Unique Baby Names

bellaj9
help with the spelling of my baby name
by bellaj9
June 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Hello! I just posted this in another Baby Name group but didn't know if you would also see it here so I'm repeating it...thanks in advance for your help!

We are having our first child in 8 weeks. We would like to name her Gianna, but I prefer to spell it Giana. My husband is concerned that people will mispronounce it. But I think it looks better and is more feminine. Also I like the fact that it's a little unique in it's spelling. I have a name that always needs to be spelled to people bc there are many ways to spell it. It hasn't bothered me in my life, so this does not hold me back in naming our child. What are your thoughts on the spelling of the name? Thanks!

Replies

• Jerichosmommy
    June 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I wouldn't pronounce Gianna or Giana any differently. But personally, I think Gianna actually looks more feminine than Giana :o) There is a chance that no matter which way you spell it, people will be spelling it wrong. I think it looks fine either way, it's not like you want it to be Jeeohnhah or something freaky like that lol! But at the end of the day it's what you and your husband like, and can agree on. Gl!

• mj.bullion
    June 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

^^ what she said. :]

• bellaj9
    by bellaj9
    June 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Thank you. You're probably right... But it's the agreeing part that will be tricky. Lol
  • RoseSiO2
    June 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I don't see a problem spelling it with one n.  If you that is the way you like it than it is fine.

I think if you have to explain a spelling saying Giana with one "n" is easier than some other alternate spellings.  Example.  I have to always spell out my name when I give it  "Laurie" vs "Lori"

• Blue_Spiral
    June 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Well, Giana is a bit more phonetic. Two consonants usually shortens the vowel and I assume you want it pronounced "Jee-ON-a" right?

So, it would be more likely to be mispronounced if spelled like Gianna than Giana (unless they think it rhymes with Diana???), but I doubt it would ever be much of a problem for people to pronounce either way.

I agree that Gianna looks more feminine for some reason.

• bellaj9
    by bellaj9
    June 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments! You know what I found interesting? I asked a friend today and she liked Gianna in type and Giana when she wrote it by hand. isn't that funny? 

• thatgirlNH
    June 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I think Giana is fine and I would have no problem pronouncing it.

Unique Baby Names

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts