30 Something Moms

cheerwin
My 6 yr old hit a classmate in the face today
January 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I got a call from the principal today. My little girl hit another first grader in the face and I have no idea how to handle it. I have done the basics like time out and taking dessert and nothing seems to work for her. I refuse to raise a bratty kid and need some advice. She has dance class later today but I hesitate to withhold activities as punishment because I don't want to end up using this punishment on a regular basis (say with sports or clubs or something) and punishing her team because of her absence. Any suggestions or (nice) comments about withholding activities?

Replies

• LuvHugs429
    January 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    Earlier bedtime. Tell her the consequences of her actions like she will be kicked out of school or she will have to spend recesses in the Principals office. My last resort is to ever take away the extracurriculars too.
  • TabM
    by TabM
    January 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

First I would talk to her and find out why it happened and come up with a plan to handle the situation better next time and then have her write sentences....I will not hit someone to resolve a conflict. over and over and over. It was effective for me, haven't gotten there with mine but this is my plan.

• TableforSeven
    January 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Did she hit first, or was she retaliating?  If she hit first....then I would punish with chores and an earlier bedtime.  If she was simply standing up for herself.....then I would talk to her about other possible ways to deal with whatever situation led up to the hit (this is assuming she was actually hit first, not just having words thrown at her).

• Leobaby2007
    January 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I was wondering what Judy mentioned. Was she hit first? She could have just been defending herself. Has she done it before?

I guess I would try an earlier bedtime like lunhugs mentioned or restricted access to things she loves at home- computer, TV, IPad, or whatever...

• cheerwin
    February 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM

She was not hit first.  She hit because the other child was annoying her.  I had her write out 5 ways she could have handled the situation.  It seemed to work for a little bit. 

• SallyB_LMT
    February 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I would have her write an apology to the classmate and to the teacher. 

• mumsy2three
    February 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

This is what I would do too.

Quoting SallyB_LMT:

I would have her write an apology to the classmate and to the teacher. 

• MamaCarterof5
    February 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Quoting cheerwin:

She was not hit first.  She hit because the other child was annoying her.  I had her write out 5 ways she could have handled the situation.  It seemed to work for a little bit. 

I would do chore enforcement. We have a list of mundane chores that the kids actually detest doing. If the offense is severe enough, they have to do one or two chores from the age appropriate list. If it persists however, I would cut extra curriculars. One of my daughters has a problem with hitting her brothers and sisters from time to time and she is EIGHT!!! --------- wayyyy to old to be hitting. So, I grounded her from two weeks of gymnastics (and we pay $170 a month for the girls to be in gymnastics so it was a painful choice for us too) That straightened her up, and fast!

• cheerwin
    February 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Unfortunately she loves chores.  She likes things to be in their place, exactly how she wants them.  Her after care director and I have come up with a sticker chart for our kids (she has a twin sister and a step brother who are also acting out).  On good days they get a sticker, bad days they have one taken away and after 2 weeks if they have all of their stickers, I will take them to Build a Bear (which they have been asking for).  I think this may work.  We used a similar tactic for potty training and it worked.  All I know is I am tired of hearing from the school and have no more responses for them when they call.

• 1234abcd4321
    February 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM

does she like tv and video games? those are the first things to go for a few days when i'm looking to punish someone lol.. because kids can live without tv but they don't like to  :)

30 Something Moms