Baking 101

The_Doodle
Do you like super soft chocolate chip cookies? ETA Made them in chocolate, too.
December 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I know I do. I just finished making a batch of cookies from a new recipe I found that claimed to make soft cookies and dammit. They're right. Now I've eaten two and want a third. The secret ingredient is cornstarch, apparently. And I made my cookies way bigger than the recipe called for and still baked for exactly 10 minutes. They are perfect.

http://kelseysappleaday.blogspot.com/2011/08/best-ever-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Readers, whatever you're doing, stop.  Right now.  Make these cookies NOW.  I promise you won't be sorry.  Well, you might be because it'll be near impossible to not eat the entire batch of these incredible cookies.

I know (well, I've heard) there are people out there who like crispy cookies.  I'm not one of them.  I like fluffy, soft, chewy cookies--the kind that puff up when they're baking and barely spread at all.  These cookies are just that.  Perfectly that, in fact.

I already had a really great chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I wanted to give these a shot.  I was a bit skeptical of the recipe when I saw cornstarch in the ingredient list,  but I decided to give them a try.  I know cornstarch is very light and figured that might add some lift to the cookies.  Whether it was the cornstarch or not, thse cookies definitely lifted.  I used a standard-sized cookie scoop to drop them on the cookie sheet and they came out perfectly round and uniform--just ready for a photo shoot.  And so, so good.  The best ever, in fact.  My new favorites :-)

Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
barely adapted from Anna Olson, Food Network Canada

Ingredients: 
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened 
3/4 c. brown sugar 
1/4 c. granulated sugar 
1 egg 
2 tsp. vanilla extract 
2 c. all purpose flour 
2 tsp. cornstarch 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.

3.  Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chunks.

4.  Using a standard-sized cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto a prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges.  (The tops will not brown, but do NOT cook longer than ten minutes.)

5.  Let cool, on the sheet, on a wire rack for five minutes.  Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely.  Makes approximately 3 dozen.  Try not to eat them all.

ETA: I wanted to try some different flavors...so I bought some Reeses peanut butter chips. I made these cookies and added an extra tablespoon of butter with about 1/3 cup cocoa powder to the batter and the PB chips. They turned out sooo good, better than the original, I think.

Replies

• rmp
    by rmp
    December 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Thanks for sharing !!!

• wingsfan1234
    December 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM

thanks for sharing!!!  now if only I had an oven to bake some in

• psych_mom
    December 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    I like soft cookies and the regular ones I bake are that way. The trick is to not over cook them.
  • gmadiane
    December 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

love them

• rmp
    by rmp
    December 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I have a question ?

Where can I find bittersweet chocolate chips??

I found milk chocolate, semi sweet, white chocolate and dark chocolate.

Thank you !

• The_Doodle
    December 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I'm not sure. Anytime I get chocolate chips I get the milk chocolate ones. I made these because I found some chips in my cabinet.

Quoting rmp:

I have a question ?

Where can I find bittersweet chocolate chips??

I found milk chocolate, semi sweet, white chocolate and dark chocolate.

Thank you !

• 4kidz916
    December 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I love soft cookies.  Thanks for sharing.

• rmp
    by rmp
    December 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Thank you for your response . I will make them with regular chocolate chips.

• Paperfishies
    December 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    Awesome! I love soft cookies!
  • hollamissy
    December 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    Bump

Baking 101

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to