heidimoose134
Hours at minimum wage needed to afford rent
March 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Replies

• Rubberbiscuit
    March 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM

110 hours in my state, Massachusetts.  Wow. 

• Not_A_Native
    March 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Quoting Rubberbiscuit:

110 hours in my state, Massachusetts.  Wow. 

Maybe has something to do with that "free" healthcare, no?

• GoddessNDaRuff
    March 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM

When I got my apartment min wage was 5.25 and I made 6.50 and wasn't supposed to work over 25 hours a week. I worked 35 and our rent was 495 the cheapest we could find for a two bed room and in a not great neighborhood. (There was a shooting every week). Plus the cost of utilities AND we didn't qualify for anything other than $100 in food stamps but got wic when I got pregnant. I couldn't imagine trying to pull it off now especially because right after I left the rent went up in those apartments dramatically trying to keep pace with the rest of the city. At the time a couple of places wanted 800 for a studio.

I'll say it again though not all jobs/careers can be family sustainable. Even with the influx of new workers every year without the people who work those low income jobs while other are at high paying ones and students are in class people would not be able to stop by a resturant, go to a movie, grocery shop, etc before dang near evening. All tiers need the others, with out the top the  bottom wouldn't get paid but without the bottom there would be no top. People seem to forget that.

• Rhiannon92
    March 16, 2012 at 2:28 AM

No wonder we are all dependent on the government.

• lovemylittle1
    March 16, 2012 at 2:31 AM
    Wow. Minimum wage here is $8.80 so at 40 hours a week that would bring in $1408.00 before taxes. That would be pleaznty for me to live on, with extra for saving. All of my monthly expenses come out to about $850.
  • colbys_mom
    March 16, 2012 at 2:33 AM
    Min wage is 10 here. I work fulltime 35 to 40 hours a week unpaid breaks. And one paycheck goes straight to rent. So 2 full weeks of the month only gives us a roof over our heads...
  • lovemylittle1
    March 16, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Thats nothing compared to my state. There is only one county left that is even letting anyone onto the low income housing waiting list.

Quoting JessT5280:

1 bedroom apartments here are over $1000. Low income housing is right now, a 3 year wait list. 

• toomanypoodles
    March 16, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Quoting Rhiannon92:

No wonder so many are dependant on the government.

• Rhiannon92
    March 16, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Point taken.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Rhiannon92:

No wonder so many are dependant on the government.

• turtle68
    March 16, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Quoting brittonJ:

Min wage here is 7.25 w/ insurance, 8.25 w/o.

At 40 hours a week, that's 1160. By the time taxes are taken out that's JUST enough to pay for a good apartment and NOTHING else.

um...dont know if Im missing something but 40 x 7.25 = 290.