30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
JasonsMom2007
never send a husband grocery shopping
February 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I asked my hubby to run by Costco and get a few things after work: chicken, syrup, carrots, oranges or apples and berries, and eggs
He walks in the door with
4 dozen eggs
13 lbs of oranges
5 lbs of apples
2 lbs of strawberries
1 lb of blackberries
10 lbs of grapefruit
A bag of frozen berries
Plus the other stuff
How in the world are we supposed to eat all of this before it goes bad? He just used a huge chunk of our grocery budget for the month on fruit! We only eat fruit sparingly because of the sugar content. His reply? "We will eat it eventually." Yeah you will after it molds because I won't!
Good thing Costco takes returns. He's normally good about only getting what's on the list but not this time!

Replies

• Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    February 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wow thats a lot of fruit, maybe you could freeze some of it? the berries should be ok to freeze. Mine is great at groceries, i give him a list and he gets that and only that! He will call me if hes not sure..13lbs of oranges is a lot!

• hollydaze1974
    February 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    Noone should go to the grocery hungry, which is what sounds like happened, actually. Especially when you said he usually sticks to the list.
  • snowangel1979
    February 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    You can freeze the berries. If you put the apples in the fridge they last a long time.
    My DH does the opposite he comes home with family t.v. dinners and all processed foods and maybe some bannanas.
  • chinosruca
    February 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Orange juice (fresh is best)
    Fruit smoothies
    Freeze (berries freeze really well)
    Apple pie (can be frozen for future)
  • christina259
    February 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I know what you mean. My hubby buys things that he likes and thinks the rest of us will like it too. Otherwords not kid friendly. oriental meals and chicken and salad. Its healthy, I'll give him that but the kids are still hungry half the time. He forgets half of what I asked him for then he'll brag about the good grocery shopping he did because he bought so much more delicious and healthy food than I do plus saved money. Well. we were kind of hungry that time he went because yes he saved money but he also didn't buy enough to last the week. The next time he went shopping he blew the budget right out of the water more than I ever did.He realized I guess he hadn't gotten enough. He said, "man if groceries aren't expensive these days" . (Well, I told him that when he used to wonder why I spent so much on food)That same night I decided to cook since I was feeling ok(he was cooking to after I had the baby) Thats when I realized he bought all meats and no sides. He did have a few veggies but not even enough of those to go along with each of the meats. So I suppose we were just going to eat meat all week. lol. I feel bad sitting here saying all this because he was just trying to be helpful by getting the groceries since I had just had a baby. I just kept it to myself. After all he was being so good to me in every other way and making sure I was rested after having the baby.

• GraceStrickland
    February 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My husband does the same thing!!!  And we eat A LOT of fruit, but he thinks if he buys a months supply of perishables that he won't need to run out or watch the kids while I go or something.  And I tell him, gently, "sweetie....these things are PERISHABLE and our fridge has limited space.  We can not fit 4 dozen eggs and 10 gallons of milk and a 40 oz tub of sour cream which only you use."  Once he gets a snack in him he will realize he went crazy, but it will never stop him from doing it again.  I just can't stop laughing over your post because it is so familiar!

It's true things can be frozen, but fresh is best and it still takes up space. And if you are watching your fructose you probably don't want a fridge full of berries =)

We can be happy we have sweet hubbies who will go to market for us! :-D

• CampClan
    February 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I never sent my ex to the store unless I was laid up for some reason. And it had to be a really good reason too... like in the hospital after having his child! LOL We use to go together when we had fewer kids & he would still stray from the list!

• JasonsMom2007
    February 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    My hubby does it with everything! He just doesn't get that things go bad or yes it may not go bad and we will use it eventually but we can't afford all of it right now!

Quoting GraceStrickland:

My husband does the same thing!!!  And we eat A LOT of fruit, but he thinks if he buys a months supply of perishables that he won't need to run out or watch the kids while I go or something.  And I tell him, gently, "sweetie....these things are PERISHABLE and our fridge has limited space.  We can not fit 4 dozen eggs and 10 gallons of milk and a 40 oz tub of sour cream which only you use."  Once he gets a snack in him he will realize he went crazy, but it will never stop him from doing it again.  I just can't stop laughing over your post because it is so familiar!

It's true things can be frozen, but fresh is best and it still takes up space. And if you are watching your fructose you probably don't want a fridge full of berries =)

We can be happy we have sweet hubbies who will go to market for us! :-D

• JasonsMom2007
    February 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    I didn't have the time to drive the 40 miles each way to the store and he was already there. I drive to do major shopping but just a few things like this I ask him to go by after work.

Quoting CampClan:

I never sent my ex to the store unless I was laid up for some reason. And it had to be a really good reason too... like in the hospital after having his child! LOL We use to go together when we had fewer kids & he would still stray from the list!

• BlsdWithTwOKids
    February 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Wow that is a lot of fruit....I suggest freezing some of the Berries,You can use the Berries for smoothies,pies...

As far as the apples/oranges I have no idea....

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts