30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
HondaMom82
Has Anyone used Care.com to find a babysitter?
February 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Just wondering if anyone has used the online service to find a babysitter. I just feel like with all the  horrible  things happening to kids these days, that I wouldn't trust ANYONE to watch my kids.... especially a stranger from the internet.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• BlsdWithTwOKids
    February 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

No I have not,my children have never once had a babysitter and if they did I would ask my Grandma,my Aunt or any other family member to babysit..I remember when I was younger it was no problem to have strangers babysit us,my mom and dad got this one babysitter who let me and my brother's eat a lot of goldfish crackers and watch indiana jones movies,now I would be terriified to let a stranger watch my children...

• GraceStrickland
    February 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I have and wasn't happy at all. Anyone can go on there and list themselves as a sitter with XYZ qualifications.  I had several interviews with girls and found most of them could not show proof of their alleged certifications, such as CPR.  One girl was a nursing student, a lifegaurd at a local boys and girls club, had younger siblings she cared for, and proof of CPR certification.  An hour into my husbands date she texted "Umm...Ur kid is having a hissy fit."  But did not answer when I called.  When I went home, she told me not to spaz and that she had handled it.  My children, 6,4, and 1 at the time, where all locked in their room whimpering, and begged me not to leave again.  I asked what happened and they said they were not allowed to say.  I also had two that never showed up at all.

My family has loved all the sitters we had before and after that, the rest of which came from friend and family reccomendations, but the money I spent at care.com and a similar site care4hire was wasted.  I have used both sites in both PA and TX.

My experience was also that most people on that site are looking for regular hours that fit around other jobs and/or school and family life.  When I pay someone $15 an hour to watch my kids I like someone who works with our schedules.

• BlsdWithTwOKids
    February 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

That is awful :-( wow...

Quoting GraceStrickland:

I have and wasn't happy at all. Anyone can go on there and list themselves as a sitter with XYZ qualifications.  I had several interviews with girls and found most of them could not show proof of their alleged certifications, such as CPR.  One girl was a nursing student, a lifegaurd at a local boys and girls club, had younger siblings she cared for, and proof of CPR certification.  An hour into my husbands date she texted "Umm...Ur kid is having a hissy fit."  But did not answer when I called.  When I went home, she told me not to spaz and that she had handled it.  My children, 6,4, and 1 at the time, where all locked in their room whimpering, and begged me not to leave again.  I asked what happened and they said they were not allowed to say.  I also had two that never showed up at all.

My family has loved all the sitters we had before and after that, the rest of which came from friend and family reccomendations, but the money I spent at care.com and a similar site care4hire was wasted.  I have used both sites in both PA and TX.

My experience was also that most people on that site are looking for regular hours that fit around other jobs and/or school and family life.  When I pay someone $15 an hour to watch my kids I like someone who works with our schedules.

• HondaMom82
    February 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Oh my goodness!!! That is totally unacceptable!!!! I can't beleive that she had the nerve to say not to "spaz". First of all, who talks like that anymore??? I would have been livid! No way would I have paid her either.

I was thinking about checking out the site, but no way no how! Me and my husband will have date night AT HOME!!!

• GraceStrickland
    February 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

It's an extreme example, but mainly the point it she interviewed GREAT.

I was pretty angry, she will not find work in this town again.

I hope you do find someone with good parent references =)

Quoting HondaMom82:

Oh my goodness!!! That is totally unacceptable!!!! I can't beleive that she had the nerve to say not to "spaz". First of all, who talks like that anymore??? I would have been livid! No way would I have paid her either.

I was thinking about checking out the site, but no way no how! Me and my husband will have date night AT HOME!!!

• HondaMom82
    February 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I try to teach my children not to be fearful of the world, but I do try to warn them that it can be a scary place. I will be using common sense and caution while searching for a sitter and  I'll use people that I know as references. If at that point I still don't feel comfortable, my husband and I will just have to accept the fact that we live far away from family and we just have to be patient for nights out. So far we don't plan on being around family until July... Its been since last June since we had a night out for ourselves.... And you know what, I think I'm ok with that becase my I know my kids are safe.  

• JaronDMC
    February 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    I used care.com and found a great sitter but you will get tons of people who want the job and it hard to look at all of them. But she had done the background check, had references and good reviews. Also at the interview came with a packet of all her CPR and first aid certificates. But she is not some teenager she in her late 40's does this full time had grown kids. Only thing hard is she is pricey. But she's great and my kids live her. She wanted to be an actress so she love reading and acting out stories and singing with them. She doesn't just sit on the couch while they play.
  • frstldyhmsch
    February 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I actually listed myself on there as an occasional sitter. I know that I'm an honest & reliable person. I know that I'm not crazy either lol. Bottom line is that "nuts" are everywhere and one "nut" can ruin the whole bunch. I can not say that Care.com is not a reliable source because I'm listed on it, but I would advise you to be very careful, do a background check and ask for reliable references. I would also suggest the family spending time with the runner-up caregiver ( I'm talkin' 2 weeks if possible) before she/he actually gets the job. My kids are still pretty young and I know I would be super-duper careful!!!

• meglennox
    February 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    My sister and bil did. They have several sitters/nannies that they use that they found through the site.
  • MayMommy07
    February 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    I also have listed myself on the site....I found a family (thru another childcare site) and I worked for them for 2 years. I don't think all childcare providers are nuts or bad. It's like anything in life...always a few to ruin it. I would do your research and don't believe everything. Good luck!

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN