Baking 101

MixedCooke
CAKE POPS??
November 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM

So my daughter's 4th birthday party is this weekend and it is a Little Einsteins theme, so I was thinking of making cake pops to look like little music batons but have seen soooo many varying recipes with them!

1) they used an actual round shaped cooking pan to make them

2) they mushed the cake with some frosting and then formed the ball (kinda how I make my rum balls, margarita balls and pina colada balls) but I dont see how that one stays on the stick??

What do you ladies recommend if you have done them?? Do I keep them refrigerated before I serve them?

Replies

• KME3
    by KME3
    November 9, 2011 at 12:58 AM
    Bump
  • daiseymae2
    November 9, 2011 at 5:34 AM

I've never made them, but my friend who does it the second way.

• 4kidz916
    November 9, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I've never made them either.  I believe from some of the posts here, the second way is the actual "real" way to make them.  I've seen a round pan that's a short cut but some have said they wouldn't turn out the same as the ones where you crumble the cake and mix it with frosting.  Good luck!

• melaniecerise
    November 9, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I have never made them, but I hear the second way is the way to make them. I would love to see pics when you are done

• MSRR323
    by MSRR323
    November 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I make them the morning before a party, like you said in #2. I put them on a baking sheet and put the sticks in them and then freeze them until the morning of the party, ice them and they will thaw in the mean time.

• Mommy2seven
    November 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I made halloween theme'd cake pops (the 2nd way mentioned)...

1. make the cake, and either break it up real good with your hands or put it in the food processor I've done it both ways and I like the food processor.
    2. put about 1/2 a can of frosting I'd say about 3/4 of a cup, enough to mix thoroughly and then when you grap a small amount it will form a ball.
    3. make all the little ball's the size you'd like, I put mine on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for an hour.
    4. after and an hour heat some chocolate melts in the microwave or on the stove in a double boiler (I use med. heat, pan with water simmering and a bowl that is safe over heat), melt the chocolate slowly so that it don't over cook, once its starting to melt you can usually turn off the burner and let it finish.
    5. have your sticks ready, chocolate ready and bring out your cold cake pops dip the stick in melted chocolate and then slide it into the cake pop about an inch or so depending on the size of your cake pop.  I put my stick pop in a mini cupcake pan stick up back in the fridge for another hour so the chocolate will harden.
    6. after the hour you can decorate, (only bring a few at a time so they don't all get to warm cause the decorating part can be time consuming), (I add a little bit of vegetable oil to thin the chocolate melts) you need something to hold the finished cake pop, styro-foam is recommended, I use small cups filled with beans cause I didn't have any stryo-foam. 

I have the other ones on my profile :) I also did cake bon-bons cause I ran out of sticks, they were still good!

• 1busymomma03
    November 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I have made lots of cake balls. I always make them the second way.

One thing you want to me careful of is not to add too much icing to the crumbled cake. If you add too much icing it gets gooey, and they will slide off of the sticks. IMO, they also don't taste as good when they are too soft and gooey on the inside. I only add a couple of spoonfuls of icing to the crumbled cake mixture. If you use a box cake mix, then the cake tends to be very moist already, so you don't need much icing at all. When I make boxed strawberry cakes, I only need a tiny amount because the cakes are already so moist. Other flavor cakes tend to need a little more than the strawberry cakes, but you still want to add the icing a little bit at a time so that you don't add too much.

You also want to make sure to roll the cake balls very firmly when you are rolling them. The first time I made them I was afraid to roll them too tightly and they crumbled and fell off of the sticks. You want them to be tight and firm so that they can hold their shape well.

Here are some pics of the some  that I have done over the years.

For a boy baby shower..

Christmas shaped cake pops for teacher gifts.

Not exactly cake pops because these aren't on sticks, but these were for my cousin's twin boys birthday at school.

Christmas cake pop gift set (these weren't wrapped in plastic yet, so you can see them better..lol).

I love making cake pops!! They are so fun, and everyone always loves them!

• 1busymomma03
    November 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Oh, another tip that I just thought of. When you are melting your chocolate (or candy melts, almond bark, etc), add a bit of vegetable shortening. It thins out the chocolate so that it goes on smoothly and doesn't get clumpy. I also like melting my chocolate on the stove instead of the microwave. I use a make shift double boiler..because I'm too cheap to buy an actual double boiler. LOL. I take a small pot and put some water in it, then sit a bowl on the top of the pot of water. As the water heats up the chocolate melts. I like that it stays a constant temperature and doesn't cool and harden or get clumpy as I'm working on the cake pops. =)

• fineyouguyswin
    November 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    The second way is the way to go :0)
  • tephsa
    by tephsa
    November 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    I made cake pops with my daughters and they turned out great. Only thing was they weren't round anymore. What do you put them into to keep their shape? Styrofoam?

Baking 101

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts