Replies

• turtle68
    March 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM

dont worry...youre working in months LOL

• toomanypoodles
    March 16, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting brittonJ:

Min wage here is 7.25 w/ insurance, 8.25 w/o.

At 40 hours a week, that's 1160. By the time taxes are taken out that's JUST enough to pay for a good apartment and NOTHING else.

um...dont know if Im missing something but 40 x 7.25 = 290.

I think she means that's a monthy income.....and no, that's not enough to live on. 

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    March 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I am not surprised at Hawaii.. shit is expensive here

• risa_alvarez
    March 16, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I must be really lucky where I live then. I have a two bedroom apartment (540$/mth)  in a nice middle class neighborhood. Luckily I make more than minimum wage, but I budget on my bills on less than 1160$ mth just in case something were to happen and money wasn't coming in.

• mrstheriault
    March 16, 2012 at 2:55 AM

before we got married, dh and i both worked min wage jobs full time. by himself he *did not* make enough to qualify for *low income* housing. i had to sign saying i "gave him" a certain amount of money every month. one bedroom. 

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    March 16, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Hawaii's Section 8 is not even taking applications right now.... 

• turtle68
    March 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Our minimum wage here is 15.50.  about 590 a week, after tax about 490.  The average rent for a 2 bed apartment (or units / flats ) is about 280.  But they are hard to come by, 3 bedroom homes on 1/4 acre blocks are the norm here and they are approx 300-380 depending on age.

If you are on minimum you are usually a teen or young adult in their first job...so if you were renting, chances are you are sharing with friends.

Average wage for a adult who has been working a while is around 20 an hour.

• mitchiesgirl
    March 16, 2012 at 3:02 AM
    We dont rent but if we did pay the same as we do out mortgage- the minimum wage is 8.50 here and I'd have to work almost 300 hours to pay smh
  • jesusismyfriend
    March 16, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Freak, my state is one of the highest.

• yourspecialkid
    March 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Minimum wage is not meant to be a LIVING wage.  It was meant to be the bottom tier of the pay system...high school/college jobs...some entry level jobs...low skill jobs.  People wonder where the middle class went..it got slurped up by the increasing minimum wage.

I would love to be able to pay my counter girl & delivery driver the fed min wage..and give the extra dollar and change to my skilled workers instead...state of Oregon says I can't....so my counter girl and delivery driver got a fifty cent raise to $8.80 while my skilled workers..those in the middle class got nothing..the gap between closes some more.. 

Oh and before I become evil, mean, uncaring or greedy.  I will happily pay them all $20 an hour if you will happily pay $30 to have a shirt cleaned.