30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
bunnywzrd
My daughter is an extremely picky eater. Need some help.
April 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I need some food ideas for a child that eats almost nothing. They would need to be recipes with few ingredients. She wont eat anything that has a bunch of stuff mixed together.

She likes chicken and fish. She will eat beef but it isn't her favorite. The only veggies she will eat are grean beans, corn and carrots. The only fruit she will eat is black olives. (i guess black olives are a fruit) She likes breads and cheese.

I just don't know what to do for her. She is 10 years old and weighs 50 lbs. and 52". She refuses to try anything new.  When she does eat it's only a few bites then she says she is full. She would eat junk food all day long if I let her. She gets tired easy and has headaches right often. Doctor said it's probably from not eating enough.

I have thought about putting her in therapy to see if she has some type of eating disorder. I don't know if that will help or make it worse.

Thanks

Replies

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    April 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Wow ... at 10 I think it may be an eating dissorder - I would be concerned with the tiredness and headaches.  My DD is 5 feet and 85 lbs and mine is not overweight - Dr says she's perfect - I can only imagine that yours is extremely skinny.

Have you tried shakes ?  Smoothies or milkshakes ? These are easy ways to sneak in some fruits, a raw egg (yes it will NOT kill you)  protein powder or nutritional powder, dairy. 

The other thing that comes to mind when I read the ingredient list is mexican food ;  quesadillas with chicken, cheese and black olives, burritos with shredded chicken, seasoned corn, rice and cheese.   My daughter is not big on mixed foods either but mexican is always a welcomed dinner at our house.   As a matter of fact tonight I'm making green chilis chicken enchiladas.

• Briesmom38
    April 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I would definitely be concerned with the tiredness and headaches.  My dd is 11 and she's 5'7" and 98lbs, tall and thin, but within range.  I don't give my dd a choice about not eating.  She may get smaller portions but she is expected to eat everything she is given, whether she likes it or not,lol  There have been a few nights that she has sat at the kitchen table after we were done finishing up something she wasn't too thrilled about eating...

Luckily most things that we eat she likes.  She's a big fruit and veggie fan so that makes things easy.

Mexican is big at my house too.  Especially grilled chicken quesadillas, and beef tacos (my dd's favorite).

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    April 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Same thing at my house too ; she's a big fruit and veggie eater, and eats a big variety of ingredients,  unless I really make something I specifically know she doesn't like or really spicy ... DD eats what's on her plate period.  She became picky at some point and I decided I would have none of that ! 

Quoting Briesmom38:

I would definitely be concerned with the tiredness and headaches.  My dd is 11 and she's 5'7" and 98lbs, tall and thin, but within range.  I don't give my dd a choice about not eating.  She may get smaller portions but she is expected to eat everything she is given, whether she likes it or not,lol  There have been a few nights that she has sat at the kitchen table after we were done finishing up something she wasn't too thrilled about eating...

Luckily most things that we eat she likes.  She's a big fruit and veggie fan so that makes things easy.

Mexican is big at my house too.  Especially grilled chicken quesadillas, and beef tacos (my dd's favorite).

• BuckeyezRule
    April 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I do agree, and my kids love pretty much everything, fruits, veggies, salads, etc. but, I have friends who have picky eaters who refuse things. You can say eat it, but really not force.

Op, yes, your dd is way small. I do have a tall 8yo, but she is 55" and 61lbs, and looks rail thin. I can only imagine what yours is like. :*( my dd is the skinniest of all her slender friends!!! Of course, I say that, and I was 5'10" and 85lbs in 7th grade. I did eat though. I was very picky, but I had to stay at the table until my plate was empty. I wouldn't do that today to my kids though.

trail mix, string cheese, high protein snacks might help. I also agree, with those ingredients, Mexican sounds like the way to go.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Same thing at my house too ; she's a big fruit and veggie eater, and eats a big variety of ingredients,  unless I really make something I specifically know she doesn't like or really spicy ... DD eats what's on her plate period.  She became picky at some point and I decided I would have none of that ! 

Quoting Briesmom38:

• Briesmom38
    April 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I actually put my foot down with her when she was little.  There was no way I was going to have a child that would only eat chicken nuggets or mac and cheese,lol  Which I have to say was the best thing I ever did.  She's very open to trying new things and since she's getting older and her taste buds are changing, she'll even try something she may have not liked before and finds that she now likes it.  She's even starting to like a little spice...  Which is perfect since SO and I like spicy foods!

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Briesmom38:

• mypitusadoll
    April 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I am glad you are asking for ideas. I think you may benefit from reading this book on nutrition and children: "The No Gimmick Guide to Raising Fit Kids" by Robert S. Andersen, M.D. Some chapters may apply to your situation and some may not, but I think it may be helpful. I am sending you a private message. Hang in there. ((Prayers and Hugs)). BTW I like the bunny!

• annelauer
    April 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Has she always been this picky or is it a new thing?

• bunnywzrd
    April 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

she has always been pretty picky but it has slowly gotten worse. There are things that she used to eat that she wont now.

Quoting annelauer:

Has she always been this picky or is it a new thing?

• KylesMom409
    April 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    Thanks for sharing!

Quoting mypitusadoll:

I am glad you are asking for ideas. I think you may benefit from reading this book on nutrition and children: "The No Gimmick Guide to Raising Fit Kids" by Robert S. Andersen, M.D. Some chapters may apply to your situation and some may not, but I think it may be helpful. I am sending you a private message. Hang in there. ((Prayers and Hugs)). BTW I like the bunny!

• irritablekat
    April 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

My daughter is picky as well. She will eat any meat that is not chewy, dairy, and most fruit. It is a struggle to get her to eat vegetables. I don't have to worry about her weight, as she is 54" tall and 80lbs at 7 years old. I just fight to get her to eat healthy.. DH is no help there. What I have started doing is involving her in meal planning, We made chicken noodle soup for dinner the other night, I told her she had to pick 3 vegetables to go in it, she chose carrots, celery, and cucumber. The cucumber ended up being on the side but I let her pick out the noodles, and taste test the soup while we were cooking. I just want healthier habits. She helps me make zuccini 'cake' (its a bread in cake pan) and she likes operating the grater. I hope you find some answers, or that its just a stubborn phase. Good luck!

And I love the bunny too!

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts