30 Something Moms

KG34
What Age Did You Or Would You Stop Having Kids?
by KG34
January 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM

My only child is almost 18. I just turned 36, my husband just turned 44. His daughter is 26, his son is 22. We've been married a little over 2 years. Lately we've had people asking if we're going to have a baby together. At first I was like, "No, absolutely not." But lately I've been feeling like maybe we should. There was a time when I was really wanting a little girl. Now, that urge is coming back.

The thing is, my husband feels as if we're too old. His parents were in their early 40's when they had him, and his mom died while he was still a baby, his dad died when he was in his early twenties. He says he wouldn't want to put his child through that. 

I would never intentionally get pregnant without his approval, but if I did by some chance get pregnant, I would be really happy. I think once he got used to the idea, he would be too.

What do ya'll think? Are we too old?

Replies

• KG34
    by KG34
    February 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

We're both homebodies as well. 

Quoting justahousewife:

With my grounded lifestyle I've never much cared to be kid free so I don't have a cut off age. I'd love a few more but I am waiting until the lo is in 1st before going again. SO is older but loves the idea of starting over. We're both homebodies so watching babies grow is welcomed.

• KG34
    by KG34
    February 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I don't feel old at all! People in family age very well. My parents are in their 60's and my dad still runs every morning. 

Quoting jddragonfly:

Done here at 34, however my hubby was 49 with our first and 51 with our second.  Age is just a number, it's how you feel inside.  If you feel old, then you are!  Everybody ages at different rates too.  I've seen 50 year olds that seem older than 80 year olds.  

• KG34
    by KG34
    February 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

His mom was an alcoholic. Her liver shut down. He doesn't drink at all, so I'm not worried about that. His father was extremely overweight and had a massive heart attack. He's in good shape, so I'm not worried about that either.

My main worry is autism. My brother has 2 boys and a girl. Both his boys have extremely low functioning autism. I know that I would love any child I would have no matter what, but it does scare me a little.

Quoting kbeeck:

I think your husband has a good point considering his parents died young, hopefully it's not genetic. You could find yourself raising a baby by yourself. You also have to look at down syndrome that rises as you get older and other birth defects. Would you be okay with that?  Just a lot to consider when you get older and starting over with a baby.

• mamabearlehman
    February 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I had my last baby at 25. We have a boy and a girl 2 yrs apart. Our family is perfect. Although, I wouldn't be completely against having a third child if we were financially stable and it happened before I was 35

• Thunderbug75
    February 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I just had my first and last two months ago. I am 37 yrs old.  My long time BF is 11 yrs older than me.  He has three grown  girls and two young grandsons.  I wish I was younger but sometimes things just go according to your plan.  But Max will be an only child. 

But to answer your question, no I don't think you are too old.

• moroccanmommy
    February 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    Last one was at 37
  • Motherof3inNJ
    February 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I had my 4th child at 29. 

I would definitely have one if I were you. Plenty of people in my family had kids after 35. My mom had me at 22 and my sister at 37 and enjoyed being a mom so much more the second time around.

• mushmom
    by mushmom
    February 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    I had my 1st at 34 and 2nd at 36. Both perfectly healthy. Odds are very much in your favor for a normal pregnancy/baby. You need to do what is best for your family. I would be done at 40.
  • KG34
    by KG34
    February 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Congrats on the baby!

How did your boyfriend react when you told him you were pregnant?

Quoting Thunderbug75:

I just had my first and last two months ago. I am 37 yrs old.  My long time BF is 11 yrs older than me.  He has three grown  girls and two young grandsons.  I wish I was younger but sometimes things just go according to your plan.  But Max will be an only child. 

But to answer your question, no I don't think you are too old.

• irishmama1007
    February 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I'm pregnant with my 3rd and last baby. I will be 32 when she is born.

30 Something Moms