seem to do anything with min wage except increase it..I would like to see a tiered system.  I would also like to see manufacturing increased in this country.  Our middle class was built on it!  There are ways to not only improve the economy but make it soar...it will take a several prong approach though...and given all the bickering 2 yr olds in DC (BOTH parties) that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

BTW, I like your username..too cute!

• mom23heathens
    March 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM

The wait list is so loooooooooong and most ppl don't ever get it bc there is only so much to go around.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If you make minimum wage wouldn't you qualify for low income housing?

• TruthSeeker.
    March 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

So, what do people do? Are they given cash assistance?

Quoting mom23heathens:

The wait list is so loooooooooong and most ppl don't ever get it bc there is only so much to go around.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

• bmack2107
    March 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Not always. The system is ridiculous... but also... a lot of the low income housing places are filled with drug addicts, or are just in bad areas. Not saying all of them are, but it's not easy to find them in good areas. Not around here anyway.

Quoting TruthSeeker.: