Kids & Fun!

Cafe Kelly
High School Bans Makeup for a Day So Our Daughters Can See How Beautiful They Are
November 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM

High School Bans Makeup for a Day So Our Daughters Can See How Beautiful They Are

Posted by Jeanne Sager

makeupLooking for a new holiday to celebrate? How about No Makeup Day? Yup, it's real. Even better, it was dreamed up by a bunch of teenage girls and celebrated at their high school last week.

You couldn't get me to go back to high school if you paid me a large sum of money and threw a few chocolate bars in to sweeten the pot. But something tells me I would have been pretty comfortable at New London High School. At least for a day.

The girls who created No Makeup Day and convinced their administrators to go through with it say it was a response to the pressure put on teenagers -- especially teen girls -- to be "perfect." They were hoping a day with no makeup would help remind their classmates that beauty is skin deep.

I'd like to wrap each of those girls in a big, fat hug.

I look at some of the teen girls walking around the mall, and I shudder. They look like they're preparing for a Vogue magazine shoot instead of shopping for a new pair of Uggs. The question is why they feel that much makeup and those kind of clothes are necessary. Is it society's pressure or their parents' failure to fight said pressure?

My daughter is only 7 and far too young for real makeup. But already I'm struggling with how to explain the concept of beauty to her without making her feel pressured to reach some impossible goal.

I look at her, and I see a beautiful girl (doesn't every mother?). But I know I will one day have to face her desire to use makeup, to dress fashionably (forget one day, we're already there!). The challenge isn't in whether or not to allow her to do so but in explaining that clothes and makeup are there to enhance beauty that already exists, not to "make" one beautiful.

I'm not saying No Makeup Day should be every day, although I'd like to see an event like this in every school in America at least once a year. Makeup and beautiful clothes aren't inherently bad, but our girls need to know how to use them appropriately in their lives.

Do you struggle with this with your daughter? Would you be up for a No Makeup Day?

Image by Jeanne Sager

Replies

• signingmama2915
    November 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    I don't have a daughter but I have a little from.big brothers big sisters and I would love for her school to do this. She has been into.make up, fake nails, designer clothes, looking perfect since she was 11!
  • lenoxclan
    November 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I plan to teach her the basics of makeup..But, I am also planning to show her that True beauty is on the inside.

I NEVER wore make up in high school..But, I seriously didn't care about boys or being popular..I cared about me..I honestly never thought, well I'm not pretty..  I guess my mom did a good job raising me there.

I hope I am as sucessful with my child.

• ZakkarysMom
    November 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    I dont have a daughter but i like the idea of having a no make up day.
  • jbyrd898
    November 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I dont have a daughter, but I imagine the pressure in high school is hard.

• MaryanneMac
    November 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Abigail is way to young (less then a year) so no make-up problems, yet.  I go make-up free almost everyday so that isn't a problem.

• Babybear89
    November 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    I am already fighting the obsession with clothes and shoes and its because of what I like and find entertaining.

Kids & Fun!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts