_Kissy_
Guilt tripped into saying Merry Christmas
by _Kissy_
November 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM

We can't say Happy Holidays anymore now we are being guilt tripped into saying "Merry Christmas". We can't call it a Holiday Tree, people want to call it a "Christmas" Tree again? All simply because it was stolen from the Pagans to begin with, and now it's offending the christians. If you don't like our "Customs" and it offends you so much then YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER STOLE IT TO BEGIN WITH. They are called customs and we have our traditions. ... BLESSED YULE! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! -)O(-

Actually, I call it a 'Yule Tree" or 'Solstice Tree" but the sentiment remains the same!

Like Christianity is the only religion in this country that has a holiday around the winter solstice? Besides Yule and Winter Solstice and New Year's Day and Christmas, there's the Greek Pagan Heliogena, and the Jewish Hanukkah, and I think the Hindu holiday of Diwali is in November just before Thanksgiving, and depending on the calendar the Muslims might have Idd al-Fitr or the Feast of Sacrifice around the end of the year also, and you have Kwanzaa, and Festivus, and I'm sure this list is incomplete. I think Happy Holidays is appropriate.

Replies

• Raintree
    November 30, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Happy Good-Merry!

Quoting Radarma:

I am just gonna walk around saying "happy" to people; they can fill in the blank.

Yup.

• Raintree
    November 30, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Oh, just for the record, I did get a "You all have a Merry Christmas" from Chuck, the propane guy today. I said "You too!"

• candlegal
    November 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I say Merry Christmas, most people say it back, if they don't, that is their choice

• mommietimes3
    November 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Boo Hoo! No one who is living stole anything from YOU personally so get over it. No one forces you to say anything, do you not celebrate Christmas?Do the people who are saying Merry Christmas know or care that you're pagan? People like you are loud mouthed rude Christian haters.

It's people like you who are trying to force Christians to conform to YOUR way of thinking, you're the minority when it comes to the distaste of the phrase Merry Christmas so crawl back under your pagan rock.

• candlegal
    November 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

As long as Christmas is a federal holiday and people are getting a paid day off, you would think they wouldn't have a problem saying Merry Christmas. 

If they don't like calling it Christmas, go ahead and work that day.

• katy_kay08
    November 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    I say happy holidays and if you complain that's one less card I have to send next year. :)
  • Peanutx3
    November 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I say Merry Christmas to those I know celebrate Christmas, I say Happy Hanukkah to those I know who celebrate Hanukkah, Happy Yule to who celebrate Yule and Happy Holidays to those I don't know.

• katy_kay08
    November 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM

SMH...yes it's a federal holiday which only means that the Federal government recognizes the day and Federal employees are given the day off.  It certainly doesn't mean every person has the day off and that those that do are paid for the day.  

There are other Federal holidays that are hardly recognized in the daily running of companies around the country.  It seems silly to suggest that it should be more sacred because because the Federal government recognizes it, they also get Washington's birthday off.  Should people be forced to go around singing happy birthday all day long because the federal government gives employees the day off?   

Quoting candlegal:

As long as Christmas is a federal holiday and people are getting a paid day off, you would think they wouldn't have a problem saying Merry Christmas. 

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    November 30, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Quoting mommietimes3:

Boo Hoo! No one who is living stole anything from YOU personally so get over it. No one forces you to say anything, do you not celebrate Christmas?Do the people who are saying Merry Christmas know or care that you're pagan? People like you are loud mouthed rude Christian haters.

It's people like you who are trying to force Christians to conform to YOUR way of thinking, you're the minority when it comes to the distaste of the phrase Merry Christmas so crawl back under your pagan rock.

mmm kay

• Elkamelka
    November 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I don't have any problems wishing people a Happy Christmas (I say happy because I just know I should have been born in London).  I also don't care that people say Merry Christmas to me, even though I am Jewish.  I take it in the context it is given...a sentiment that comes from the heart.

I do, however, have a problem with any kind of person complaining and moaning that "we" are taking the Christ out of Christmas and trying to convince a whole bunch of people who have different beliefs that their holiday takes precedence over mine or any other.

I don't work Christmas and get paid.   I don't have a problem say Merry Christmas; but people who do, shouldn't have to wish it, whether they get paid for that day or not. 

Quoting candlegal: