Kids & Fun!

Cafe Kelly
Diet Soda Could Be Making You Depressed on Top of Everything Else
January 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Diet Soda Could Be Making You Depressed on Top of Everything Else

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

soda bottlesUnless you live under a rock, you're most likely already well aware of the fact that diet soda is really, really bad for you. We're talking increased risk of stroke, heart disease, weight gain (ironic, that one), diabetes, and even cancer bad for you, which is pretty damn bad. Well, guess what? Turns out diet soda could be bad for your mental health as well as your physical health: A recent study links diet soda consumption to an increased risk of depression. Sheesh. What a bummer!

The study surveyed the habits of 263,900 adults in the U.S. over the span of one year (1995 to 1996), then followed up roughly 10 years later asking if any had been diagnosed with depression since the year 2000. Interestingly, both regular and diet soda drinkers were down in the dumps, but diet soda drinkers were worse off -- people who regularly drank four or more cans per day of regular soda were 22 percent more likely to have been diagnosed with depression, but people who regularly drank diet soda were 31 percent more likely.

Now, one could argue that this study isn't proof of any definitive link between diet soda and depression and isn't EVERYBODY depressed these days? But with all of the other associated risks, why bother drinking the stuff?! It doesn't even taste good!!

Do you drink diet soda?

Image via Joel Kramer/Flickr

Replies

• RyansMommie07
    January 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

part of me wonders if the depressed people have other issues... such as illness (diabetes, heart problems, etc and must drink diet) or are overweight. if they are overweight and depressed about it, of course theyll drink diet before regular in an effort to not gain more weight or make their health problems worse.   and yes, i drink diet soda. im diabetic, and a regular soda is just not worth an extra shot of insulin. 

• eds6619
    by eds6619
    January 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    I hate diet soda.
  • hcdeubof3
    January 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

yes I drink it. I go back and forth between diet, the real deal, and tea. I can't argue with the mental part although I personally don't feel it, but I think there must be another factor and not just diet soda is the crux. Maybe there is another common thread for all of us diet drinkers. 

• Babybear89
    January 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Diet soda is gross
  • Iluvmy2kiddies
    January 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

We don't drink diet soda here, and I agree that there might be more to it than just the diet soda.

• MaryanneMac
    January 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I'm only allowed to drink diet soda (being a diabetic), but I can't stand the taste (and aftertaste) so I drink water or on rare occasion crystal light.

Kids & Fun!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts