Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
_Kissy_
Guilt tripped into saying Merry Christmas
by _Kissy_
November 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM

We can't say Happy Holidays anymore now we are being guilt tripped into saying "Merry Christmas". We can't call it a Holiday Tree, people want to call it a "Christmas" Tree again? All simply because it was stolen from the Pagans to begin with, and now it's offending the christians. If you don't like our "Customs" and it offends you so much then YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER STOLE IT TO BEGIN WITH. They are called customs and we have our traditions. ... BLESSED YULE! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! -)O(-

Actually, I call it a 'Yule Tree" or 'Solstice Tree" but the sentiment remains the same!

Like Christianity is the only religion in this country that has a holiday around the winter solstice? Besides Yule and Winter Solstice and New Year's Day and Christmas, there's the Greek Pagan Heliogena, and the Jewish Hanukkah, and I think the Hindu holiday of Diwali is in November just before Thanksgiving, and depending on the calendar the Muslims might have Idd al-Fitr or the Feast of Sacrifice around the end of the year also, and you have Kwanzaa, and Festivus, and I'm sure this list is incomplete. I think Happy Holidays is appropriate.

Replies

• morbidmandy
    November 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

It's funny how people take something as polite as "happy holidays" and turn it into an attack. well said, though :) i just say happy holidays all the time since it is in fact a holiday and i'd like you to have a happy one.

• SuperChicken
    November 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Quoting mommietimes3:

Boo Hoo! No one who is living stole anything from YOU personally so get over it. No one forces you to say anything, do you not celebrate Christmas?Do the people who are saying Merry Christmas know or care that you're pagan? People like you are loud mouthed rude Christian haters.

It's people like you who are trying to force Christians to conform to YOUR way of thinking, you're the minority when it comes to the distaste of the phrase Merry Christmas so crawl back under your pagan rock.

Now here's the Christmas spirit!  Don't you just feel the love wafting through your computer?   Absolutely what Jesus would say!   

• TCgirlatheart
    TC
    November 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM

This reminds me of a woman who had a child in my son's music class last year.  We were ending the semester in November, before Thanksgiving, and would not be joining up again until January.  So as each person said good-bye, I said "Happy Holidays" figuring I would encompass Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, and all those in between I missed.  This woman walks over to stand next to me and said "Merry Christmas" every time I said Happy Holidays.  I mean it was IMEDIATELY after I said it each time.  It was so odd.

• muslimahpj
    November 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM

YOu know what I say? I say you say whatever you want and others say whatever they want and everyone gets over it. 

simple smile

• dustinsmom1
    November 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I say Merry Christmas, I have  a Christmas tree, MOST religions have factions of other beliefs or religions worked into their own. No one is guilting anyone into doing anything, but don't make people who celebrate Christmas feel guilty for saying Merry Christmas...that's what i see happening. I don't care if you say happy Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever back, they are pleasantries meant to be exchanged. If you take it badly, thats your problem, not mine.

• dustinsmom1
    November 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Quoting morbidmandy:

It's funny how people take something as polite as "happy holidays" and turn it into an attack. well said, though :) i just say happy holidays all the time since it is in fact a holiday and i'd like you to have a happy one.

And even funnier that anyone should take something as pleasant as Merry Christmas and turn it into an attack...see how that goes both ways?

• dustinsmom1
    November 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Quoting rocketracer:

I think I'll start calling a menorah the holiday candle holder. 

Love this!! LOLOL!

• candlegal
    November 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

that is close to 150 years ago

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting candlegal:

As long as Christmas is a federal holiday and people are getting a paid day off, you would think they wouldn't have a problem saying Merry Christmas. 

If they don't like calling it Christmas, go ahead and work that day.

Funny...it took until 1870 for it to be recognized...

• OneToughMami
    November 30, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I swear this is the only place I see shit like this. People here say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays interchangeably all the time lol...CafeMom is the only place I see people getting all assed out about it...but I stick by it being a Tannenbaum.

• OneToughMami
    November 30, 2011 at 5:54 PM

And close to 200 since the first person landed here...100 about since the country became a county...just some Christmas history...did you know the Puritans banned Christmas?

Quoting candlegal:

that is close to 150 years ago

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting candlegal:

As long as Christmas is a federal holiday and people are getting a paid day off, you would think they wouldn't have a problem saying Merry Christmas. 

If they don't like calling it Christmas, go ahead and work that day.

Funny...it took until 1870 for it to be recognized...

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN