30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
alimorgan
Too young to start wearing deodorant?
February 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Maybe this is weird, IDK, I'm winging it here! Quick background, a few days ago my neices and nephews were over and I went in my daughters room, it smelled horrible, thought it was one of them, 2 of them are under 4. Today my daughter comes home from school and I pass her several times as she is doing homework at the table and I smell that same smell, sorry I have to say smelled like stinky ass.  I know shes only 6, she plays hard at school, but the smell is not normal I played outside smell it's like body oder, sweat and I am not sure.....  My husband and I decided to give her deoderant and next shopping trip a light body spray to use before school. Children are cruel this day and age, we don't want kids to start saying mean things to her. Are we wrong for starting this early? Has anyone else done this?........ Are we over reacting?

Replies

• nodramamama311
    February 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    It's silly to think it might be wrong. If they stink, they stink...lol
    Out daughter started wearing deodorant last year, at 10. Also her feet smell SO BAD that we've got her on foot powder and odor eaters. She's an extremely hygienic girl too so it's not that, she's just young and growing up. I don't think you need to worry, kids are all different and go through different things at different times. Just my little opinion
  • CreziaMommyTo2
    February 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

usually when they develope body odor it means puberty is setting in.  i would speak with her pediatrician.  my friends DD is 5 and started and she took her dr in, and sure enough she is starting puberty, so they are stopping it... i can find out more if you need... 

• Babujai
    by Babujai
    February 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    You really think it's just body odor? Deodorant and body spray won't hurt anything as long as you don't make her feel insecure or uncomfortable about it. I'd take her to the doctor just in case though. I started my son on deodorant a while ago just to get it into his routine so that it was routine by the time he needed it.
  • alimorgan

Wow really? that early? if that is the case that would explain the attitude LOL!  Is her daughter going to take some sort of medication for this, is that how they stop it?

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

usually when they develope body odor it means puberty is setting in.  i would speak with her pediatrician.  my friends DD is 5 and started and she took her dr in, and sure enough she is starting puberty, so they are stopping it... i can find out more if you need... 

• MJP76
    by MJP76

I would have made sure she was bathing properly first before jumping to deodorant.

i had this issue with my youngest son around the age of 5/6. I made my husband go in the bathroom and go over again washing ALL of his body parts. Come to find out he was so preoccupied with playing and singing in the tub he wasn't actually bathing... He's 10 now.. Knows how to bathe.. Still not wearing deodorant.

• alimorgan
    February 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Definitely not trying to make her feel insecure! I may be 36 years old but I still remember being a kid and how they are towards other kids sometimes. I myself developed really early and I remember being given deodorant when i was like 8. I just feel weird doing this at 6 

• maureen813
    February 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    I am not a nurse or a medical professional but I am a clinical therapist working with children in schools and within a large mental health center, some children begin to have underarm odor very young even as young as eight or nine years old and some sooner, it usually is a precursor to puberty so check with your pediatrician and use the deodorant.
  • jeda1429
    February 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM

If they stink , they should wear it. lol I don't think it can hurt anything.

• CreziaMommyTo2
    February 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

yes, i can ask her, ill see tomorrow.. and yes mood swings and all... LoL

Quoting alimorgan:

Wow really? that early? if that is the case that would explain the attitude LOL!  Is her daughter going to take some sort of medication for this, is that how they stop it?

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

• ToYnyc
    by ToYnyc
    February 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

i would take her to a pediatrician, its not normal for a 6 year old to have an odor that regular bathing wouldnt control, if shes going through early puberty it can be stopped.

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts