Kids & Fun!

sheena696
Gardens....
January 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM

So my son has decided that we will be planting a garden this year. He seems to forget that his mom isn't good at this type of thing. But for him, I will give it a go this year. I have a lot of things I want to do outside this year so I figure why not. But I'm up for any advice that can be given. What is easy to plant and etc. 

Replies

• StacyO722
    January 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I love gardening. We have a ton of tomato plants, cucumbers, zucchini, bell & jalapeno peppers, cabbage, and we try some new things every year.

My only advice is to start small, don't go overboard the 1st time. Try a few different things, see what works best in your soil.

Don't try and start tomatoes from seeds, it takes way too long for them to grow. Buy the plants from your local gardening store. Same with peppers. 

Zucchini are great and produce a lot of fruit for a long time.

I can't think of anything else right now....I'll try and think of more :) Good luck!

• SassyWildflower
    January 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    I love gardening but im no expert. I have turned to pinterest for ideas and tips lol
  • hcdeubof3
    January 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

flower or veggie or herbs?

flower: I tend to kill things

veggie: tomatoes with marigolds (okay the only flower I can manage not to kill. That and dandilions. HA) The marigolds will keep the bugs and rabbits away. Pumpkins aren't that bad, but they need room. 

herbs: just about anything. 

• sheena696
    January 21, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Quoting hcdeubof3:

flower or veggie or herbs?

flower: I tend to kill things

veggie: tomatoes with marigolds (okay the only flower I can manage not to kill. That and dandilions. HA) The marigolds will keep the bugs and rabbits away. Pumpkins aren't that bad, but they need room. 

herbs: just about anything. 

Brad has assigned Taylor the flowers. lol I think I will do some herbs too now that I think about it! I still have my pallets that I never made anything out of so maybe I can make one of those herb gardens like are on pinterest with it. lol

• eds6619
    by eds6619
    January 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Cucumbers are fool-proof. Beets are really easy too. Tomatoes are good but don't water them.
  • MaryanneMac
    January 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I grow flowers.  Everytime I try for an herb or vegie, I end up killing it.

• sheena696
    January 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Quoting eds6619:

Cucumbers are fool-proof. Beets are really easy too. Tomatoes are good but don't water them.

You would be surprised at what I can kill. lol Ick on the beets, but no watering the plants? I'm betting I'll accomplish that. lol

• Iluvmy2kiddies
    January 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I agree with you, I started the peppers from seeds and it's taking forever. 

Quoting StacyO722:

I love gardening. We have a ton of tomato plants, cucumbers, zucchini, bell & jalapeno peppers, cabbage, and we try some new things every year.

My only advice is to start small, don't go overboard the 1st time. Try a few different things, see what works best in your soil.

Don't try and start tomatoes from seeds, it takes way too long for them to grow. Buy the plants from your local gardening store. Same with peppers. 

Zucchini are great and produce a lot of fruit for a long time.

I can't think of anything else right now....I'll try and think of more :) Good luck!

• Iluvmy2kiddies
    January 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I'm going to start with tomatoes.

• Babybear89
    January 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    We are starting one too

Kids & Fun!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to