Replies

• turtle68
    March 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM

dont worry...youre working in months LOL

• toomanypoodles
    March 16, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting brittonJ:

Min wage here is 7.25 w/ insurance, 8.25 w/o.

At 40 hours a week, that's 1160. By the time taxes are taken out that's JUST enough to pay for a good apartment and NOTHING else.

um...dont know if Im missing something but 40 x 7.25 = 290.

I think she means that's a monthy income.....and no, that's not enough to live on. 

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    March 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I am not surprised at Hawaii.. shit is expensive here

• risa_alvarez
    March 16, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I must be really lucky where I live then. I have a two bedroom apartment (540$/mth)  in a nice middle class neighborhood. Luckily I make more than minimum wage, but I budget on my bills on less than 1160$ mth just in case something were to happen and money wasn't coming in.

• mrstheriault
    March 16, 2012 at 2:55 AM

before we got married, dh and i both worked min wage jobs full time. by himself he *did not* make enough to qualify for *low income* housing. i had to sign saying i "gave him" a certain amount of money every month. one bedroom. 

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    March 16, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Hawaii's Section 8 is not even taking applications right now.... 

• turtle68
    March 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Our minimum wage here is 15.50.  about 590 a week, after tax about 490.  The average rent for a 2 bed apartment (or units / flats ) is about 280.  But they are hard to come by, 3 bedroom homes on 1/4 acre blocks are the norm here and they are approx 300-380 depending on age.

If you are on minimum you are usually a teen or young adult in their first job...so if you were renting, chances are you are sharing with friends.

Average wage for a adult who has been working a while is around 20 an hour.

• mitchiesgirl
    March 16, 2012 at 3:02 AM
    We dont rent but if we did pay the same as we do out mortgage- the minimum wage is 8.50 here and I'd have to work almost 300 hours to pay smh
  • jesusismyfriend
    March 16, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Freak, my state is one of the highest.

• yourspecialkid
    March 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Minimum wage is not meant to be a LIVING wage.  It was meant to be the bottom tier of the pay system...high school/college jobs...some entry level jobs...low skill jobs.  People wonder where the middle class went..it got slurped up by the increasing minimum wage.

I would love to be able to pay my counter girl & delivery driver the fed min wage..and give the extra dollar and change to my skilled workers instead...state of Oregon says I can't....so my counter girl and delivery driver got a fifty cent raise to $8.80 while my skilled workers..those in the middle class got nothing..the gap between closes some more.. 

Oh and before I become evil, mean, uncaring or greedy.  I will happily pay them all $20 an hour if you will happily pay $30 to have a shirt cleaned.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN