Kids & Fun!

jbyrd898
Five States to Increase More School Time
December 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM

What are your thoughts on this? Do you live in an area that may have more school time?

http://wlos.com/template/inews_wire/wires.national/22ae2ca5-www.wlos.com.shtml

5 states to increase class time in some schools
December 02, 2012 23:02 GMT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- School for thousands of public school students is about to get quite a bit longer.

Five states are to announce Monday that they will add at least 300 hours of learning time to the calendar in some schools starting in 2013. They are Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and Tennessee. The initiative is intended to boost student achievement and make U.S. schools more competitive on a global level.

The three-year pilot program will affect almost 20,000 students in 40 schools. Schools, working in concert with districts, parents and teachers, will decide whether to make the school day longer, add more days to the school year or both.

A mix of federal, state and district funds will cover the costs. The Ford Foundation and the National Center on Time & Learning will also chip in resources.

Education officials say spending more time in the classroom will give students access to a more well-rounded curriculum, individualized help for students who fall behind and opportunities to reinforce critical math and science skills.

Replies

• tamidawn
    December 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    I wonder which school in Colorado?!
  • MaryanneMac
    December 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I live in maryland, no change in the school day here. (at least not yet)

• jbyrd898
    December 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Quoting tamidawn:

I wonder which school in Colorado?!

I dont know either.

• lenoxclan
    December 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

no change here in Texas. And I bet parents that need after school care for their kids, will enjoy having the extra school time..lol

• jbyrd898
    December 4, 2012 at 6:10 AM

i personally think they should lower the teacher to student ratio rather then increase time, so that the students can get more attention.

• sheena696
    December 4, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Quoting jbyrd898:

i personally think they should lower the teacher to student ratio rather then increase time, so that the students can get more attention.

I agree! I was going to say quality over quantity as well. They can add hours all they want but if what goes on inside the classroom already isn't fixed then it isn't going to do a bit of good.

• jbyrd898
    December 4, 2012 at 6:17 AM

The increase in time is probably costing them $$ too. If it isnt, and they are just tacking on more work to already overwhelmed teachers that is a huge problem.

Quoting sheena696:

Quoting jbyrd898:

I agree! I was going to say quality over quantity as well. They can add hours all they want but if what goes on inside the classroom already isn't fixed then it isn't going to do a bit of good.

• Babybear89
    December 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    I like it. do wish we had more teachers though
  • Iluvmy2kiddies
    December 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    No changes here in FL... I wouldn' want my kid to have a longer school day.
  • hcdeubof3
    December 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I don't think it is the best solution. I don't think the problem is not enough time in the classroom, I think it poor teaching and primarily parents making school a nonpriority and school a babysitter. The difference between public and private : the parents with kids in private are all like minded and think school is important. 

Kids & Fun!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN