30 Something Moms

lovinmyair
What would you do?
April 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I was driving down a busy highway and almost ran over a 1 year old who ran out in front of me.  I stopped and looked around thinking there would be a frantic mom or dad and did not find anyone.  I forgot to bring my cell phone and didn't want the child to be ran over so I brought the child out of the road and waited 30 minutes when no mom or dad came out.  I wasn't thinking and put the child in my sons car seat and ran to the police office where the police took the child.  All I could think about were my children and how even a minute of my children being gone or quiet would send me into a frenzy.  Now, at the time I wasn't thinking about someone thinking I stole the child.  I was thinking about the child getting killed or ran over so I did what I thought was right.  

Replies

• fatcat0908
    April 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    I would have knocked on doors until someone either told me where the boy lived or allowed me use of their phone to call the police.
  • lovinmyair
    April 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Quoting fatcat0908:

I would have knocked on doors until someone either told me where the boy lived or allowed me use of their phone to call the police.

I thought of that too, but I was a little afraid that someone could lie and say they had a child or didn't or something like that.

• diaperstodating
    April 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    A one year old was alone on a busy highway?
  • diaperstodating
    April 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    I would have had my phone with me. I guess I would call 911.
  • lovinmyair
    April 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

A one year old was alone on a busy highway?

Yes, he may have been close to two, but my guess would have been about 1 1/2 or so.  He wasn't really talking and had that unsteady walk if you know what I mean.

• elzmnsf
    by elzmnsf
    April 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM
    I think since you got the baby to safety you did right. Wether pounding on doors, or calling from a cell, or taking the child to the cops.... You got him to safety.
  • Crissy2424
    April 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I'm glad you got him to someplace safe, but I would of knocked on doors. Yes, someone could of said that was their kid, but I doubt it. Plus, you could of asked to see a pic they had of this child because I know I have thousands in our house. Yes, you could think photoshop, but it is worth a try. Plus, a parent should of been close or calling out because they couldn't find their child.

• e-doolittle
    April 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    Nicely put

Quoting elzmnsf:

I think since you got the baby to safety you did right. Wether pounding on doors, or calling from a cell, or taking the child to the cops.... You got him to safety.
  • 12yrmama
    April 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I don't think I would have been very clear headed in that situation, so knocking on doors in a strange neighborhood wouldn't have occured to me. I probably would have done the same as you.

• emarin77
    April 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I woudn't worry what others think.  What you did was the right thing.  Did you call the police to confirm they found the child's parents?

30 Something Moms