The Pet Lounge

lifsbtrblond
Flea & Tick home remedies?
June 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I prefer not to use chemicals on my 3 month old pup. I wast wanting to know if anyone knew of good home remedies that actually work for their animal?

Replies

• Snowcat60
    June 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I wish I knew of any to help you, but I don't. All I can say is stay away from any flea collars made by Hartz.I used the pill Sentenel for my dog Buddy and it worked well for the fleas and a host of other pests. Yet, it is somewhat expensive.

• MrsParsons11
    December 21, 2012 at 1:45 AM
    Cheap and affective way is bath them in dawn dishsoap. Works!
  • JasonsMom2007
    December 21, 2012 at 1:46 AM
    good luck we are battling them terribly this year!
  • lifsbtrblond
    December 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM

So i found out 3 parts apple cider vineger and 1 part water work really well. i just pout it in a spray bottle and spray him down really well and it has even helped keep ticks off it seems!!!

• EarlGrayHot
    January 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Sorry but commercial remedies are what works.  You just have to use something vet recommended for your puppy's age and weight.  Flea collars really don't work anyway.  If you already have an infestation you must get the pill that kills all live fleas within a hal an hour.  Then the appropriate flea med from the vet.  Lots of washing and vacuming then.  And don't keep the animal out of rooms-fleas prefer the animal to you but if they can't get to the animal they will bite on humans.  Trust me-we stopped giving Revolution to our cats because they never go outside and it was a HUGE mistake.  By using commercial meds you can also protect your pup from heartworm, a mosquito-born illness.  "Natural" is not always better or safer.

• lifsbtrblond
    January 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM

thanks but we found out that original dawn dish soap works great and our vet is ok with it! it may take several washes but the fleas jst fall off dead in the tub and u dont have to let them soak. You just rub it in really well and get it to the skin then 2 days later do it again. we only had to do it 4 times and all the fleas were gone! The vet was okay with it because it wouldnt harm our pup and it kept our pup from having to take a flea dip. They told us jst to give him a bath once a week once it was under control and it worked amazingly!!!! 

• babygoose78
    February 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

You can sprinkle borax powdered soap under furniture. You can also activate and cut up a flea collar and put it in the vacuum bag so when you vacuum it will continue to kill the fleas. The hardest part is the life cycle of a flea, have to attack all stages.

• CollinBayleeMom
    February 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    I agree with borax, Dawn dish soap, and putting a flea collar in the vacuum. That is what I used when we had an infestation a couple years ago and it worked (plus ONE application of flea preventative). Now I give my dogs garlic twice a week (one glove). Haven't seen any fleas since and only find 2-3 ticks/yr.
  • stargazerwolf
    March 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Yep, dawn dishsoap is safe, just don't let him eat it lol. Also you may want to use a conditioner after using the dawn dishsoap because it will dry the skin out. :)

The Pet Lounge