Baking 101

DanielleK21
Ideas to keep kids happy and occupied indoors during bad weather
September 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Its almost that time :-( Weather not so ideal for playing outside. So what do you do to keep your kids from going stir crazy and driving you nuts with out destroying the house?

Please list ages for the activity also.

Thank you.

Replies

• melaniecerise
    September 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

pumpkin patch and corn mazes. they are 4 and 5

• frndlyfn
    September 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

We have coloring books, reading books, bought some watercolor paints she can use on coloring books or blank paper, stickers, etc.  All sorts of things.  We have had all but the water colors since age 3.  We also have board games appropriate for ages 3 and up.

• 1busymomma03
    September 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

My kids do lots of arts and crafts. I let them make puppets and put on puppet shows. I give them cardboard boxes and let their imaginations run wild. They also like to build indoor tents or forts out of blankets, write scripts and then act them out, or write their own books. Basically anything that involves using your imagination. They have lots of toys, but often end up playing with the most random things! LOL

• DanielleK21
    September 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Cheap balloons, Pack of 50 for like a $1. Blow them up and my kids go wild. lol ages 3 and 5.

• fineyouguyswin
    September 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    So glad it rarely gets that bad here lol pinterest :)
  • DanielleK21
    September 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

:/ dont make me hate my living location more today Melissa. Ill take it out on you and blow up your phone everytime I get angry!!! LOL Weather has been crappy all week here and Im already loosing it.

• fineyouguyswin
    September 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    Its been hot here :( my pinterest board has lots of crafts lol

Quoting DanielleK21:

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

:/ dont make me hate my living location more today Melissa. Ill take it out on you and blow up your phone everytime I get angry!!! LOL Weather has been crappy all week here and Im already loosing it.

• 4kidz916
    September 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I would probably go crazy it was already getting too cool to play outside.  We do video games, reading, board games, crafts, movie time, and I would let the kids do things in the kitchen like helping bake cookies.

• SallyB_LMT
    September 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Weather here keeps us in about 8 months out of the year, it's either too rainy *usually* or too cold.  Mostly just too wet.  My kids are 8ds, 6ds, 4dd, and 2ds.  Here are a few things we like to do:

Hide and seek (regular and variations like 'sardines' where there's one hider and everyone else seeks and when they find the hider they hide with them and the last person to find them is the hider for the next game or hide the thimble).  

Board games like chess, checkers, hungry hippos, candyland, trouble, etc...also play regular and kinect games on the xbox.  

Put together puzzles and geotrax.  Depending on the age appropriateness of the puzzle this is good for all of them.

I make the older ones (8 & 6) read to the younger ones (4 & 2).  They like to read, so we go to the library once a week, there are usually lots of programs at the library for the little ones, like story time or sing a longs. 

Computer games from 'coolmath.com' or 'lego.com' are both fun sites for my older 2, the little ones like 'pbskidsgo.com'.

Make cookies and muffins and pies and cakes, because they're fun to make and because they can all help in their own ways.  Playdoh or flubber are fun and you can make your own, there's a recipe at   http://www.omsi.edu/for-kids

Try out exercise videos from the library or thrift store...we like the ones with bellydancers and jazzercise. 

Music is awesome for any occasion, we have made a rhythm band (good if you don't have a headache), attempted to learn various instruments, listen and sing along to various kids' music cds, crafted our own musical instruments from various household items, etc.

Dollar store is always good incentive to clean their mess up (if you have time to take them and a couple dollars each).  I call it incentive...it's really bribes.  However it works and I like having a clean house. 

Pillow forts and storytime with popcorn and cocoa for snack.  When it gets really cold we like to take a blanket over to the heat vent and all sit with our feet under it while we read or watch cartoons.

If you must get out of the house or go crazy a lot of times there are mommy matinees, where you can go watch a movie for a couple bucks and take the kids with you.  Or open playtime at the community center, also a couple of bucks per child.  More expensive is the children's museum (although you can check out the pass from the library).  Or if it's not pouring down rain you can go to the zoo, often if it's overcast people won't go, because they don't want to take the chance it might rain.

• DanielleK21
    September 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    These are awesome :-)

Baking 101