30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
lcm3181
Annulment
by lcm3181
April 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

My ex husband has petitioned the catholic church for an annulment. We dated 2 years. Were married 5 years and have 2 children as a result of our marriage. We split because he didn't want to be a husband anymore and he thought he was depressed...which I was supportive of., but said was no reason for a divorce. He started dating a girl 1 year after our divorce was final and became engaged to her. She is Catholic. NEITHER of us are catholic and he doesn't want to become catholic. He can't understand why I am offended that he wants our marriage to be annulled. I don't want to be married to him, that isn't why I am upset, I am quite at peace with the divorce now and think it was a blessing in disguise. That being said I was still in my marriage for the right reasons. Would you be upset if your ex wanted to have your marriage judged as invalid?

Replies

• offrdngal
    April 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

So, he wants to basically to deny your children and any life he had with you...just because of a new girlfriend?  What a jackass!  I wouldn't sign anything for him.  You've gotten a divorce and that's good enough for you...don't do him any favors.  If he doesn't want to be catholic...that's his problem.

• lcm3181
    by lcm3181
    April 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I filled out the papers because either I give my testimony or it goes through uncontested. I didn't really have a choice.

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    April 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

it won't be accepted anyways.   You cannot "annul" children which were conceived while you were married. I think your ex is being pressured my his new girlfriend.

I looked it up on wiki ; here's the link I found : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annulment

• Pukalani79
    April 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I'm so sorry.  I would be extremely hurt if that happened.  What are the grounds he's seeking the annullment on?

• lcm3181
    by lcm3181
    April 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Quoting Pukalani79:

I'm so sorry.  I would be extremely hurt if that happened.  What are the grounds he's seeking the annullment on?

He and his fiance can't get married in her catholic church if he is divorced.

• BlueJane
    April 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    I thought you could only annul because of fraud or lying or no kids. There doesn't seem to be any grounds for annulment.
    I would be so hurt if my dh decided he didn't want our marriage to ever have exsisted. It's one thing to break up and get divorced but another to deny it ever happened.

Quoting Pukalani79:

• isaacsmommy68
    April 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Goodluck. The Church will contact you and you can and should respond. I was Catholic and ended up leaving the church over trying to get an annulment. It can be painful and EXPENSIVE! Especially when children are involved.

• lcm3181
    by lcm3181
    April 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

And he keeps telling me that it is just a piece of paper to him, it doesn't change the past. Well if it is just a piece of paper to him then why is he doing it!?! It would be one thing if it was something he whole-heartedly believed in, but he doesn't. And he tells me that the kids don't need to be told about this in the future. I'm not going to throw him under the bus but it sure as hell won't be a secret! He's a good dad so I'd never harm that relationship but hiding things isn't my way of life.

Quoting BlueJane:

I thought you could only annul because of fraud or lying or no kids. There doesn't seem to be any grounds for annulment.
    I would be so hurt if my dh decided he didn't want our marriage to ever have exsisted. It's one thing to break up and get divorced but another to deny it ever happened.

Quoting Pukalani79:

• lcm3181
    by lcm3181
    April 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I should be hearing the decision very soon. I am not paying a dime. He is footing the bill for this one!

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Goodluck. The Church will contact you and you can and should respond. I was Catholic and ended up leaving the church over trying to get an annulment. It can be painful and EXPENSIVE! Especially when children are involved.

• JoGibson
    April 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No, it clearly was not meant to be.  And it clears you if some day your love happens to be catholic.

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN