Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Robin
Americans Who Prefer 'Merry Christmas' to 'Happy Holidays' Are Wrong
December 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM

What do you think?

Americans Who Prefer 'Merry Christmas' to 'Happy Holidays' Are Wrong

Posted by Maressa Brown on November 30, 2011

merry christmas sign in windowI suppose in an attempt to spread the opposite of holiday cheer, a Rasmussen report has confirmed for at least the third year in a row that most American adults -- 70 percent! -- prefer stores greet customers with "Merry Christmas" as opposed to "Happy Holidays." Oh, dear. Nothing like some good old-fashioned "U.S.A.!" discrimination to make this time of year even more stressful!

When I read something like this, I can't help but recall my Midwestern suburban childhood, during which I was one of the only -- if not the only -- Jewish kids in school, from kindergarten on up through senior year. Plenty of teachers were happy to have me give a little speech to the class about the eight-day Festival of Lights or to include "The Dreidel Song" in our holiday choir show. But, at the same time, being wished an exclusive "Merry Christmas" (not "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!" -- there is a distinction) by neighbors and in stores never failed to get on my nerves.

Over the years, despite moving to an area where I'm not a minority at all, not much has changed. No, I'm not being a total Grinch. I appreciate the "Merry Christmas" sentiment! I think, "Why, thank you, I'll certainly have a merry Christmas ... while partaking in my family's typical December 25 tradition of Chinese food and a movie!" But the blatant neglect of different religions and cultures irritates me all the same, on behalf of my fellow Jews, and Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, agnostics, all of whom are also Americans.

Yes, I get it. We're a tiny, measly group compared to the 76 percent of Americans who identify themselves as Christians (which might explain the almost exact match-up to the percent who prefer "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays"). But that doesn't mean we should be slighted, ignored, or outright disrespected this time of the year.

Regardless of how FOX News types constantly attempt to spin it, saying "Happy Holidays" isn't overly PC, and it doesn't detract from Christmas. It's the most humanitarian, diplomatic, and oh yeah, sensible sentiment to offer a stranger or for retail stores to wish their customers. It's an acknowledgment that not every American celebrates Christmas. That there are those of us out there who celebrate holidays other than Christmas (and even they don't fall in December, there's always New Year's, which I've always figured "Happy Holidays" encompasses). And after all, isn't the message of the holidays "peace on Earth, good will toward men"?

I'm not talking about going to extremes, you know, like asking that a mall/town/store rename their Christmas tree a "holiday tree." (Although if they have a tree, they should also have a menorah and perhaps some secular symbols prominently displayed.) But when it comes to season's greetings in a civil/public place, "Happy Holidays" is certainly the expression for the job.

Where do you fall in this debate?

Replies

• iluv2meow
    December 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Quoting romalove:

Just meow at them.  You can't go wrong with that.

I do randomly meow at people people I know and people I dont know and the ones that dont know me look at me if I was kidding... Kina like that super trooper video.

• Euphoric
    December 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, I think I will meow at people too, lol.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting iluv2meow:

well as far as I can see Christmas has become one of several holidays with conflicting issues for example:

People are offended if you say Merry Christmas

People are offended if you DONT say Merry Christmas

Meaning

Be damned if you do or dont

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Um people, when you look at the calendar it says CHRISTMAS....

Yeah, it sure does. And since most stores are CLOSED on Dec. 25th, I don't understand why all the Xtians get their panties in a bunch over not being wished a "Merry Christmas".

confused

Just meow at them.  You can't go wrong with that.

• sdmckinney
    December 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I did not read those threads.  Wow!  That is really shocking!  If the cross was as important to them as they claim it is, they should have quickly moved it.  They shouldn't have wanted it desecrated in any way.  Why was it on public property in the first place?  Don't they know that when an arm of the cross is cut off that signifies a religious symbol as well?  I am sure they didn't.  I can't believe that they would rather have something destroyed than move it.  That is really sad that they would be so stubborn that they are willing to let something they see as a symbol of their religion destroyed instead of accepting a very reasonable alternative.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Maybe. We can always hope. Have you read the threads about the cross that was on a watertower? In that case, the good Christian majority of the town had two choices - move it to a location on private property (which, by the by, they themselves admit would have provided even greater visibility) OR desecrate the cross by sawing off an arm of it and leave it on public property. You'd think that would be a no-brainer. But they wanted to be spiteful and thumb their noses at Atheists and so they chopped an arm off the cross. That baffles me as much as those who literally spit the name of Christ in their holiday greetings just to make sure everybody knows they could care less about anyone else's holiday as long as theirs is exclusively recognized. It's sad, really.

Quoting sdmckinney:

Well, maybe they will learn to deal with what ever issues they have and focus on something more productive.  If they would think about it, what someone else chooses to celebrate does not decrease the significance of what they choose to celebrate.  If it did, than they need to reconsider how strong they are in their faith anyway.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I agree. Nevertheless, it happens throughout the season - people pitch fits over stores saying Happy Holidays and scream that somehow Christ is being removed from Christmas by showing respect to all holidays rather than just acknowleding one.

Quoting sdmckinney:

That makes no since.  I look at either way as a pleasant greeting.  I don't get upset by the way someone greets me, unless it is said in a hateful or offensive manner.  People should be able to say which ever they choose.  It is a free country.  If they spend too much time getting upset about this issue, they are really only hurting themselves.  It must be extremely stressful for a person to get upset about every single issue and take it as some type of attack.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

It happens all the time during the mythical "war on Christmas", which itself proves what sone are saying. The "war" is perceived as an attack by some Christians in part because of Happy Holidays being said. Many Chrisyians are two faced on the greeting issue - on one hand they tell others to "get over it, Merry Christmas is just a happy greeting" but on the other hand scream "no fair!!! It's an attack" over Happy Holidays.

Quoting sdmckinney:

I haven't heard anyone say it in an offensive manner.  Maybe someone has, but if they had they don't really get the point of the holiday they are supposedly attempting to promote.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

You are wrong that people don't ever say Merry Christmas with the intention of being offensive. Just about any time is is said with a deliberate and pointed emphasis on the Christ syllable, it might as well be accompanied by a middle finger. At those times it absolutely is being said with anger and intended offense. And is often a response TO being told Happy Holidays.

Quoting sdmckinney:

You are right.  I understand the type of political correctness that attempts to eliminate things that are truly offensive to people. I think it is the persons intent behind the statement that really matters.  I don't think anyone intends to offend anyone else by saying "merry Christmas" or "happy holidays."  People will become more divided if we try to think of something in some one's word that may be offensive to someone.  If the greeter has good intentions, that is the part we should see.

Quoting Thomigirl:

The Stig!!!

Quoting silverrose7:

I say Merry Christmas because that's what I've always said. I don't get offended if someone says Happy Holidays or Happy Hanukkah to me, why should they get pissed if I say Merry Christmas? When did manners go completely out the window? If someone says something nice you just smile and say "You too." How hard is that? Political correctness does alot more to divide than to unite.

• gamama6
    by gamama6
    December 7, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Not wrong just considerate of everybody IMO.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN