30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
LuciAlly
Child terrified of bugs....nothing new right? WRONG!!!
April 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Hey Ladies!!! So, my 3 1/2 year old Luciana has a new fear....BUGS! My husband and I are NOT like that about bugs at all. She completely looses a noodle! Screaming, crying and scaring a lot of the kids at daycare. She is to the point that the daycare provider told me that when everyone goes outside for play time, Luci actually spends most of the time outside looking for bugs(ants and mosquitos are the most common where I live) and will proceed to flip out, until she stops and finds another one. It's aparently becoming a problem and I don't know how to help her be less affraid. She has never had a sting or bite(other than blackflies and mosquitos) before so it's not the association with pain or anything I don't think. She doesn't understand that when I tell her there is nothing to be affraid of. I am just sort of at a loss as to how to help her with the fear short of puting an ant on her! LOL! Not that it's funny, I can only imagine the reaction to that if someone did that to her. I don't want to scare her more so I am sort of at a loss and I don't want daycare to say she can't go outside any more :( Ideas here would be great! Thank you          -Ally

Replies

• AuntieMom101
    April 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    My 4 yr old is the exact same way about most bugs. She lets out the loudest blood curdling scream and cries like crazy!!!! I have calmed a few of her bug fears by telling her about the wonderful things a bug can be good for. (Like bees). She still has the fear but at least she can go outside without screaming and crying the whole time :)
  • Stephd710
    April 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

My 2 year olds are the same way.  At first they were curious about bugs and then one day they just snapped and decided bugs were scary.  One of them is ok with getting a shoe and smashing the bug, the other will stand on a chair or couch and scream until I get rid of it.  I dont know what happened.  LOL!  Is there a zoo nearby with an insect exhibit you could take her to?  Maybe show her all the bugs and how pretty some of them are and stuff like that?  I personally hate bugs myself and try not to freak out in front of my girls, im killing the bug calmly but on the inside I am FREAKING out.  LOL!  

• breebree04
    April 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

My dd was like this too. As she got older, shes 8 now, she got better with smaller bugs. ants, rollie pollies, worms, ect. but she freaks out if she even sees a spider and about has a heart attack if it was on her!!! The other day she had a tiny spider on her leg, she quickly flung it off and started screaming bloody murder. Her dad killed the spider (in front of her) and she still continued to scream and cry. She wouldnt even get down off the couch and walk on the floor, we had to carry her. I absolutely hate spiders too so I cant say to much but I definitely think she overreacts. In time your dd will get better about bugs but Im sure there will be some that she will always fear.  

• egal105
    by egal105
    April 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Try reading her books about bugs.  I'd start with illustrated ones and work up to the ones with photograph pictures.  Maybe a bug doing something she likes to do to make it relatable...

She's still young, but even Ladybug Girl books might be help.  Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy would be good because they talk about the things bugs do and what they'd do if they were bug super heros.

Good luck!

• AllofFive19
    April 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM

My daughter just started that, too. She's 5. She's never had a problem with bugs before. She's even held bugs. 

• Saharra
    by Saharra
    April 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    I had one that was afraid of bugs and one that was not (thought my one that was afraid was not nearly as bad as what your are telling me!). But maybe go on a walk with a group of people who love bugs and can get excited about them (hard to find, but here's the thought!). If they are all excited with one person holding one and talking about it and what it can do, it may change her perception on them. With my oldest, it was caterpillars. He was terrified. I'd pick one up and pet it and talk about how it would turn into a beautiful butterfly and ask if he wanted to touch. For the longest time he would say no. Then brother got interested. And he and I would find "pet" caterpillars. To him, it looked like we were playing hide and seek with them and then they became fun.
    Another one was centipedes. (Gross!). I couldn't do that one, so I called my cousin out and she loves bugs and gets excited about them. So as we are walking along, she is finding them and asking the kids if they could find them. They got over it and found a bunch to take home (they did not come though!)
    And the last one was newts and frogs. Yeah, those dosnt take as long and they were fascinated with my cousins touch. Spiders are awesome now, and some are just annoying, but not scary. Good luck!
  • wulfeyes05
    April 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM

She'll probably grow out of it if you don't make anything of it. I was scared of bees and wasps as a kid and I still am. My mom is allergic and put the fear of them into me as a child. Now when I see one I do all kinds of ninja spy moves to avoid it.

• Tckosdk.2012
    April 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Try bug movies like Bugs Life & A Bee Story. Also get some fake bug toys. I've heard good things about doing both of those things.

• Mrs.Godfrey
    April 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM

my little one  is not like this with all bugs... but ants... always and only ants... i dont understand it either... but his fear is intense... and he cant sleep if hes seen one anywhere near the house...

• JenD_77
    by JenD_77
    April 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM

My 5 year old wont sleep in his room if he thinks there is a spider in there, if he thinks he sees a web of any kind he will refuse to sleep in there. My 8 year old screams if he sees one but otherwise is the one to start the pandemic of "scary stuff" anyways.  I'm lucky my girls who are 3 and 2 havent decided if they should be scared or not, though sometimes they will go along with the being scared bit that their older brothers do.. my 2 year old is almost fearless and will touch (or eat) anything once.. crickets included.

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts