30 Something Moms

christina259
Hair accessory organizer for my little girl
February 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Yes, I'm being a show off. :) I'm too happy with the end results. I just wanted to share. The best part.... it cost me 9 bucks to make. No more last minute searching for that lost second hairbow before school in the morning.

She still has hairbands and ponytail holders that need a home. I'm planning on making another with different holders but same background for the inside of her closet door. Keepin' the pretty ones on the outside. I probably should have spent that extra buck though so i could put 3 pink fussy things across the bottom the same way I did the top. The flowers and fuzzy thing came from a hairband i purchased at the dollar store. I tore the flowers and fuzzy things off the hairband and hot glued them onto the top of the board (or I should say 3 foam boards stacked together, hotglued and contact paper and ribbon added on top to cover the boring foam board). Everything else came from the dollar store too. I love going into dollar stores, not neccessarily to buy an item for its intended use but to see what i can create from them and still pay next to nothing for a craft project or home decor.

Replies

• Marimaru
    February 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM

That's a really cool idea.  I may need to steal it.  I think I would put a basket, or like a bag with a kind of elastic top (that didn't close all the way, but made kind of a 'lip' to the bag) for the hair ties and such that wouldn't clip onto it.

• loyamom
    by loyamom
    February 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Wow!  Too creative!  I wish I was that crafty.

• countrymomma81
    February 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

That's cute! 

• import1a92
    February 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I think this is FANTASTIC and crafty! Great job momma! 

• lalasmama2007
    February 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Very nice!

• WAHUHeather
    February 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That is really creative. I enjoy doing craft with my daughter and get good ideas but it is hard to get them out of my mind and onto whatever it is I want to make.

• christina259
    February 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Quoting Marimaru:

That's a really cool idea.  I may need to steal it.  I think I would put a basket, or like a bag with a kind of elastic top (that didn't close all the way, but made kind of a 'lip' to the bag) for the hair ties and such that wouldn't clip onto it.

I was trying to figure that one out too.that's a good idea. I read a tip once. It said to put ponytail holders on empty paper towel rolls. I find I'm not disciplined enough or have the time to always slide them back on but it works better than what I used to do. I keep the paper towel rolls with the ponytail holders in the bin and if I'm in a hurry i toss the ponytail holders in the bin untill i can get to them later.Since I've cleared the other stuff out of that bin its not too hard to see what's what in there so for now it works but the wheels are still turning in my mind about a better way to do that. For her hairbands I think I'm going to put a hanging strip of ribbon with loops sewn into it inside her closet door with a big decorative flower or butterflies at the top of the ribbon. I like the owls theme to. I have that in her room. If i could only find lttle tiny owls to put at the top of that ribbon or baby forest creatures. My mind never stops going, lol.Then insert the hairbands into the loops. Saw how to do that online somewhere but can't remember where now. Thought about doing this on the board I made but all the headbands made it look a little messy so figured I could hang them inside the closet.

• christina259
    February 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Quoting WAHUHeather:

That is really creative. I enjoy doing craft with my daughter and get good ideas but it is hard to get them out of my mind and onto whatever it is I want to make.

me too. Sometimes I feel I have to force time to do it. I have to write donw what I need to buy then use one day to go get the stuff which takes a little longer because I bargain hunt, then the next night to work on the project. Never have enough time to do both in one day. IStay up a little later than usual once in a while to do it. kids keep me so busy during the day and right now I have a 4 month old baby. Yeh like I needed to lose any more sleep right. lol. Making things makes me happy and if I start to feel a little down it makes me feel better to get creative even if I pay the price of being dead tired the next day.Love to do this spending time with dd too. She loves to make clothes for her cat using felt fabric. For a seven year old, felt is easy and fun to work with.Not so much fun for our poor cat though. I'd love to work at home making things but I feel lost when it comes to knowing which work at home things I can trust. I'd have to wait untill ds is a little older too.

• VintageWife
    February 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I attached ribbons to the letters on my dd's wall for hers :)

• christina259
    February 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Quoting VintageWife:

I attached ribbons to the letters on my dd's wall for hers :)

Love that. :)

30 Something Moms